Refused critical illness cover due to misdiagnosis? What can I do?

Hi,
Back in Oct 2012 I had a 2 short spells when my vision was blurred when I woke up for up to 30 min at a time. I was sent to Opthomologist. He could not find anything. Sent me for ECG which came back fine too. That was end of the story. I was under impression that everything is fine because no further tests were conducted. Since then I never had a problem with blurred vision again. I applied for CIC few months ago. Reported all the problems, they contacted GP for further details and on the report it says "Provisional diagnosis: Amaurosis fugax". I was never told about this provisional diagnosis. Reading about it this is something which can lead to blindness, stroke etc. But also should be treated! With me they have done a ECG which came back fine and I am guessing they concluded that it is not that, nor nothing serious and did not do any further action.

Now the question is what can I do about it? Because if I really have it I should be treated for that. If I don't which seems to be correct can I request it to be corrected by the GP or Opthomologist. I feel I am the one who loose out now because Opthomologist was playing a guessing game.

Another option is to wait few months until 5 years passes and then most insureres won't ask for anything which was over 5 years ago.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Shouldn't your focus be on your health? I would be at the gp about treatment
  • eldaniel
    eldaniel Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rs65 wrote: »
    Shouldn't your focus be on your health? I would be at the gp about treatment

It has been 4.5 years ago and there was no further symptoms. GP was the one deciding that I don't need any further treatment in the first place. There could be thousands reasons for blurred vision i.e. basic one as allergy. If I follow your logic I will go there asking for treatment and I will be excluded from CIC for another 5 years despite having no symptoms? Just because I reported something to GP. Especially that my wife suffers with MS and that's why I need to have CIC as a backup plan.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Make an appointment and discuss this with the doctor

Then take it from there if he has misled the insurer, or get treated if you need it and have slipped through the net
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure