Wishing on an ickle star

Options

Comments

• icklehelen
    icklehelen Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've just updated my signature, MFW2013 and MFiT-T3 with lower targets :(

Having spent an obscene amount of time over the past few weeks stressing over ££ I have taken action. I've looked at the spreadsheets, our outgoings, income etc etc . . It was looking like my MF quest would have to end but I'm too stubborn to do that so I've made my targets more possible (although still a challenge :D). This way I can manage our new life in the shop AND still look forward to the day I cancel the mortgage payments (granted this is going to be a long way in the future!)

So instead of MF by 40 it may be MF by 45 but still better than MF by 51 as it would have been! I also feel if I keep my toe in the MSE pond I will still have the support to keep up the frugal lifestyle (that some family and friends find hilarious!) AND if things start improving I can throw more at the mortgage again!! Every cloud . . . . :rotfl:

Moving on -
    • Had my little sister stay for a few days which was lovely and not as expensive as expected (£5 on lunch for us one day)
    • Weekly food shop was just under £40 but this included extra food for a birthday tea we'll be having on Tuesday (DD will be 2 :eek:)
    • Bought DDs presents using S&S @mazon evouchers saving £45!
    • Relisted items on eB@y yesterday of which one had a bid on within a few hours!
    • Have found another p/t job to apply for which will enable me to put DD into nursery (she NEEDS the interaction with other kids without me there!) and have a little more for us at the end of the month!

Can't believe August begins next week so plans for this week include end of month sort for both shop and personal accounts. Most importantly though is to spend Tuesday with DD and give her a fab birthday! (Monday afternoon is reserved for baking her cake)

ickle
    Total OPs 2012 - 2019 £39744.75
    Target 2020 £18500/£18500
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Options
    Gosh it's been a while since I was on here! Although I do feel better for it - feeling guilty for not being able to make OPs was getting me down!

My regular saver matured last week with the full £3000 in it. Decided that the £3000 should go into our 123 account (where it will get the most interest) but will also be available for us to live on until the shop starts making us some money! The £77 and a few pennies is going to be OPd. All these plans are great but there is a problem - the Secure Key thing-a-me-bob is missing - DH seems to remember the last time he saw it . . . in DDs hands :eek: :rotfl: Think I may need to request a new one!

Thinking about setting up another regular saver and putting in the CTC I am now getting. I'm worried that we'll have to pay them back so they're going into savings of some description! This way we'll either have a bit of interest to play with or savings and the interest!

Sounds like nap time is over . . .

ickle
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Options
    Lots to update on! So for anyone who is actually reading this I will warn you now

LONG POST ALERT

General money stuff:
    I ordered a new secure key as the old one has disappeared!! Found that the bank had kindly opened a savings account for me to put the matured savings into. Although I'd already decided on how to deal with this money (see previous post) thought I'd check in case the interest rate was better on this new account. :rotfl: Shouldn't have wasted my time looking - 0.04% :eek: So it's now sat in my 123 at 3% instead :T

Pcone surveys have offered PP payouts rather than vouchers so I snapped that up quickly and have had my first payout into my account - think I might leave this here to build up and I can use it as a back up for the few Christmas pressies I have left to sort.

New 0% cc applied for as old one is about £100 from its max! The money to pay this off is sat earning interest so will pay it off in full when the 0% ends.

New regular saver has been opened. Not expecting to put the full amount in but every little helps!

Yesterday:
    Had a lovely morning walking with DH and DD. We went prepared and came back with 2kg of blackberries. Has a quick check with Mr T to see what that would be to buy - £26!!:eek: So have set some aside for an apple and blackberry crumble this evening and the rest have been frozen to use through the winter!

Today:
    SIL took me shopping for my birthday present this morning. We do not have the same opinion when it comes to money and sometimes I feel very guilty when she wants to spend money on me. Today is one of those days!! :o:(
    A new lingerie store has opened in our shopping centre and she knew I needed new underwear so in we went! This is the type of shop I would normally browse, dream in and follow her around while she spends. So I felt rather out of my depth when she kept saying you need this and what about these?!
    Don't get me wrong I'm so grateful for what she has bought me and WOW I love it all but I can't help imagining what I could have got for half that in a different shop!!

I did 'buy' myself a jumper ready for the cold winters nights using a gift card from my birthday and used my B@@ts advantage points on some contact lens solution.

I sometimes wonder if her live for today attitude would make me happier - but I always end up with the same answer! Bargains make me happy and my competitive side loves seeing what I can stretch to on a tight budget! :D

She would find this site most baffling!!

If you've made it all the way to this - thanks and sorry it's a long one!

ickle
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Options
    Done DH's Tax return today . . . thanks to our changes in circumstances it meant a rebate!!! £270 - not masses but I'm certainly not complaining!!!

In spite of this I am still convinced HMRC's website is built to ensure you make a mistake with your taxes, trying to sort out both of our details and that of the business is proving a little complicated!!
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen wrote: »
    Bargains make me happy and my competitive side loves seeing what I can stretch to on a tight budget! :D

Me too! I get such a kick out of a really good deal on eBay, especially if it's local and I can pick it up and I don't have to pay postage!
    Mini Challenge - Halve 2nd Mortgage by Year End
    Starting: £10,000 Currently £8,142.62
    £3,142.62 to go!
  • icklehelen
    Options
    Thanks SSS! I suppose that's why I feel so 'at home' on these boards!! Would be nice if some of our friends were more like minded!!
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    Well done on the rebate- every little helps as they say!

I know what you mean about in real life people having very different attitudes to spending, we are normally the same. However, we were out last weekend with BIL/SIL and nephews and got onto the overpayment thing and they were genuinely interested and have now got blank copies of my spreadsheets- interesting to see whether they follow through.
    Jan 2013-£140,231.65
    Jan 2014-£120,081.94
  • icklehelen
    Options
    Thanks fothers! It will come in handy ....when it lands in the account.

No major money news - I've got the usual beginning of the month shuffle of interest, £1k bounce around Ll0yds and h@lifax accounts, and general check up to do.

Doing a 'stock check' of the kitchen cupboards, fridge and freezer before the weekly shop tomorrow. I have the £5 of a £40 spend in @ldi and plan to use it to restock.

Spent some time over the weekend looking at my budgets and planning my spends til the end of the year. Looks like we're on target so I'm rather happy! Also went through the present box and have made a list of the few presents left to get (one birthday present and 3 Christmas presents other than those for DH, DD and my parents). Planning on getting these all wrapped by the end of September and cards written too. I like to be organised but this is so much more than normal! I NEED to get it sorted though. Our shop will (hopefully) be very busy in the run up to Christmas so the more we can concentrate on that the better!
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Options
    Starting to think I need some new goals. Everything I set myself this year has got a bit awry (another way of saying EPIC FAIL!)

Actually that is probably a bit harsh. We did buy our shop and are now striving to the life we have dreamed of (still many years away but at least DHs work life balance is better!)

So am going to spend this afternoon with my spreadsheets :smileyhea and work out some manageable goals before the end of the year. New budgets are definitely needed!

ickle
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Options
    Wow it's been a while!

Feel like I've fallen off the wagon ….. not because I've spent a fortune but because I've ignored this site, my diary, reading others and updating my challenges!

To be fair to myself I have still scrimped and lived a very frugal existence but haven't had the time to do anything for me (and certainly not spend the hours I used to reading diaries and budgeting etc)

So I'll start with a belated update of 2013:
    Managed to OP £2799.40 – just shy of my amended £3000 target :o
    Saved a further £750 into my savings account :D
    Bought our own shop (DH does the day to day running) :beer:
    Learnt a lot about HMRC, PAYE, VAT and lots of other requirements for the shop :cool:
    My job went up from 2 days to 4 days per week :eek:
    Put DD in nursery 4 mornings per week :o
    Swapped my car for something more practical (size wise and slightly less costly) :cool:
    Underspent on annual food budget of £2000 by £30 :D
    Underspent on annual clothes/ents budget of £3000 by £80 :T
    Kept gas and electricity usage to a minimum :cool:

Now for my plans for 2014:
    OP as much as possible!
    Save £500 (rainy day fund)
    Stick to my budgets
    Learn to say NO – I keep taking more things on (especially in the village I live in)
    Have some 'me' time
    Get house into order
    Sort out my clothes (still procrastinating about Project 333)
    Plan some date nights with DH

Recently:
    Found an extra £100 to OP in February! Smilies all round as it also meant the actual mortgage now begins with a 6 instead of a 7!!! :j Have updated the MFiT-T3 with our mortgage - offset savings total.

For Lent I have decided to take up rather than give up something. I'm trying to have 30 mins of 'me' time a day. This can be anything I want to do that day so some days may be more simple (cup of tea and a book) than others! Yesterday I downloaded a free yoga app and gave it a go (it made me realise I'm VERY unfit!!) Today is finishing this diary entry and uploading it as I started it in January!

DD has croup so this weekend is likely to be a no spend as she's happiest snuggled on the sofa with kids tv. :(

Think I'll leave it there for today!! Hopefully I won't leave it so long to update next time! :o

ickle
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business