This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Options

Comments

• Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The reason for our very high food bill has become clear. Before sitting down to *meal plan* I reviewed the fridge. A number of items were sporting white furry jackets making them only fit for the recycling green bin. And the rest....well... I fondly imagined sitting by the stove with a cookery book or two and being inspired to write a list of wonderful meals I would rustle up on a shoestring next week. Then reality hit :rotfl:

There were a number of items in that fridge that needed using up before they too grew those white fluffy jackets.

One sweet potato was very soft almost liquid but the rest have been turned into sweet potato and chilli soup. (Theres enough for the freezer as well as this evening).

A sort of salsa salad has been made out of a cucumber and 3 tomatoes desperately in need of being used up. With a red onion, some spring onions and a splash of soy sauce, olive oil and lime juice it looks rather yummy. A bag of salad leaves from the village was carefully sorted through, washed and popped into a salad server ready for meals. A number of the leaves were really not making an effort to survive....but...rather than chuck the lot I have rescued most. This is a first for me. Normally I would just bin them all.

An onion has been chopped ready to add to the cold cooked potatoes I found so we can have a spanish omelette (I'll add some peas from the freezer to that). Served with that salasa.

The salvagable part of a green pepper was chopped, added to a yellow pepper and the remains of some celery and an onion and is ready to be turned into a stew with some defrosting chicken. There should be enough there to make a meal serving plus 2 or 3 portions for the freezer. I love that I have a pot with all the chopped veggies ready to make the stew.

Finally there are enough carrots and half a white cabbage so coleslaw towards the end of the week with burgers and buns from freezer. And broccoli and some cabbage that will do as veggies if they can hang on in there till later in the week and there is chicken and fish in the freezer as a protein source. And lots of spuds. So easy!

My shopping list consists of bananas, a small tub of single cream (so I can make pasta eggs and bacon to use up the bacon) parsley (to add to the pasta dish) and some philly cheese so I can make another vat of soup using a squash I've found. And some fruit .....because Mr Watty eats a lot of that.

So, a tiny shopping list, and, if I cook some chicken from the freezer I can even manage a packed lunch for the one day Mr W needs one if he agrees to take a lot of that salsa with him. I might just pack it up for him to make sure it goes with him!

What is so exciting is that last week I pretty much lived out of the fridge and freezer. But this week, I've made an effort to "use up"...:A

I'm actually proud of myself :rotfl:
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • EchoDelta
    Options
    Well done Watty! Great stuff. :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge - No. 117
    Bank of Mum & Dad - £3150/£10,000 (£6850 to go) Bank of In Laws - £4600/£12,000 (£7400 to go)
    MFW - MFD - [STRIKE]5 Apr 2029[/STRIKE] 5 June 2025 : AIM = NOV 2019 (back up aim = MAR 2023)
  • Watty1
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement EchoDelta. Making breakfast this morning, I was so excited to see everything in the fridge organised.

Just need to decide what to do with so many lemons gently resting in the fridge. Goodness knows how so many got there. Surely I didnt' buy them? Whatever was I thinking???

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Options
    FloppyDisk wrote: »
    Oh dear what have I started Watty! :D it sounds like you have already made the bulk outlay, you're pretty much there towards having an business and income!

Your comment provided the inspiration and I LOVE the idea :). There is a lot to do if I am to make it real though, I have to learn to reverse a trailer for a start! And I will need a means of getting the kit to places, so a landrover and a trailer. Mr W thinks, after some research, he can build a suitable trailer for about £300. I thought he would poo poo the idea but he was surprisingly supportive once he realised I had no intention of starting till we had paid off the mortgage and got a savings pot sorted. He did say he couldnt see how I could do it whilst running my current business, and no, I dont either. But one thing at a time. Lets get the mortgage sorted whilst holding the idea and see where it takes me..... I'll keep you updated!

• EchoDelta
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    Just need to decide what to do with so many lemons gently resting in the fridge. Goodness knows how so many got there. Surely I didnt' buy them? Whatever was I thinking???

Haha! With us it is always cucumber.

Sounds like you need to make some lemon drizzle cake .....*drools*
    Sealed Pot Challenge - No. 117
    Bank of Mum & Dad - £3150/£10,000 (£6850 to go) Bank of In Laws - £4600/£12,000 (£7400 to go)
    MFW - MFD - [STRIKE]5 Apr 2029[/STRIKE] 5 June 2025 : AIM = NOV 2019 (back up aim = MAR 2023)
  • LauraJo
    LauraJo Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah there you are!! I am too fascinated by the poo hoover and it probably should go on the 'must list' if my field goes ahead. I love the way you justify the cost of it by the long term saving and going to use that with my OH lol!
    I think the idea of renting out your machines is top! I'd hire a topper!
    Mortgage starting balance 2011 ... £170k today £1.5k
    Savings: £3k
    Aim: 100k by Dec 2021
  • sadbrokegirl
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am trying to be debt free and Im geting there big part due this site, my situation now is that I still owe a total £5222 ( from a total of £10945) but Im sorting it out.
    In Oct will be receiving £2000 from my brother (family arrangements) I would Like to pay my bill with Natwest that is the following:

Natwest student account £1099
    Natwest loan £1336 ( I already defaulted and asked PPI and got, so this is what is left to pay)
    Which makes a total of £2435 but I would like to settled on £2000 (at its 80% of what is left) they keep changing the collection companies ( in Abril they gave me a company I start to pay £60 a month by May the company told me they are not dealing with my case anymore) since then I havent received any name of other company.
    Should I just go to a Natwest branch and ask to settle then and there? Or should I write to them and ask for the setlement?

Thank you for the advice.
  • Watty1
    Options
    LauraJo wrote: »
    Ah there you are!! I am too fascinated by the poo hoover and it probably should go on the 'must list' if my field goes ahead. I love the way you justify the cost of it by the long term saving and going to use that with my OH lol!
    I think the idea of renting out your machines is top! I'd hire a topper!

Thanks for the encouragement! I mentioned this to OH today and his comment was that I need to learn to reverse first so I look more professional! Haha. He has a point.

And we only bought the kit because we couldnt find someone to come and do it for us. And have topped for a neighbour a few times as she is a pal. Once the mortgage is down I'm gong to start on the business plan. Totally looking forward to it now!

• Watty1
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am trying to be debt free and Im geting there big part due this site, my situation now is that I still owe a total £5222 ( from a total of £10945) but Im sorting it out.
    In Oct will be receiving £2000 from my brother (family arrangements) I would Like to pay my bill with Natwest that is the following:

Natwest student account £1099
    Natwest loan £1336 ( I already defaulted and asked PPI and got, so this is what is left to pay)
    Which makes a total of £2435 but I would like to settled on £2000 (at its 80% of what is left) they keep changing the collection companies ( in Abril they gave me a company I start to pay £60 a month by May the company told me they are not dealing with my case anymore) since then I havent received any name of other company.
    Should I just go to a Natwest branch and ask to settle then and there? Or should I write to them and ask for the setlement?

Thank you for the advice.

I've no idea SadBrokeGirl. How about reposting this in the debt free forum? I'll bet there will be lots of folk over there who will be able to help. Good luck though. And well done on acheivements so far.

• GreenNinja
    Options
    Hi Watty, ref your excess of lemons... you can slice them and put in a plastic tub in the freezer, then you can just add them to a drink as needed and they kind of double up as an ice cube!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback