Dyslexic -,didn't get job due to spelling

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    Keep trying OP, you will find a employer that can understand.

I see what you did there. Nice joke. :money:
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Anybody that says spell checkers solves the problem, doesn't have the problem.
    To the OP you need to learn to deal with it. They don't owe you a living. My answer is to be self employed and employ a full time secretary.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,794
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    ceredigion wrote: »
    To the OP you need to learn to deal with it. They don't owe you a living. My answer is to be self employed and employ a full time secretary.

Well it certainly helps me immeasurably.

I'll also have another tab open where I will google anything that I type which bamboozles the spellchecker and also use to check the correct usage of language and phrasing.

(i.e, I just checked "phrasing" because although I know it is the right word I am looking for, it just didn't look right written down)

I also try to be meticulous with my proofreading (hmm, one or two words, just need to check ;) ).

Yes it slows me down but I would rather that, than persistently make mistakes which I feel would reflect poorly on me.
  • Shaznay1 wrote: »
    Hi

Applied for a government job and advised in the job application disability part of my dyslexia diagnosis. Just got an email rejecting the application because of spelling...(which is related to dyslexia.) I would call them but their is no visible contact number for recruitment and the email advised to not respond to it. If I'm having this issue with dyslexia i can only imagine that they are probably ignoring others disability issues as well! Does anyone know of a governing body who maybe able to investigate. x

You didn't get a Civil Service job because they told you it was due to your spelling? Yeah right. No way you would get any kind of feedback like that - it would just be a generic thanks but no thanks, and if you had an interview it would be based on the evidence you spoke about.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    ceredigion wrote: »

Doesn’t solve the problem at all, it merely helps you to deal with the problem. My glasses don’t solve my shortsightedness, they merely aid me- it’s the same principal.

I’m dyslexic and auto correct was my friend making this post.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Quite, dyslexia is no reason to submit a poorly worded or spelled (?spelt) application. Doing so demonstrates that you haven't found ways to deal with the dyslexia, which is a problem whereas the dyslexia per se isn't.

I honestly think that dyslexia brings with it as many advantages as disadvantages, learning to embrace them key to it not mattering.

(DOI dyslexic)
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,649
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    w06 wrote: »
    I honestly think that dyslexia brings with it as many advantages as disadvantages, learning to embrace them key to it not mattering.

Can I ask what the advantages are?
  • w06
    Personally and from observing a lot of others over the years, I think it gives more of a 'big-picture' view of the world and a lateral approach to tasks that's often more successful than the direct approach
  • w06
    I've not seen that before, certainly fits with my experience personally and in those I've taught and worked alongside
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure