item drastically reduced in price shortly after purchase

Comments

• Am I missing something? A consumer buys an item because they like it and believe it to be a fair price. They're happy with their purchasing decision.

Then the retailer decides to reduce the price and all of a sudden the consumer is unhappy and talking about their rights and writing to the retailer to complain.

We all like a bargain - but we also have to be reasonable.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    SouthUKMan wrote: »
    Am I missing something? A consumer buys an item because they like it and believe it to be a fair price. They're happy with their purchasing decision.

Then the retailer decides to reduce the price and all of a sudden the consumer is unhappy and talking about their rights and writing to the retailer to complain.

We all like a bargain - but we also have to be reasonable

I can take "chutzpah" to a whole new level.

Went to a clothing store in the US with a friend to find that they had a huge sale on. She then spotted that a jacket she had purchased a week or two earlier was now reduced in price. She marched up to the till and told them how annoyed she was that her new jacket was now half the price she had paid ...... and they opened the till and gave her back half the original price without her even having either the jacket or the receipt with her. Banana Republic, Stanford Shopping Mall, CA - awesome customer service when faced with a very feisty young lady :A
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    LilElvis wrote: »
    I can take "chutzpah" to a whole new level.

Went to a clothing store in the US with a friend to find that they had a huge sale on. She then spotted that a jacket she had purchased a week or two earlier was now reduced in price. She marched up to the till and told them how annoyed she was that her new jacket was now half the price she had paid ...... and they opened the till and gave her back half the original price without her even having either the jacket or the receipt with her. Banana Republic, Stanford Shopping Mall, CA - awesome customer service when faced with a very feisty young lady :A

My god. And you're proud of that.
  • SouthUKMan wrote: »
    My god. And you're proud of that.
    Proud of what?
    It wasn't LilElvis that did anything, It was their friend.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 8 October 2017 at 7:06PM
    Am I missing something? A consumer buys an item because they like it and believe it to be a fair price. They're happy with their purchasing decision.

Do you know what though, if you don't ask, you don't get.

As long as you know your rights (as in in this particular situation you have none), then there is no harm whatsoever in asking! When we asked Argos about the iPads we never actually thought they would and we knew we weren't entitled, but they were actually lovely and did the refund straightaway.

Our BIL never pays full price for anything, I don't think! Apart from maybe groceries because they do that online. But he always asks for a discount when eating out or shopping for clothes etc, and more often than not he gets it. I liken him to Del Boy sometimes..but it has served him well!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Some stores do have a price promise that if it goes down or you could have bought it cheaper elsewhere etc.

http://www.shopperpoints.co.uk/2016/02/22/tesco-direct-refund-price-reduced/
  • The bottom line is that the OP now has a partial refund and is happy.
    The retailer in question has sold an item and made the partial refund as a sign of goodwill and although they gave some money back, I'm sure that they didn't make a loss so they are probably happy.

Because the OP is pleased with the exceptional service they received, they may well buy from the same retailer again and recommend them to others so that retailer may end up making more from extra sales than the money they refunded.

All in all, a win for everyone.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Social skills perhaps.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    newleaf wrote: »
    I've emailed them to complain, but I would like to be certain of my rights before I start arguing the toss.

I agree that there is no issue with asking for the difference to be refunded to you and is keeping an eye on the price after buying items is a good thing to do so you have the opportunity to ask.

But the OP went in with completely the wrong attitude by sending it as a "complaint" and potentially planning to "argue the toss" with them about it. It should have been a polite and friendly email asking them if there is anything they can do. Sending it as a complaint is much less likely to get them anything at all and is very unreasonable.
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    Sicard wrote: »
    Social skills perhaps.

This is a forum where a range of views and opinions are sought and exchanged. Personally I find the way the op handled this situation distasteful. End of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure