FSCS advise please?

Options
Hello All,
New to the forum, just wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding PPI and trying to claim through the FSCS scheme.?
To cut right to the chase a brief outline is as follows:

Mods please move or delete this thread if in the wrong section?

I had a mortgage with a company called Regency Mortgage brokers this company also arranged my PPI.
I fell ill and went on to claim on above insurance,

Company said no, as it was a pre existing medical condition, but I had declared this illness and I had paid a higher premium because of this.

I lost our house, and took Regency Mortgage brokers to court,

And case was awarded in my favour, they were given 7 days to repay the premium of £1575 .
On the 7th day a letter arrived, but it was from administrator's stating that Regency Mortgage brokers had gone bust!
I couldn't believe our luck?

All this happened around 12 years ago ( Yes I'm still very bitter over it)
But I've now learned that the Financial Service ombudsmen offer a way to reclaim if the company have gone bust?

I have gone on their website and th I found it very hard to take things in when reading it, also it requires so much information about the company, which I don't have anymore,

Would I be able to contact the court and see if they can provide information on the case?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You say "around" twelve years ago.

Note that this has to be post 2005, if you are to have any chance at all.

If you don't have details of the firm, just put down exactly what you know. Google can help here too,
  • smithersjones
    Options
    Thank you for your quick response,

I will have to get my wife to sort the dates out, as she remembers this sort of thing.
    Then I will add to this post

Thanks again
  • smithersjones
    Options
    An update,
    Sadly it was pre 2005 my wife seems to think it would be as follows:
    99-2000 we took the mortgage & PPI out
    2003 illness had got worse
    2006 we lost the house

So it would seem that I am unable to pursue this any further?

Thank you once again for your quick response.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This seems a bit odd - you took out a PPI policy, declared a pre-existing condition which wasn't covered but they made you pay a premium to cover it anyway? Or the premium was added because it might cause other issues which were covered?

Any which way no you can't claim off the FSCS, the time to act was 12 years ago and try and claim as a creditor of the failed business
  • smithersjones
    smithersjones Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2018 at 8:22PM
    Options
    Yes, it was very odd and from what I can understand the reason the magistrate awarded in our favour?

The premium was paid for in one payment of £1575,
    This was after I had declared my illness, my illness took a turn for the worse, I had to have major operations.

The letter I received from the administrator's stated I was a creditor, and also stated that HMRC would be the first to be paid, should there be anything left after the creditors would be paid with those creditors of importance being paid first,

That was the last I heard on the matter?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FSCS won't cover things pre-2005 so if the funds ran out after the creditors had their turns, unfortunately it's over even if it was miss-sold as it sounds like it was.
  • smithersjones
    Options
    Thanks for your help Nas,
    Appreciate it,

Saved me a lot of wasted time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts