MSE News: BBC launches huge scientific test into money management

Comments

• nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    I've been signed up with them for quite a while and never received anything from them that I didn't ask for.

I'm worried too that this sample isn't representative of the population, and the "actual" overall average score may be even less than it shows.

Your Spender rating is 0 out of 6

Gee, I knew I was miserly, but not THAT bad!! Martin Lewis, what have you done to me!!! :D It's your site wot did that!!!
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • spheric
    spheric Posts: 110 Forumite
    I scored well, but I was just too lazy to get the calculator out to work out the APR question.... I guestimated, and got it wrong.

I'm very impressed with the idea of categorising respondants and cutting up video clips to give "personalised" advice... - The techies must have been feeling rather proud of themselves for coming up with that :)
  • ElmerFudd
    ElmerFudd Posts: 444 Forumite
    The test is a bit buggy. I actually got 8 out of 10, but it claimed I only got 7 correct...still average I suppose. :(. Also supposedly I am a miser...but I knew that already!!!
    Debt at worst: £33000 (Feb 2011). Present debt: £25610 (Apr 2012)
    Lloyds old (22.4%) = 560 (Dec 2012)
  • Hi guys,

On page 5/9 (the one with the bank statement), the second question is:

"Still looking at the same bank statement, if a direct debit of £179 comes in on 28 February and there is an agreed overdraft limit of £100 on the account, would there be enough money, including the overdraft limit, to cover the direct debit?"

Should that not be "if a direct debit of £179 comes OUT on 28 February"

The account is already in credit so why would a DD coming in make a difference to the overdraft?
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ElmerFudd wrote: »
    The test is a bit buggy. I actually got 8 out of 10, but it claimed I only got 7 correct...
    Same here, it said I got 7/10, but when the answers came up I had gotten 8/10 correct
    poppy10
  • nzseries1
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Same here, it said I got 7/10, but when the answers came up I had gotten 8/10 correct

Oh yes, I've heard THAT one before! A likely story!!! :D
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    When did the answers come up? I must admit I didn't watch all the Videos.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Me too! I did it last night while Watchdog was on air; got 8 correct (when I later viewed the answers) but it only scored me at 7.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The answers are available by clicking on the text "Your money knowledge" at the upper right of the your results page.
  • nzseries1
    cepheus wrote: »
    When did the answers come up? I must admit I didn't watch all the Videos.

I wanted to watch the videos, but I got "Not available in your area". Not sure what they've got against East London, but there you have it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure