Origin broadband - Contract minimum term hidden on site

Options
Origin Broadband have no information about the length of the contract on their mobile site. I have checked all the way from the homepage to placing an order, even in the Terms of Service.

I tried to cancel my service and was surprised to learn that I was in an 18 month contract :mad:

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 April 2018 at 10:05PM
    Options
    https://www.originbroadband.com/policies/terms
    When the Party's over (i.e. Service Is Cancelled or Terminated)
    When you signed up for our services you agreed to a minimum term (12, 18 or 24 months usually) and you are required to continue services for the minimum period.

Which package did you sign up for?

Origin Broadband & Line Rental Supersaver 12
    Origin Broadband & Line Rental Supersaver 24
    Origin Fibre & Line Rental Supersaver 18
    Origin Max & Line Rental Supersaver 18

Something else?

All the packages info I can see on their website are very clear regarding the minimum contract periods.
  • peterrrg
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Which package did you sign up for?

Origin Broadband & Line Rental Supersaver 12
    Origin Broadband & Line Rental Supersaver 24
    Origin Fibre & Line Rental Supersaver 18
    Origin Max & Line Rental Supersaver 18

Something else?

All the packages info I can see on their website are very clear regarding the minimum contract periods.
    All of those Supersaver packages are pre-paid plans where you pay the whole 12, 18 or 24 months in advance.

I took out the "Origin Fibre & Line Rental" package. This had an 18 month minimum term, but it is not mentioned anywhere.

Remember this is hidden only on their mobile site.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    peterrrg wrote: »
    All of those Supersaver packages are pre-paid plans where you pay the whole 12, 18 or 24 months in advance.

I took out the "Origin Fibre & Line Rental" package. This had an 18 month minimum term, but it is not mentioned anywhere.

Remember this is hidden only on their mobile site.

I've just looked at their mobile site and if you enter your postcode to check then go ahead to purchase the package it appears to not tell you the minimum term.

But if you scroll down on the main page it details the broadband packages including their minimum terms, they also have this on another page as well.
  • peterrrg
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    I've just looked at their mobile site and if you enter your postcode to check then go ahead to purchase the package it appears to not tell you the minimum term.

But if you scroll down on the main page it details the broadband packages including their minimum terms, they also have this on another page as well.
    Ah, these have been added today following intervention by the Advertising Standards Authority.

Even though they admit this information wasn't displayed anywhere when I took out my service, they still won't let me cancel without charge :mad:
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    peterrrg wrote: »
    Ah, these have been added today following intervention by the Advertising Standards Authority.

Even though they admit this information wasn't displayed anywhere when I took out my service, they still won't let me cancel without charge :mad:

Ask them who their ADR provider is and make a complaint with them?

Or (admittedly this is an assumption on my part) stop trying to argue with them over the phone and put your complaint in writing. That as they did not include any minimum term at the time of entering the contract and as they cannot retrospectively vary the agreement, you cancelled your contract on x date and - in line with their T&C's - the last date you are billed for should be x date (when the notice period expires).

Front line customer service can be very good at their job. But they're not trained in law - whether consumer, contract or otherwise. Which can often lead to them telling customers things that are wholly incorrect.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure