IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Vehicle Control Services County Court Claim - Am I stuffed?

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You now need to use post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky as your bible and guide from here on. It will take you through, via comment and links to examples, what you have to do and by when.

You need to read it carefully and thoroughly; it should be your 'go to' reference source until you get to the courtroom. Almost every question worth asking is contained in it (or through it). Please don't ask questions of busy regulars about any of the process steps as an alternative to searching for it yourself. At best they will just refer you back to the sticky, at worst they might ignore your question completely.

When you have a draft of your defence (please note spelling - we are not America!) you can put it up for comment, but please don't have any over expectation on receiving detailed replies, there are very few regulars who have court experience, so there are fewer people prepared to comment - and as this is holiday season, the forum is relatively deserted of regulars at this time of year, but the number of cases increases through people parking in unfamiliar places whilst on holiday.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • You need to look to see what your rights include. Read my Admiral thread that Lamilad linked to. How did you get your permit? From your employer? Do you pay for the parking? Did you sign anything when they gave you your permit?
    There's not enough information here to know how to advise. You may be able to pressurise your employer more to cancel the PCNs and may be able to say that you had a pre-existing right to park which means that you cannot have entered into any new contract with the PPC imposing different terms to those imposed by your employer. Eg your employer may have said you had to display the permit, then that's an obligation to the employer not the PPC, and there was probably nothing saying you would have to pay a charge if you didn't display it. Did they have your reg number (in which case there's a reasonable expectation that they might double check you're not a permit holder before suing you).... etc.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • tbay07
    tbay07 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I have (finally) drafted my defence after reading through all of the documents. I have just used a template from another forum that seemed very similar to mine and tailored it to fit my case better.

Apologies if I've gotten the wrong end of the stick with what to do, I'm very new to all of this and have no legal background!

I appreciate any help you can offer. Here goes:

Claim Number: ____
    Vehicle Control Services Ltd (Claimant) vs. Me (Defendant)
    I am ___, the defendant in this matter and registered keeper of vehicle ___.

Statement of Defence

I deny that I am liable for the entirety of the claim for the following reasons:

1. It is admitted that at all material times the Defendant was the owner of a ___ vehicle variously with registration marks___ as permitted by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority ("the DVLA")

2. It is neither admitted nor denied that to which the Claimant are permitted to undertake parking enforcement. The Claimant is put to strict proof.

3. It is admitted that the Defendant parked her vehicle on the dates stated whilst working at MY COMPANY. The premises are operated by MY COMPANY with whom the Defendant works and is permitted parking free of charge. The Defendant denies any separate contract with the Claimant in respect of parking arrangements.

4. It is not admitted that the Claimant has contractual or other lawful authority to bring proceedings against the Defendant. The Claimant is put to strict proof. Further, and in the alternative, the Defendant avers that the Claimant requires the permission of MY COMPANY or the owner of the relevant land, if different, to commence proceedings.

5. The Defendant works at the premises and as such is entitled to parking, which was agreed with MY COMPANY. The Defendant has continued to abide by the contract in place between the land owner and MY COMPANY which does not mention a permit or subsequent charges if this is not displayed. In the premises, it is denied that there was any breach of contract or of parking terms. The Claimant's claim is wholly misconceived.

6. The claim against the defendant is for breach of contract. The defendant argues there was no contract in place. The defendant can evidence poor signage at the premises. There are three different signs on the premises. One indicates MY COMPANY employees and visitors are welcome to park in the spaces provided. The defendant argues this sign does not mention any permits required to park on the premises. The text is very prominent compared to the small printed sign issued by the claimant. The defendant avers that theirs would be one of several contract the defendant could have entered into by their own logic.

8. The Defendant avers that the Claimant has issued proceedings inappropriately, prematurely and without complying with the practice directions on pre-action conduct.

9. The defendant contacted the claimant to appeal twice and did not receive notice of the outcome of the claim. The claimant continued to send two notices of intended court proceedings. The claimant failed to respond to the defendant’s appeal. The claimant failed to provide the defendant with the opportunity to appeal with the relevant independent body.

9. The Defendant avers that the Claimant's claim has no reasonable prospect of success. The defendant asks the court to eliminate the claim as having no reasonable prospect of success as it stands.

STATEMENT OF TRUTH
    The Defendant believes that the facts set out in the Defence are true.

The key points I'm trying to make here are that the signs are very unclear, there was already a contract in place with my company that doesn't mention anything about permits and they failed to reply to my appeal letters.

Thanks for everyone's help so far :)
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    3) what do you mean by "operates" ? I assume that company leases the land? If so what dies the lease say? You've not told us, despite being told to.
  • tbay07
    Sorry - I meant licensed to.

I have the Licence For Car Parking Space agreement from work. I'm going to upload it in its entirety now - hold on.

Argh - as a new user it won't let me post a link

imgur.com/a/pifw1

edit: that might have worked. Let me know if it hasnt!

There - no mention of charges or of Vehicle Control Services
  • Sounds like you have a decent chance. Good luck.
  • nosferatu1001
    http://imgur.com/a/pifw1

So there is already a licence to park, so primacy of contract, and no requirement to enter into a contract with a 3rd party or pay them any money
    VCS has no consideration to offer - they cant offer you parking in a space you can already park in - and so no contract can possibly be formed

Thats two legal defences already.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The key points I'm trying to make here are that the signs are very unclear, there was already a contract in place with my company that doesn't mention anything about permits and they failed to reply to my appeal letters.

The defence looks good so far, maybe needing some headings to make each point clear.

And it cries out for a reference to case law; Saeed v Plustrade springs to mind, as referred to by Johnersh, a solicitor, in this defence under the section he headed as:

Authority to Park and Primacy of Contract

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72977032#post72977032

That licence is the golden bullet to accompany your Witness Statement when you file it later, some 3 weeks before the hearing.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • tbay07
    So I've (finally) been asked to provide my supporting documents to my claim.

After looking on the newbie thread, I've got my case law documents printed and will include these as well as some pictures on the confusing signs and my parking contract.

As I've put myself down as the only witness I've gathered (from the newbie thread) I have to now provide a statement. Is this different to my defence or do I just put a copy of my defence in?

If it's different, I'm not sure what I need to add as my defence pretty much has everything in it that I want to say.

I think I have all the relevant documents to send after I've cleared this up, please also let me know if you think there's something I may have missed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
  • nosferatu1001
    Yes it’s of course different

Defence is a series of legal arguments
    Ws is a statement of facts.

You should have seen the many examples on just this page alone in your research
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure