Cancelling Virgin, retention team member tried bullying tactics to stay...??

Hi all, just wondered if anyone else has had any issues cancelling Virgin Media broadband?

So I really just wanna know anybody else's experience of Virgin Media customer service because I'm sure I just had an odd one who was having a bad day.... I hope at least!

You can read below for a bit more detail if you're interested because I just couldn't believe the service I received. I've cancelled recently but only after talking to 4 different people and on hold ... a lot....

So first three guys were amazing, they were just trying to help see if I could have a better deal and eventually I got transferred to the retention team.

The person I spoke to in this team... not so nice. She was immediately on the defensive of why I should stay, that we use loads of data and would suffer if we left. So I was a bit shocked, she was quite harsh with her delivery of it as well. So I said I understand but you know I've ended up paying £90 per month over the various price rises and my contract ending. We don't need that much really, it's only us two. I'd rather try a downgrade or another provider and if it really sucks then that's on me and I'll dutifully sign back up to Virgin Media. To which her reply was you'll only suffer, there's no point switching, you'll end up being miserable because your service is rubbish because it will be, you'll be locked in to another 12-18 month contract with no opportunity to upgrade.

So at this point.... I was kinda resistant to accepting any deal or staying with Virgin full stop because of her attitude and how rudely she was speaking to me, constantly interrupting me and not actually listening to what I was saying.

Then to top it off when I said for a final time, please can I submit my 30 days notice and cancel she interrupted again saying I'M DOING IT in a very childish manner :eek: and had the cheek to say to me not to interrupt her....

So one very awkward 10 minute phone call back and forth and having to justify how I spend MY money.... it's kinda put me off Virgin Media if I'm honest. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm sure i just caught her on a bad day but pheww.... did not expect to get bullied in to staying with VM today. :(
Bought First Home - June 2018 Starting £218,500 June 2020 £203,800.95 :T MFW 2020 #78 - Target £3000 - So far... £2182/£3000
Ultimate Goal MFW by 40! - 2033

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well they put you through the ringer with 4 people using different tactics to keep you on.

Fortunately for you, you are leaving and don't have to worry about the quality of VM customer service anymore.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Op who do you intend to move to /will you get all the services vm provide on your current contract .
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2019 at 7:48PM
    When I left VM ( I had no landline or TV, just broadband ) , the representative tried to persuade me to stay, but wasn’t unduly pushy, he did asking if was the price VM were charging that was making me leave, and I got the impression that when he asked what price I had been offered by the FTTC ISP I was going to use , he would have tried to match it, but when I said ‘it’s free to me, as my employer pays for it’ , they obviously couldn’t match that.
    ....after I left I got a ‘standard’ email , saying they appreciate that customers have a choice, and although sad to see me leave they hope I would consider using them again in the future.
    I may have received a survey , asking ‘how we did’ , if you get one, you could tell them how rude they were and how they treated you means they are unlikely to ever tempt you back.
    If I get a pushy rep, then I would become curt, but not abusive, and just say , although you accept that it’s their job to try and dissuade you from leaving, for them to just do as you request without all the necessary delay
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    the worse bit is if they offer you a deal to stay.

The contract can be very different to what you thought it was, so check the contract online within 14 days and ring up again if wrong
  • Thanks for the replies, I think I just needed to vent.

I'm just having a look around at the mo but my brother uses TalkTalk for similar usage and hasn't had an issue and looking on here.

I get that me being one customer leaving doesn't make a difference to them but it was quite frustrating to be treated that way by another human anyway, let alone by customer service. I worry for the individuals that will get pressured into it and then get stuck in contracts like AndyPK said. I started out on £35 and at the end, 30 odd months later was on £90 with the only difference in service being 300mb to 350 mb over time, tv and phone remained the same.
    Bought First Home - June 2018 Starting £218,500 June 2020 £203,800.95 :T MFW 2020 #78 - Target £3000 - So far... £2182/£3000
    Ultimate Goal MFW by 40! - 2033
  • If you are considering TalkTalk, do some research before committing. I was with them for years and finally got fed up with their dreadful customer service and signed up with Plusnet. TalkTalk are trying their upmost to make my migration as difficult as possible by screwing up their end of the migration and by continuing to bill me for services that I stopped receiving a couple of months ago. My case might be an isolated one, but a simple google suggests that it is not.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    I think NowTV BB is the best blend of price, customer service and technical ability.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Fingers crossed you get an opportunity to give feedback & can rip into them.
    Customer retentions are supposed to be nice, or at least reasonable, & they should also be subject to quality control eavesdropping...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure