Gutter quote - expensive?

Good Morning,

Had a bloke round this morning who's business is a window cleaner/gutter cleaner/pressure washer etc etc.

He's measured our guttering of which we have 39.97m of, and is charging £3 per m to clean and £2 per m to empty. So all in all £199.85 + Free window cleaning at the same time. The front gutters are badly clogged (visible growth - lazy previous owners) so they're the only urgent job really.

Does this seem reasonable? Needless to say I don't want to pay £200 when the only stuff that really needs doing is emptying the front gutters.

Thanks

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Gutter cleaning is a horrible job! If I had £200 I would pay it rather than get up on a tower and do it myself, getting covered in the cr*p from the gutter is pretty gross. I'm assuming that it's a 2 storey building, I think you can get an extendable thingy to clean them but have no idea if it's effective
  • MrBrindle
    MrBrindle Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    maisie_cat wrote: »
    Gutter cleaning is a horrible job! If I had £200 I would pay it rather than get up on a tower and do it myself, getting covered in the cr*p from the gutter is pretty gross. I'm assuming that it's a 2 storey building, I think you can get an extendable thingy to clean them but have no idea if it's effective

Hiya, yes a detached house. I may just ask for the gutters to be emptied, not too fussed on having them cleaned.
  • Oh I think that’s quite expensive, not sure, I have a 3 bed terraced house . Just the rear of the property gutters needs cleaning as it’s clogged and the bloke only asking for £60
  • Thurso_man
    Thurso_man Posts: 20 Forumite
    I replaced all guttering and soil pipes for £350 detached house wilth 6 down pipes due to being one and half storey. I did have the tools and could do it myself but £200 to clean them seems a lot. But then I suppose if it take two days. £100 a day.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    MrBrindle wrote: »
    Good Morning,

Had a bloke round this morning who's business is a window cleaner/gutter cleaner/pressure washer etc etc.

He's measured our guttering of which we have 39.97m of, and is charging £3 per m to clean and £2 per m to empty. So all in all £199.85 + Free window cleaning at the same time. The front gutters are badly clogged (visible growth - lazy previous owners) so they're the only urgent job really.

Does this seem reasonable? Needless to say I don't want to pay £200 when the only stuff that really needs doing is emptying the front gutters.

Thanks

Hilarious - a guy has measured guttering to two decimal places of a metre (oh yeah!). This has then price equated to just 15p short of the nice round figure of £200 for cleaning (what a coincidence!) but the offer is fantastic because it includes a "free" window clean.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I've just been quoted £50 for a 'normal' 4 bed detached, cleaning gutters front and rear. Probably around 20m of guttering in total.

This is in the northeast
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport