Bitcoin Beginner - Am I doing it Correctly?

Comments

• ColdIron wrote: »
    I'd want to know exactly how to get my money out before tackling the hurdles of getting it in :)

if you are in the UK you have lots of barriers because no banks will deal with Coinbase (largest bitcoin company in the world)
  • Alexland wrote: »
    Sorry despite interesting maths theory I struggle to understand how they are worth more than magic beans.

Just because you are unable to grasp the underlying technicalities of cryptographic currencies it doesn't make them worthless. Maybe you should stick with your 1% ISAs
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for your offensive feedback and I agree 1pc ISAs are on the opposite side of the potential reward spectrum - a near guarenteed loss to inflation.

Even if the world does move to crypto currencies Bitcoin is unlikely to be the winner on the quest for credibility.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    karljt2013 wrote: »
    Sorry but waiting until Bitcoins are $3000 dollars each before investing is not doing it correctly.

Bitcoin has just split into two due to a fierce community civil war over how to scale up bitcoins (only 7 transactions per second can be processed on the blockchain)

So as of August 1st there is "bitcoin" and "Bitcoin Cash". There is also future stumbling blocks in November which could end badly Hardly a rock solid investment when there are other cryptographic currencies to invest in like Ethereum.

What makes Ethereum better?
  • angela2011
    angela2011 Posts: 471 Forumite
    I'm want to buy ethereum but dont know how to do it. any suggestions or pointers would be great...
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 8,910
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Have you read posts #1 to #25 especially #2?
  • bassking
    bassking Posts: 12
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There are now numerous crypto-currencies and will quite probably become part of the financial system to replace the non-backed paper currency that the whole world uses at present. There's a lot of research to do and i'll just throw something else into the mix... gold backed cryptocurrency. This is a relatively new idea that a few companies have set up whereby each bitcoin is backed by physical gold. There's even an article on Bloomberg today about gold backed crypto's (sorry, i'm not allowed to post links!)

I've been researching a company based in the UAE called 'one gram'
    Good luck with your adventure.
    Save 12K in 2018 #73
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,554
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 August 2017 at 3:55PM
    Everytime I see a post discussing the pros and cons of speculating in a crypto-currency, my mind wanders to the Tulip mania of the 17th century.

There seem to be so many parallels, even with a nearly four hundred year gap between now and then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/culture/story/20160419-tulip-mania-the-flowers-that-cost-more-than-houses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    karljt2013 wrote: »
    if you are in the UK you have lots of barriers because no banks will deal with Coinbase (largest bitcoin company in the world)

that's not true, work colleague has no issues
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,532
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    "investing" in something that is meant to be a currency to me indicates that it is nothing of the sort. A currency is of no use if the value isn't stable as many countries have found in the past.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure