Repointing a house - cost?

Comments

• My next door neighbour is a professional pointer. Thats all he does, and i use him o my jobs. We are near oldham, so if anyone needs a proper pointer, then pm me.

Bradleigh
  • Thank you Alchemy and Slated for v helpful information and advice about repointing Victorian houses. Could I ask for some further advice. From what you say, I think it likely that when our late Victorian house was repointed some 8 years ago a too strong cement filler was used as outlined in your posts as bits have been falling out since the cold spell of the last winter. The house is about to be redecorated and we've asked the decorator to look at what needs repointing with a view to getting it done while the scaffolding is up. But from what you are saying, I need to make sure he has someone skilled at this. Could you give me some advice on how to specify this when asking for a quote? I realise this is a difficult Q sight unseen but basically the bricks are typical red stock to front and back elevations (so rather soft) and yellow stock on the side elevation. There is no fancy brickwork. Many thanks.
    Cherrian
  • chances are being victorian your house was built using lime! repointing your brickwork using cement will do more damage than good. sorry to say this will need looking at by a professional. spalling of brickwork occurs when water gets trapped in the wall and finds the weakest area to escape ie your red bricks are weaker than the mortar used! the face of your brickwork will eventually crumble and flake away after each frost. use a pro or pay more later! sorry to say i dont live local to you but expect to pay at least £25 m2 if you want the job done done right.
    also there is nothing wrong with using an angle grinder with attachments if used correctly, they make 6mm diamond discs for a reason?
    just to let you know i have over 20 years in the trade and currently lecture part time i can safely say yes iam qualified.
    rant over!
    thanks
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    We had a west facing wall of our semi-detached house repointed nearly two years ago, at a cost of £1220. The cost included the tiles which are between the roof and side brickwork (don't know what they're called), along with scaffolding. The work took several days and the builder mainly worked on his own.

An older tradesman did the work and was very professional. A couple of problems later occurred and the brickie called the same day and rectified.

We are in the North West, and were happy with his work.

HTH
  • karl-123
    karl-123 Posts: 360 Forumite
    weatherprrof ( angled )

pointing brickwork costs £ 10 a square metre

allways has done and allways will

useing grinders or wall chasers takes experience
    but the pointing itself can be picked up in minutes of training

over and out :A
  • Dont listen to one they call Karl who lives by the sea!
    This sort of statement makes me wander have you ever pointed?
    For a start its called weatherstruck finish not weatherproof??
    £10 a meter allways has been allways will be??
    I would have thought someone on this site understands inflation and at £10 m2 you would be broke by the end of the week. Running a business costs money and the owners of the company who are doing a proper job offer a warranty! Do you?? thought not.
    Theres one born every minute if you want a proper job by a qualified tradesman you will be looking at 25m2 unless of course you want the job done by karl who lives by the sea!!!!!:p
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    karl-123 wrote: »
    but the pointing itself can be picked up in minutes of training

over and out :A

You reckon?
  • Thank heaven for people like Slater.
    I'll add to that - if its a solid walled house, forget cement - it mus tbe lime. I agree - 25mm rake depth. DONT use an agle grinder - it wrecks the arrises of the bricks (top and bottom edges) Slater talks a lot of sense about breathing - take heed. the wall breathes through the mortar joints and this needs to be soft and breathable - hence lime - cement will cause a lot of trouble.
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2012 at 9:21AM
    We had our extended Victorian end terrace repointed nearly three years ago it cost us £5800 including scaffolding.
    It is a large house though and the estimates we recieved throughout were fairly consistent,we got 10 estimates all nearly the same.
    We went for a company called Gunpoint in the end who are nationwide,they did an amazing job and I can't praise them highly enough.
    They use a pumping system to replace the mortar which makes it a very quick and the finish is second to none.
    It only took them a week start to finish which was good as scaffolding can be a pain.
    My brickwork looks brand new now and they were very careful to match the colour of the mortar to make it look original.
    They even repaired and renovated the decorate trims on the outside of the house for me where some damage had occurred and replaced a few time ravaged damaged bricks.
    I'd certainly use them again and they were only £123 more than the builders who gave me estimates for just the pointing.
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    I am in need of getting my end of terrace side wall repointed. My neighbour called round this morning and some of my bricks are chipping off and falling onto there plastic roof extension. There is a lot of repointing to be done on that wall. But not sure how to go about the bricks that are crumbling.
    Does anyone know of someone reasonable in the northamptonshire area please?
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills