My staff are doing my head in!!!!

Options

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    One strategy with perpetual moaners is to go more formal.

Make them work for their moans.

Have a meeting and go through the moan(s) in detail getting a very clear description of the problem and what they need to happen to resolve the situation, you don't have to agree any solutions or actions at that time.

once steps are taken to resolve then if the moan continues or gets modified you can return to the pushing it back to the moaner that they are the problem.

For some issues there is the we can't do anything unless you put a grievance in writing often they won't want the hassle.

For the complaints where she is moaning that others are not doing their jobs right often the simple solution is to have process and procedures for everything and get the moaner to write them up as they obviously know better than everyone else on how stuff should be done they are the right one for the job.
    Once they realise that every time they moan they have to do the write up they often back off.

Another strategy is to allocate the work to them till they are so busy they don't have time to moan.

for the more important process and procedures like time keeping and break management then they should be done by the more senior like yourself.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    They have a point about folk being late though off breaks. Could do a one in one out on breaks as we had one that turned up late on shift (so kind of similar), so I got to the point of putting my coat on to get out the door when they arrived, turned up early to make a point and after several months they are starting to turn up on time.

Tittle tackle I'd ask her to make a list over a week and have a meeting as sometimes small stuff turns into bigger stuff (I've not been a tl but we used to run it ourselves for a bit so got used to sorting our problems out) and then see what they are and see if there are things that need tackling
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • pegginout
    pegginout Posts: 993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 July 2018 at 1:42PM
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I think I am going to speak to Chef and explain its her and not anything he had done.
    Then I will speak to her and listen to her gripes.
    I will then action the timekeeping and ask her what she would like me to do about other gripes. Hopefully by involving her it will make her feel like she has been listened to!
    :money: Martin Lewis Rocks!:money:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it carries on you might at some point want to address the continuous moaning more directly. I had a team member who could be intimidating to new staff and we ended up having the "you've had bullying complaints made against you before, we're really not going there again are we?" conversation.
    Did the trick Till the next new starter....
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    If it carries on you might at some point want to address the continuous moaning more directly. I had a team member who could be intimidating to new staff and we ended up having the "you've had bullying complaints made against you before, we're really not going there again are we?" conversation.
    Did the trick Till the next new starter....
    I'm with elsien on this, and i'd be making it very plain that you will tolerate legitimate (contract based) grievances only, and that general moaning will not be tolerated as it impacts the team dynamics with its negativity, which in turn could raise a grievance about herself!
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    pegginout wrote: »
    Hopefully by involving her it will make her feel like she has been listened to!

On the other hand you want to avoid giving her a feeling of too much importance and that she runs the place. I suggest trying to make any discussions about her, not other people. Certainly listen, but point out you won't discuss colleagues with her, any more than you would discuss her with them. You could point out her general moaning masks any legitimate concerns.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    On the other hand you want to avoid giving her a feeling of too much importance and that she runs the place. I suggest trying to make any discussions about her, not other people. Certainly listen, but point out you won't discuss colleagues with her, any more than you would discuss her with them. You could point out her general moaning masks any legitimate concerns.

Throw that Aesop's fable into the discussion.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    Simple..just tell the people below you that they are not important and can be replaced on your whim...at a click of your fingers..they are no more worthy than the rotten eggy smell that escapes your bottom.

You on the other hand are a vital part of the company and with out you the whole business would collapse,staff would be got rid of and the world would stop spinning.

If they stand and laugh at you..then simply say in a very loud voice "Dont you know who i am".

None of the above will help your situation obviously...but might give the poor old staff a good giggle.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    You could point out her general moaning masks any legitimate concerns.

The legitimate concern is yet another out of their depth "manager".
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    The legitimate concern is yet another out of their depth "manager".
    Most managers are out of their depth when they start...only by doing and asking (like the OP) will they improve.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure