Updated Mobile Unlocking Article discussion

Former_MSE_Lawrence
Former_MSE_Lawrence Posts: 975 Forumite
edited 28 April 2014 at 9:10AM in Mobiles

Comments

• ianonline
    ianonline Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    OK, I'll kick off the discussion as there's something I've been wondering about for a while and this seems like a good opportunity to ask the question.

In Martin's article he states:
    Vodafone contract customers can get phone unlock codes for free regardless of how far into the contract they are, and so can Pay As You Go customers provided they've been with the network for at least 12 months.

Now I recall someone from Vodafone posting on the forum and stating that PAYG customers can get an unlock code for free provided they've OWNED a particular handset for 12 months - ie it doesn't matter if you've been with the network for many years, if you've only owned your current handset for a few months, you can't get it unlocked for free.

Assuming that the 12 month rule DOES apply to handset ownership (and not how long you've been with the network), how do they verify how long you've owned the handset? - do you have to send them proof of purchase, or do they just check the handset's IMEI number against your mobile number to see how long it's been used with that number (in which case they could only prove how long you've USED the hanset - this may not necessarily be how long you've OWNED it if you had the handset for a while without using it, or possibly used it with another number).

Is anyone able to confirm therefore EXACTLY how the "12 month rule" is applied for unlocking Vodafone PAYG handsets, and whether there is any information about this on the Vodafone website?

Ian :cool:
  • As a general rule O2 phones are not locked. As Martin says it's well worth trying another operator SIM first! :D
  • Most of the "pay as you go" deals at Carphone Warehouse supply phones which are already unlocked.
    The deals may include buying £10 airtime for a specific network, but it is often cheaper to buy a phone on the cheapest deal available and then throw or give away the new SIM.
    If you want a particular phone on "pay as you go", ask them for the cheapest deal, get them to confirm that the phone which they supply will not be locked. Then just pop in your SIM from your old phone (after saving your phonebook onto your existing SIM card)

:D
  • ianonline
    ianonline wrote: »
    Is anyone able to confirm therefore EXACTLY how the "12 month rule" is applied for unlocking Vodafone PAYG handsets, and whether there is any information about this on the Vodafone website?
    Ok - in partial response to my own query, I've found this official post from Vodafone in their help forum which seems to confirm that for Pay As You Go customers, it's the AGE of the handset (and not how long you've been with the network) which determines whether you can get an unlock code from Vodafone for free.
    Obtaining an NUC code

Vodafone will supply a Network Unlock Code (NUC) for you if you have an account with us either Contract or Pay As You Talk (PAYT.) An NUC allows you to use non-Vodafone SIM cards inside your Vodafone handset.

If you got the phone with a contract the NUC will be free of charge, regardless of its age, as all new contract phones are now dispatched unlocked.
    If the phone is a PAYT handset over 12 months old the code will also be free of charge.
    If it's a PAYT handset that's less than 12 months old a charge of £19.99 including VAT would apply. The £19.99 will need to be credited to your phone before you apply for the code. Once the NUC has been issued the charge will be debited.

To obtain an NUC code you would need to contact our customer services team on 08700 700 191 or 191 from a Vodafone mobile. You could also contact us by completing our online contact form, available on www.vodafone.co.uk at the Vodafone Contact Us Forum.

You will need to have the following information available for us to process your code
    • Make/model of mobile
    • IMEI number (The IMEI can be found by entering *#06# into your phone or it is also given in the battery compartment of the device).
    If the IMEI number is kept on our system we can give you the NUC straight away. If we don't hold the details there is a timescale of 72 hours to retrieve the code from the mobile phone manufacturer. The only exception for this is for Samsung, who have a timescale of up 16 days.

Obtaining a GID1 code

Prior to October 2004 all Vodafone PAYT handsets were GID1 locked in addition to being network locked. A GID1 code means that the handset would only accept a PAYT SIM card (unless the GID1 lock was removed.)

From October 2004 onwards Vodafone PAYT handsets no longer came with a GID1 lock. In instances where an older phone may still be GID1 locked Vodafone will remove this free of charge. Please follow the above instructions to obtain a GID1 code if required.
    They don't, however, go so far as to say how they actually establish whether a handset is over 12 months old - ie:
    • date of manufacture? (->> highly unlikely)
    • date of purchase? (->> quite possibly - but do they ask for proof of purchase? and what if you buy the handset second hand?)
    • date of registration? (->> don't think so, as there's no requirement for people to actually register their handset with Vodafone when they buy a phone)
    • date of first use? (->> another possiblility, but this may not take into account if you have used the same handset with a different Vodafone simcard for part of the period of ownership)
    :confused:

• mchughjcf
    mchughjcf Posts: 15 Forumite
    not sure if this is in the right part of the site (fairly new to the forum), but just to make you aware of some details about all these free sim cards/unlocking your phone mentioned on this site such as
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/unlock-mobile-phone#illegal which i think you should know.

while its pointed out that it isnt illegal to unlock a phone in the uk, on a recent return journey from the United States i was pulled over for 'extra security' which one of procedure involes your mobile phone being checked. the ' state security staff'(i forget there offical title) showed a particular interest in my phone (which i had unlocked) and made it clear that they knew the phone had been unlocked and asked to 'inform details on the ownership of the phone and the purpose of its use'.

make of that of what you will ........

i just think you should make people aware that while in the uk unlocked phones are givern a blind eye. in other countries you might be attracting attention to which you have to account for..

although this shouldnt put you off get the great offers out there!!!

ps sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum

all the best there moneysavers

Macca
  • brirob
    brirob Posts: 6 Forumite
    My first time on the Forum, can anyone point me to the correct page for unlocking codes, Im lost.
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    brirob wrote: »
    My first time on the Forum, can anyone point me to the correct page for unlocking codes, Im lost.

Try reading the first few threads on this page
  • ianonline
    brirob wrote: »
    There are a few "sticky" threads at the top of the mobiles board - ie 2 for Nokia phones and another thread for all other phones:;)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=14

• withywood
    withywood Posts: 346 Forumite
    i got a w850i and because it was over 12 months old, all i had to do was register a vodafone sim card with them and then it was unlocked in 48 hours
    :j if my house aint clean enough for you tough
  • bat999
    bat999 Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    withywood wrote: »
    i got a w850i and because it was over 12 months old, all i had to do was register a vodafone sim card with them and then it was unlocked in 48 hours
    But surely, this is because your phone was locked to the Vodafone network.:rolleyes:
    Or am I missing something here?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure