Loft insulation and flooring costs

Apologies if this is a lazy post. One of my priorities this year is to have my loft insulated to proper levels so the winter is less of a hardship. From the foorplan, I estimate its about 27m sq. I am guessing it shouldn't take more than a day for an experienced builder, but what would be a reasonable cost?

I'm in two minds about boarding the loft; on the one hand it would make crawling around it a lot easier (no loft ladder yet!) and makes sense to have it done at the same time, on the other hand I'm reluctant to use it as storage space purely because it will be a means of storing stuff that I won't actually look at again for the next 20 years. I'm uncertain whether a loft room will ever be an option should I need an extra habitable space, because the pitch of the roof is so low.

Pros and cons? And reasonable cost?
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    You can get lofts boarded out for a few hundred quid usually, will be loads of local companies that wiooo give you a quote.

You can also just get it part boarded to help resist the temptation of putting half your life up there!
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Better value would be obtained by getting insulation and boarding done together - you pay for one job in effect. Also the job can be done right first time. No point in getting fibreglass put down next month then next year saying rip it and insulate and board the loft.

Roughly 300 mm fibreglass/Rockwool is the minimum but this will only increase in requirements over time. Which means if you want to future proof then do some thinking.

Ponder the concepts of roof ventilation and membranes before you do anything. An upgraded roof insulation will make your roof colder so could cause significant condensation problems. So review your underlay type, review the ventilation and review putting in a membrane.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Furts wrote: »
    Ponder the concepts of roof ventilation and membranes before you do anything. An upgraded roof insulation will make your roof colder so could cause significant condensation problems. So review your underlay type, review the ventilation and review putting in a membrane.
    Its at the point that something that should be relatively simple becomes complicated that I zone out (same has happened with my front door, draughtly in the winter time and sticking in the summer and as yet unchanged!).

I don't want a damp loft space but I do want a warm home. What do you suggest?

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

Surely a new front door would save you the most on heating. But if you are a hoarder and want your loft boarding out, go for it.
    A drop down staircase would be a must?
    Loft Boarding Cost for Post 1975 Homes
    • 10m2 – £907.90
    • 20m2 – £1,407.80
    • 30m2 – £1,907.70
    • 40m2 – £2,407.60
    • 50m2 – £2,907,50
    • 60m2 – £3,407.40
    • 70m2 – £3,907.30
    • 80m2 – £4,407.20
    *All prices include your chosen area of our Raised Loft Floor System, a new enlarged loft opening fitted with a UPVC hinged down loft hatch, a branded 3 section aluminium loft ladder, a single light and switch, and a 10 year guarantee.

https://www.instaloft.co.uk/how-much-loft-boarding-cost/
  • Furts
    Its at the point that something that should be relatively simple becomes complicated that I zone out (same has happened with my front door, draughtly in the winter time and sticking in the summer and as yet unchanged!).

There is no simple few words answer here. Like everything with a house building has evolved, it is technical, it is based on design and Regulations, and that is why one has to seek competent trades. So your response should be questions to put to whoever you are thinking of engaging.

That does not mean I am copping out here but I have not seen your home. So I cannot give you a specific answer. To give my home as an example I upgraded when doing other building works. My inadequate fibreglass came out, a polythene membrane went in, on top of that Celotex - 2 layers sealed together and gaps sealed, an air gap, then 22mm P5 chipboard. I already had 10mm air venting in the soffit (Buildings Regulations) but no ridge venting. So I had 225x225 air bricks built into the gables.

I accept all this may cause a fogging over, but it does all matter. If these things are not considered ( here are other ways) then the end result may cause problems. So bounce all this around with whoever is going to do the job. See what you want, see if things are going to be OK.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 14 May 2018 at 11:55AM

I'm in two minds about boarding the loft; on the one hand it would make crawling around it a lot easier (no loft ladder yet!) and makes sense to have it done at the same time, on the other hand I'm reluctant to use it as storage space purely because it will be a means of storing stuff that I won't actually look at again for the next 20 years.

Do you need extra storage space? Lofts are great for larger items such as suitcases and Christmas decorations which are a pain if you have limited storage. With a decent ladder and proper light they can be easy to use regularly. My loft hatch is in the kitchen and has a drop down ladder. I regularly get ebay packaging out of the loft while cooking and watching the news.
    Unlikely to need a builder for this. There are companies which fit loft hatches and are likely to also board lofts. They should be able to advise what is possible and costs.

Damp and condensation is avoided by having decent ventilation.

These look good. Anyone tried them?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vents-Prevents-Condensation-Attic-Ventilation/dp/B00M97O5YY

One review suggests, " I think it is better to buy foam pipe lagging for 15mm pipes, cut it in half length ways and push it in between the felt." which fits my budget.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Surely a new front door would save you the most on heating.
    Its not the cost that's putting me off, its all the horror stories I have seen on here that led me from being entirely ignorant to being scared of horror stories to plunging my head deeply in the sand. My worst nightmare is having the security of my front door compromised when I absolutely need to leave for work because I end up with something unfit for purpose after a few months use.

• d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We got a loft company to install the hatch. Cost £375.
    I bought a raised floor kit for the loft (5m x 5m). Cost £350.
    Spent around £100 on insulation (base layer and top up).
    Spent around £60 on loft boards. Extra for screws.
    I installed the kit, the insulation and boards over a few weekends.

The only bits left to do is neaten the floor space around the hatch and add some sort of grab rail.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I hope to get my loft joists strengthened and boarded out; with a will to do further work myself.
    Money is an issue, I dont want to waste it. Because it could be another room which hardly gets used, or it could be a valuable asset.
    Moving the boiler and installing a staircase maybe £1,000 each; might never happen, lol
  • Furts
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Surely a new front door would save you the most on heating. But if you are a hoarder and want your loft boarding out, go for it.
    A drop down staircase would be a must?
    Loft Boarding Cost for Post 1975 Homes
    • 10m2 – £907.90
    • 20m2 – £1,407.80
    • 30m2 – £1,907.70
    • 40m2 – £2,407.60
    • 50m2 – £2,907,50
    • 60m2 – £3,407.40
    • 70m2 – £3,907.30
    • 80m2 – £4,407.20
    *All prices include your chosen area of our Raised Loft Floor System, a new enlarged loft opening fitted with a UPVC hinged down loft hatch, a branded 3 section aluminium loft ladder, a single light and switch, and a 10 year guarantee.

https://www.instaloft.co.uk/how-much-loft-boarding-cost/

Here one has to be so careful. It is easy to be sucked into websites offering fixed price dreams, but the reality is this company does not do things properly, does not care about Regulations, does not care about quality and then has the cheek to ram that message back to consumers by posting photos of this. Anyone with any sense of how to build looks at everything in the photos and either says stop, what happens next, or simply despairs. This is all about dumbing down standards and then selling this dodginess to unsuspecting consumers.

I offered sound technical advice to OP, and gave the proviso that there are other ways. Every house is different. So I gave an example of my home. My home has been done properly and no way would I have lowered my standards to allow the bodging visible in these photos.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure