debit/ credit/prepaid cards for atm use in Greece

Hello
i am going to Greece for a couple of weeks in September.
I will be moving around and staying at different hotels.
Sadly all the accommodation i will be staying at want cash.
So i will need to make a number of large atm withdrawals.

The last time i used my debit and credit card abroad i was stung with a lot of charges for using the card in this way.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

The card i am thinking of getting is WeSwap as i can load it with currency before i go and use it whilst out there like a card. It has no inactivity fees and i can make as many cash withdrawals as i want and is free if i make large ones.

Has anyone used this card before or know of a better one.
It will be for mainly used for pulling cash out of an atm.

thank you for your help
kind regards
dan

Comments

• Do not go looking for good deals at Greek Duty Free shops in airports or seaports - it's cheaper to buy the products in the local shops.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I mostly use cash abroad when staying for short periods in unknown/new accommodation or in restaurants as I'm paranoid. I save my Halifax Clarity Credit card for hotels or other places I know and trust (just cos I'm paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get me!)

If you've followed e-dicky's link above you'll know by now that you get a good rate on currency purchased prior by using this website's own tool
    https://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com

and that best and worst Debit or pre-load cards can be a tenner or more adrift on a typical 250 Euro withdrawal; as I discoverd this March when we tried a Nationwide and a Natwest debit card on two 250 euro withdrawals moments aprt at an ATM; Natwest was a tenner dearer! (although I recall they may have boasted about a recent better rate or lower fee?)

AND most of all, always pressing "no" when the AT machine invites you to pay in Euros or convert at their exchange rate. This seems counter-intuitive as we are programmed to say "yes" to weasel-worded Qs, but your home bank will always convert a a better rate.

Happy travels
  • HAYDAN2002
    HAYDAN2002 Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    thank you so much for all your replies.
    the thing is i dont want to walk round with too much cash.
    I am going to get a WESWAP card and load it up with currency as i think it will save me bank card fees.

thank you
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    HAYDAN2002 wrote: »
    thank you so much for all your replies.
    the thing is i dont want to walk round with too much cash.
    I am going to get a WESWAP card and load it up with currency as i think it will save me bank card fees.

thank you

But could lumber you with fees of its own.

Open an account with the Starling Bank instead. It only takes a few minutes.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    But could lumber you with fees of its own.

Open an account with the Starling Bank instead. It only takes a few minutes.

If they use the MSE link to Weswap and utilise the card optimally, it could work out better value, as you get an up to 5% bonus on topping up £500 or more.
    Then as long as they withdraw 200 euros or more each time, there won't be an ATM fee.
    So utilised optimally, it could be their best option.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 July 2018 at 3:31PM
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    If they use the MSE link to Weswap and utilise the card optimally, it could work out better value, as you get an up to 5% bonus on topping up £500 or more.
    Then as long as they withdraw 200 euros or more each time, there won't be an ATM fee.
    So utilised optimally, it could be their best option.

A 5% bonus is pretty good. What exchange rate do they use?

Edit: Answered my own question.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    AlexMac wrote: »
    I mostly use cash abroad when staying for short periods in unknown/new accommodation or in restaurants as I'm paranoid. I save my Halifax Clarity Credit card for hotels or other places I know and trust (just cos I'm paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get me!)

I certainly use cash a lot in Greece. Although card acceptance in Greece is high these days, Greek people often appreciate cash payment and you may get a discount for paying cash.

Watch out for the "Euronet" ATMs which add a €2.95 charge.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • HAYDAN2002
    HAYDAN2002 Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    thank you once again for your help
    yes will be pulling out over 200 euros every time i use an ATM to avoid the fees.
    its just a shame the accommodation places (small hotels) only want cash as it is a lot easier and safer to just transfer the money but i guess they are avoiding tax etc
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    HAYDAN2002 wrote: »
    yes will be pulling out over 200 euros every time i use an ATM to avoid the fees.

Better option is just to use an ATM that doesn't charge fees. Most of them don't, in fact I think Euronet were the only ones I saw that did charge (although there were lots of Euronet ones around).
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills