PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house in Millbrook, Southampton

124»

Comments

• spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    bibek wrote: »
    Closest station to my work is Redbridge which is 15 mins walk, so taking into account the train journey, itd probably take same duration as driving from Eastleigh to my work id think. I am open to looking around Chandlers Ford but prices seem a bit steep. Eastleigh generally has also been listed as an area to avoid on couple of forums I have visited so had kind of ruled it out.

It's not called Beastly-Eastleigh for nothing. Parts of Chandlers Ford are ok going towards Romsey.

I lived in Winchester for 20 years before moving here. I have a friend who lives in Regents Park. It's nice there and very quiet.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • bibek
    bibek Posts: 47 Forumite
    Thank you all for your replies. Took the weekend off so only reading them now.

@stevenhp1987 - Thanks for the link. That is quite handy indeed. Hopefully the data they use comes from a trustworthy source :P
    @Blondetotty - I do tend to be at work around 7am so im hoping traffic wont be too much of an issue commuting into Southampton. I tend to leave between 3:30-4 so maybe some on my way back but hopefully should be ok ?
    @spirit - Haha, beastly Eastleigh is what I read! I am on the fence regarding Chandlers Ford/Eastleigh due to bad reputation for Eastleigh/ Prices for Chandlers Ford properties. Keeping my eye on Chandlers Ford for now if anything I like/can afford comes up but not actively looking in this area.

Another slight annoyance for me is that most of the properties around Southampton seems to have inflated prices. Zoopla values the properties significantly less than what theyre on the market for even though has over 99% confidence for the estimate. Not sure if vendors are trying their luck marketing their house for same price they were going over 6 months ago? or is Zoopla bonkers ?
  • eidand
    eidand Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    bibek wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies. Took the weekend off so only reading them now.

@stevenhp1987 - Thanks for the link. That is quite handy indeed. Hopefully the data they use comes from a trustworthy source :P
    @Blondetotty - I do tend to be at work around 7am so im hoping traffic wont be too much of an issue commuting into Southampton. I tend to leave between 3:30-4 so maybe some on my way back but hopefully should be ok ?
    @spirit - Haha, beastly Eastleigh is what I read! I am on the fence regarding Chandlers Ford/Eastleigh due to bad reputation for Eastleigh/ Prices for Chandlers Ford properties. Keeping my eye on Chandlers Ford for now if anything I like/can afford comes up but not actively looking in this area.

Another slight annoyance for me is that most of the properties around Southampton seems to have inflated prices. Zoopla values the properties significantly less than what theyre on the market for even though has over 99% confidence for the estimate. Not sure if vendors are trying their luck marketing their house for same price they were going over 6 months ago? or is Zoopla bonkers ?

I would not rely on zoopla for evaluations ....
  • bibek
    eidand wrote: »
    I would not rely on zoopla for evaluations ....

I do mainly look at sold house prices but not all areas will have a sold price within the last 6 months to compare with. Just a tiny bit of concern how it seems to value houses in almost all areas in Southampton lower than what the vendors and EA are valuing their property for.
  • babymama89
    babymama89 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Have you found a place yet or decided on a good area

I’ve lived in Southampton for 7 years now and currently work at SGH so have a rough idea on the city ... here are my thoughts -
    Woolston - generally a good area . I moved here 4 years ago ... it’s seen a lot of renovation albeit overpriced flats overlooking the water. The high street is increasingly empty on the plus side there is the library and Lidl for shopping . For traffic if you get out early before 730 u can beat the long traffic anytime after that a snail would reach work quicker than you . My husband works in otterbourne and doesn’t do too bad . However closing time can be a pain regardless of when you leave . Itchen bridge traffic starts to build at 40”pm. If you have a family the schools are not to bad there is a CoE primary school with good fisted ratings and getting into town by public transport is fairly quick with reasonable options . Ditto for Weston

Sholing / Bitterne Park / Bitterne - good areas with good public transport . Houses can be unite expensive

Shirley / Millbrook/ st Mary’s - avoid - dump areas
    Totton - if you can avoid
    Eastleigh - depends on the area but has good transport link and airport
    Swathling / high field - student areas ... expect occasional party animals - parking can be a pain

Hedge end / chandlers ford - expensive but good quiet areas with good schools

Lodge road /Avenue - reasonably priced houses may not be suitable for families . High number of students . Good access to city centre
    Regent’s Park / upper Shirley - good access to city centre nice areas
    Lords wood - some areas are nice . Should be at the bottom of your list -

Hamble / itchen - could be a stretch from city centre but quiet neighbourhood

Bursledon - morning traffic / rush hour can be horrendous like itchen . Good transport link nice houses ; quick getaway to M27
  • bibek
    babymama89 wrote: »
    Have you found a place yet or decided on a good area

Thank you for a detailed response. I'm currently looking at Upper Shirley/Regents Park/Bassett (unlikely due to high prices) and over the bridge my first choice is Bitterne Park then Itchen/Midanbury/Sholing.
    Glad to hear from someone who lives in Woolston as I hadn't really given much thought due to it not having as good reputation compared other parts on the other side of the bridge.
    Would not mind buying around Hedge End/Chandlers Ford however they're also further down the list as I dont have any kids and it would be a much longer commute compared to other areas mentioned above (i think..)
    Have a couple of viewings on the other side of the river this week (Millais Road, Itchen is one of them) and thankfully, lots of reduction on houses that were already up for sale with an inflated price tag so expect a buy few weeks ahead and hopefully will find something the wife fancies :rotfl: and will go for that!
  • eidand
    eidand Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hedge End looks like a lovely area. I am also considering it for my next move. There seem to be a lot of nice 4 bed houses for around 340k which have been sitting there for a while ...
  • bibek
    Quick update: Had our offer accepted for a property in Sholing (SO19) . Bit pricier than what I was after but its an excellent condition property and exactly what we were after.
    Now the waiting game as there is a chain. Vendors have found their property but sellers of that property are after a no chain property so hoping everything goes smoothly!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure