Kitchen fitter not accepting liability for burst pipe

Got a new kitchen installed 11 months ago. On Friday we found it flooded because the hot water pipe under the sink burst at one joint.

Kitchen fitter isn’t accepting liability. He can’t say what happened exactly but isn’t accepting blame.

Our plumber took one look at the photos and said that the kitchen fitter didn’t tighten the compression valve tight enough and it took 11 months to work itself free and popped off. He said those compression valves don’t casually fail.

Do we go to small claims?

How do we work with the kitchen company after because surely they’ll be annoyed at us?

Our insurance company is coming out Wednesday to assess damage. We figured we should get the ball rolling there just in case.

Comments

• gazzak_2
    gazzak_2 Posts: 473
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What's damaged?
  • Potentially the entire kitchen is ruined because the hot water pipe had burst so the boiler was on for hours. It happened overnight. The granite worktop was soaked from underneath due to moisture. It was raining inside the cupboards.

Kitchen lino ruined.
    Water got under backroom laminate.
    Cupboards dripping from inside.
    Kickboards all soaked.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Why did you let a kitchen fitter do the plumbing?

Mine hired a plumber for that bit.

And while there is nothing wrong with compression done right (I have done it myself at time) it does slighrtly scream unprofessional and is very prone to under, or more often over, tightening. To be honest plastic push fit is a much better option for the unsure these days! It either leaks straight away or is fine.

Since he is refusing liability you will have to go to your insurer and tell them what the plumber said and leave it up to them to claim off him.

I hope the fitter was cheap! Remember to pass the word round especially if he was recomended.
  • Carrot007 wrote: »

Cos I have no experience with getting a kitchen installed and didn’t know better.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    ..Our insurance company is coming out Wednesday to assess damage. We figured we should get the ball rolling there just in case.
    My advice is to leave it to the insurance company to sort out.

Don't give them a reason or excuse to refuse your claim by introducing the idea of poor workmanship.

It is up to them to establish the cause of the flood and to pursue the kitchen fitter if that is appropriate but frankly I think all they will do is establish that the damage has actually taken place and, if it is covered by your policy, give you the go ahead to get quotes for repair work.

Good luck. It must be horrible to see your still new kitchen destroyed like that.
  • How did things work out with your insurer in the end?

Did they try and claim off the fitter?

We have a similar problem that the dishwasher has leaked, insurance have come in to rip up damaged flooring and dry the place but are asking questions on who fitted the kitchen and dishwasher.
    It was my husbands family and boss, so I am worrying now that they are going to try and divert the blame.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,808
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 7 June 2019 at 8:00AM
    Surly dishwashers and washing machines are mostly self installed, So what would it really matter who installed it, unless its actually the pipe work and a plumber would be liable if the was one and his insurance, Don't any insurance co just pay out anymore?

I wouldn't find it odd for a kitchen company to have in house plumber and spark.
  • Similar thing happened to us in January.
    A compression fitting opened up on the mains inlet so it was pouring water out for hours.

Yes I have my suspicions of why it happened, but it can't be proven.

Luckily I had full cover under my insurance and they took care of it. Took a long time though and still not quite finished.
  • I can help you in this matter I f you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure