Microsoft Partners: good as should be?

oldwiring
oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 21 April 2018 at 10:56PM in Techie Stuff
I've been looking to update some MS software. You can be assured that resellers like PC World will want top whack, so I've been looking elsewhere e.g. Amazon. Some seem to claim they're Microsoft Partners, but on viewing feedback, I noticed tales of non-working stuff.

Am I too cynical in thinking being a Microsoft Partner is like membership of a trade association i.e' one pays therefore one belongs? Also I don't see membership numbers, which raises my doubts.

Opinions, please!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No a Microsoft Partner is not that. a MS Partner is vetted by MS. A MS partner can only sell legitimate licensed software in accordance with MS licensing T&C so if someone is selling license stickers or OEM licenses without selling components to build a PC such as motherboards they're not a legitimate MS Partner. Microsoft have a list of Partners on their website.
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    May I have the linky? Please!
  • >Opinions, please!<

I've bought Visio 2016 and Project 2016 from Amazon sellers for under £15 and they've installed and activated fine with the license keys provided.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What type of licenses did you buy? That sounds suspiciously cheap, which suggests that they have been sold in an incorrect way - that is, they may have sold "home use" licenses that you are not authorised to use, for example, or several other means of selling cheap licenses as long as you ignore the terms of use.

(I should add, it's several years since I was involved in MS licensing, so it may all be different by now. But those sound too cheap to be correct).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure