Is there any evidence that comparison sites delivers what they promise?

Options
2»

Comments

• PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you believe everything a salesperson tells you?

If I want something, I look into it before buying. Same with price comparison sites, as most use Ofgem's stupid rules.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Anecdotally I've found that Power usage tends to increase when it's cheaper...

So if it says I'm going to save £30 over the year,
    I tend to find that I use an extra £30 in that year...

lol
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • wookie66
    wookie66 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Most effective method to determine any "savings" is to have an accurate figure on kWh of gas and electric used for the previous 12month period, then find out unit cost of gas / electricity each supplier is offering and get an Excel spread sheet set up that number crunches annual kWh usage x unit cost + any standing charges to get an indicative annual sum

Also be careful to check if unit price stated includes or excludes VAT (5% I believe) since this can skew the figures and your calculations when comparing with other suppliers

Why don't they make it simple by all quoting inclusive of VAT unit prices since surely no residential customer can claim back VAT for energy supply

Hope this helps
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wookie66 wrote: »

Why don't they make it simple by all quoting inclusive of VAT unit prices since surely no residential customer can claim back VAT for energy supply

Hope this helps

Comparison sites all work to the Ofgem Confidence Code for PCWs. PCWs include VAT in all comparisons where standing charge; unit and total cost are shown. Suppliers own websites vary. The only given is that total cost for the same postcode and annual usage in kWhs/year will be the same.

The reason why suppliers do not include VAT is because this is a potential variable. It may well have remained at 5% for years but there is nothing to stop the Government post-Brexit changing the domestic VAT rate. Suppliers' accounting systems are designed to accommodate any future VAT changes with minimal intervention/cost as is the case with all the accounts packages that I have used.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure