And now the fuse is lit...

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Looks like things are starting to cool down over the "little" water - http://www.newsinenglish.no/2017/10/04/housing-price-fall-turns-into-a-dive/
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,193
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Ha! Your comments about how much things cost - and specifically bins - reminded me of a recent object lesson on the difference between an MSE'er and a non-MSE'er - an acquaintance of mine a year or so ago wanted a new recycling/rubbish bin for the kitchen. You know the things, one compartment for rubbish and another - usually bigger - for recycling. neither compartment are ever big enough for your needs, but still. She purchased a "SimpleHuman" brand bin - now I'd never even heard of these but apparently they are the "designer label" of kitchen bins. She paid £110 for this if my memory serves me correctly. (Yes - over £100 for something to dump your rubbish in!) I (And other friends) nearly fell over backwards laughing at her. when we had our kitchen done earlier this year, I did a bit of shopping about, and found pretty much the same thing without the attached designer label for £44. Personally, I'd say I win that round! :p :money:

A common theme of Asda's everywhere seems to be that they attract folk who presumably purchased their driving licenses there on a previous visit...
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • ZTD
    Ha! Your comments about how much things cost - and specifically bins - reminded me of a recent object lesson on the difference between an MSE'er and a non-MSE'er - an acquaintance of mine a year or so ago wanted a new recycling/rubbish bin for the kitchen. You know the things, one compartment for rubbish and another - usually bigger - for recycling. neither compartment are ever big enough for your needs, but still. She purchased a "SimpleHuman" brand bin - now I'd never even heard of these

Neither had I until looking recently. I looked - I laughed...
    but apparently they are the "designer label" of kitchen bins. She paid £110 for this if my memory serves me correctly. (Yes - over £100 for something to dump your rubbish in!)

But in there would make it "probably the best rubbish in the world" - surely?
    I (And other friends) nearly fell over backwards laughing at her. when we had our kitchen done earlier this year, I did a bit of shopping about, and found pretty much the same thing without the attached designer label for £44. Personally, I'd say I win that round! :p :money:

:rotfl:

But you don't get to say "Look! I have a simplehuman. Yes, the outrageously expensive brand everybody has never heard of."

Don't get me wrong, I will pay for brand names, but only in places where I think it makes a difference. So, for example, I have GoodYear Ultragrip Winter tyres, because they're just about the best you can get in that size of tyre - and ultimately it's my life. However, for a bin, I'll forgo simplehumans, habitat and all those sorts of things for an eerily cheap Wei Hung Lo bin...
    A common theme of Asda's everywhere seems to be that they attract folk who presumably purchased their driving licenses there on a previous visit...

You go to a posher one than me. I think they shoplift them where I go...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Tried the mattress, it being "a bed in a box" kind. Foam matresses have come a long way, but I've decided you can't beat springs.

So, it'll ultimately end up on the spare bed. Probably being at least 3 times what I'll pay for the bed...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Definitely agree with you about sprung mattresses being best - we tried a LOT before we bought ours. And then we tried them again. And a third to to be safe once we'd narrowed the choices down a bit. The common theme was that foam ones got dismissed on the first pass - "memory" it seems only really helps when you sleep in the same position a lot - I apparently don't! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Matresses cost a fortune. But sleep is probably the most important thing for your sanity, and you only have to spring out every 10 years or so.
  • ZTD
    edited 10 October 2017 at 6:40PM
    Definitely agree with you about sprung mattresses being best - we tried a LOT before we bought ours.

Yet Which said the foam ones had a higher satisfaction rating than springs - just goes to show doesn't it?
    And then we tried them again. And a third to to be safe once we'd narrowed the choices down a bit. The common theme was that foam ones got dismissed on the first pass - "memory" it seems only really helps when you sleep in the same position a lot - I apparently don't! :D

Unfortunately, I do and I don't. When I flake out after work, I sleep on my back and stay still like I'm dead. Which is probably not that far from reality...

When I actually go to sleep properly, I sleep on my side. And often toss and turn depending on how good a night it is.

Did you find the memory foam ones hot?
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Matresses cost a fortune.

And so much variety as well! It's almost a given you're not going to get the "right" one.
    michelle09 wrote: »
    But sleep is probably the most important thing for your sanity, and you only have to spring out every 10 years or so.

Or even longer... *cough* :o
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Came back to this house in the dark last night. Met a cow. For such a large creature, they're damn near invisible as matt black against an unlit hedge. Fortunately - very fortunately - not standing in the middle of the road, as that would have been excitement I could well have done without.

The only thing that gave it away even up pretty close was that it's eyes light up like cats' eyes.

Which I didn't know until last night...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ZTD wrote: »

Bought a £5 odd kettle to tide me over - I could almost buy 4 for the price of a bin... :eek:

We bought 3 £5 kettles for a business centre and they were good.

In other news.....I've found your diary :money::money::money:
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ZTD wrote: »
    Yet Which said the foam ones had a higher satisfaction rating than springs - just goes to show doesn't it?

Did you find the memory foam ones hot?

:o

A friend steered me away from memory foam because I am a woman of a certain age. Said her teenage son loves it though!!

What I learnt was never to put your bed in storage because 'things' live in storage!
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure