Heterosexual Couple Win Court Case for Civil Partnership. I don't understand it.

12345679»

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Loz01 wrote: »
    Then they wouldn't have been on TV, in the newspaper, shouting to the world! It's about look at me me me. Any normal, sane person would've paid 50 quid and got married in front of 2 random witnesses at the registry office but these two bores had to make into a huge deal.

It matters to them, and they aren't impacting your life in the slightest. Just turn off the telly.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It matters to them, and they aren't impacting your life in the slightest. Just turn off the telly.

Any changes to society, its formalities and customs affect us all because we're all part of society. It's like arguing that bringing back capital punishment wouldn't affect you because you aren't going to murder anyone.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

If it mattered to them to get married, they would've done it. If they didnt want to be married..... dont do it. Just co habit whatever its called. Get a will made so you can cover issues that unmarried couples might face if something happened to one of them.

If they really feel that strongly they want a CP (a !!!!!! less than version of marriage that same sex couples were fobbed off with for years by a weak government) then they didnt have to take their "plight" to national TV and cheer outside a courtroom as if you've marked a day in history.
  • Senseicads
    Senseicads Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Loz01 wrote: »
    If it mattered to them to get married, they would've done it. If they didnt want to be married..... dont do it. Just co habit whatever its called. Get a will made so you can cover issues that unmarried couples might face if something happened to one of them.

If they really feel that strongly they want a CP (a !!!!!! less than version of marriage that same sex couples were fobbed off with for years by a weak government) then they didnt have to take their "plight" to national TV and cheer outside a courtroom as if you've marked a day in history.

Except that being married allows you to make decisions on hospital care and other such things. A will helps with none of that. Additionally tax implications on things such as inheritance require you to be married or in a CP. it probably effects all kinds of things that I don't have the slightest inclination to research. It's enough for me to know that the law as it stood wasn't equal...ie not fair. The law should be fair and just.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 July 2018 at 3:43PM
    I think the problem was that when the government introduced same sex marriage, they left an inequality in the law by not removing civil partnerships. This government's defence in this case was very weak, I'm surprised they even bothered turning up. Yet another botched job that has cost the taxpayer millions!
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    Senseicads wrote: »
    Except that being married allows you to make decisions on hospital care and other such things.
    Doctors make decisions on medical care, not spouses.

You can nominate anyone to be the person the doctors talk to, the so-called "next of kin" (a title with no legal status) and you do not have to be related to them or married to them. NHS trusts have just about arrived in the 1970s as far as their outlook on relationships goes and they do, finally, accept that people have enduring romantic relationships which do not involve marriage. You can even tell your doctor to put it on your medical records and / or carry a "next of kin" card which explicitly states this.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Senseicads
    Senseicads Posts: 204 Forumite
    Doctors make decisions on medical care, not spouses.

You can nominate anyone to be the person the doctors talk to, the so-called "next of kin" (a title with no legal status) and you do not have to be related to them or married to them. NHS trusts have just about arrived in the 1970s as far as their outlook on relationships goes and they do, finally, accept that people have enduring romantic relationships which do not involve marriage. You can even tell your doctor to put it on your medical records and / or carry a "next of kin" card which explicitly states this.

Fair enough. Pretty sure the tax reasons still hold up though. Like I said there’s prob more but too much effort to research it. This is the fault of our government for leaving such an inequality within the law.
  • burnoutbabe
    burnoutbabe Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This whole thing seems daft and will probably be resolved by just doing away with new CP's and just let existing ones carry on.

CP is NOT like they have on the continent where couples who live together register it formally for some benefits. CP in the UK is marriage (but without adultery rules).

and them saying "oh, its better for all those people who don't want to get married and will protect the children" - well really, its going to be half a dozen middle class professional couples who do this. The people who need financial protection (stay at home women with kids etc) are going to find their partners are just as reluctant to civil partner then as marry them.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    CP is NOT like they have on the continent where couples who live together register it formally for some benefits. CP in the UK is marriage (but without adultery rules).
    In the Netherlands, they are close to identical, the difference is that a partnership can be ended without needing to involved the court if there are no minor children, and partnerships do not require a declaration of vows during the ceremony wheras marriages do. So functionaly they are identical and approximately 20% of couples opt for partnerships rather than marriage.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    In the Netherlands, they are close to identical, the difference is that a partnership can be ended without needing to involved the court if there are no minor children, and partnerships do not require a declaration of vows during the ceremony wheras marriages do. So functionaly they are identical and approximately 20% of couples opt for partnerships rather than marriage.

In France, one of the ways you can dissolve a PACS is simply to marry someone else! Most young French couples seem to be using them as a half way house to marriage, rather like an old fashioned formal engagement and older people because otherwise your partner has to pay 60% tax on anything they inherit from the you.

Most countries who have them tend to have them for a reason, the UK doesn't have that need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure