Please sort out the "smart punctuation" problems

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hello Andrea,

Here is an exmple, freshly posted by one of your colleagues.

If it's happening for you within MSE towers surely you accept this is an issue you need to sort out:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5846122
    Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's ?33! Been bad the last few days, every post I've written has been affected
  • Hi folks

I'm sorry I've taken a while to come back to this.

I definitely want the issue rectified and have been chasing it behind the scenes but it's not necessarily a quick fix, if we can.

It started after a change we made resulted in this problem occurring on certain Apple devices.

Many of you have sorted it using the guidance in that article (see our original thread) but that doesn't appear to be working for all of you.

Unfortunately our tech team has a large workload covering all of MSE, not just the Forum, and in terms of priorities it's not the highest for them.

I'm doing my best to find out whether there's any more we can do in the meantime but please bear with us.

Thank you!

Andrea
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • robatwork
    Thanks for the update and keep on it please Andrea.

Did you get a chance to talk to MSE Karl - I doubt he posted the above link from an iphone but stand to be corrected?
  • Will do Rob
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Here's the latest mess
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74337289&postcount=11

All I did was copy the text from an email to here, and failed four times.

Even copied it into notepad and then from there to here, but no differet

:mad:
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »

It started after a change we made resulted in this problem occurring on certain Apple devices.

Many of you have sorted it using the guidance in that article (see our original thread) but that doesn't appear to be working for all of you.

Unfortunately our tech team has a large workload covering all of MSE, not just the Forum, and in terms of priorities it's not the highest for them.

I'm doing my best to find out whether there's any more we can do in the meantime but please bear with us.

This is not a guide to 'sort' the issue. You are asking people to disengage a useful piece of software on their phones to suit one forum.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 June 2018 at 10:02AM
    This is not a guide to 'sort' the issue. You are asking people to disengage a useful piece of software on their phones to suit one forum.

It's not just that either. Even those of us who don't even use apple devices are subjected to it when trying to read posts by those that do, and for every person who visits the site feedback section to find the solution there are dozens more who just shrug and keep posting gibberish.

Or even worse, historic posts made before the forum change that contain helpful information that have been rendered unintelligible. It's not reasonable to expect affected users to go back and retrospectively correct their posting history over this.

This forum's value is in the collective wisdom of its userbase. This issue directly affects that and (IMHO) should be a priority.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Raxiel wrote: »
    It's not just that either. Even those of us who don't even use apple devices are subjected to it when trying to read posts by those that do, and for every person who visits the site feedback section to find the solution there are dozens more who just shrug and keep posting gibberish.

Personally I do not edit mine as I thought it would spur on MSE to sort the issue. The solution is currently 'there is no solution, unless you want to change your phone settings' I dont want to change my phone settings. Why should I, when it works perfectly fine for 99.99% of the internet/messages etc

Editting out the issue means they are more likely to simply ignore it and leave it as is.

To be honest I think they are going to ignore it whether we continue to show the issue or not.
  • robatwork

To be honest I think they are going to ignore it whether we continue to show the issue or not.

I'm personally hopefully that Andrea is going to tweak Martin's conscience - or failing that the hairs on his forearm - until MSE make their forum compatible and readable, rather than foisting a half-baked workaround that would involve tens/hundreds of thousands of forumites making changes to their devices that in large numbers they either don't want to or can't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure