Which dating site would be best for finding someone who wants to settle down and have a family?

Comments

• batg
    batg Posts: 295 Forumite
    I think Tinder and POF are 95% looking for a leg over.........not many wanting lasting relationships on them two.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think a few years back that was the case.

Nowdays everyone is on Tinder. Its no different to facebook it seems!

Not "everybody" is on Tinder, Facebook, Twitter (I'm sure there are more that I haven't heard of).

There's still a real world out there. Don't any of your friends have sisters? Enlist the help of married friends - wives usually have a friend who they think would be perfect for you.

Don't you have any interests - you could join a club and maybe meet a like-minded person. Take an evening class or two in something you have an interest in. Take dance classes - there are always too many ladies at a dance class.

Try not to sound so desperate. Look for a lover before you look for somebody to have your babies!
  • KnightRider
    KnightRider Posts: 63 Forumite
    If you're actually serious etc .... then you might be better off putting in the effort at that "real life" place.

In the main, those online are just passing time, or there to look only ... and are pretty wishy washy. They're probably also more self-obsessed.

You want "a real person".... and you find them in the real world.

I would love to meet someone in "real life", unfortunately it's not so easy. I don't do bars (and I doubt I'd meet a good woman at one anyway) and most women my age are already married (already had a married woman try it on with me and my response will always be "no way").

I know people say coffee shops and bookshops but, realistically, if I go to a coffee shop, I'm going to buy coffee. If I go to a bookshop then I'll definitely end up buying books (probably lots of them)!
    batg wrote: »
    I think Tinder and POF are 95% looking for a leg over.........not many wanting lasting relationships on them two.

I'm not looking for hook-ups so Tinder doesn't appeal at all. POF is pretty much just the same people from OKC.
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Not "everybody" is on Tinder, Facebook, Twitter (I'm sure there are more that I haven't heard of).

There's still a real world out there. Don't any of your friends have sisters? Enlist the help of married friends - wives usually have a friend who they think would be perfect for you.

Don't you have any interests - you could join a club and maybe meet a like-minded person. Take an evening class or two in something you have an interest in. Take dance classes - there are always too many ladies at a dance class.

Try not to sound so desperate. Look for a lover before you look for somebody to have your babies!

Nearly all of my friends are married. Their sisters, friends, etc. are all married too. I usually get told that someone "may" know someone but then they either forget to ask or it turns out that that someone wasn't single after all. Most people don't care about their single friends and the standard response is to "try online dating". People already coupled rarely understand the realities of online dating, they think it's just a big catalogue, you just have to choose someone and away you go - especially when they "know someone who met their husband/wife through online dating"!

Very few clubs here and evening classes that I've wanted to join have all been cancelled "due to lack of interest" (this is things like foreign languages). I have a pretty busy job anyway so it would need to be something very interesting to me to make me want to go after a tiring day. Dancing doesn't really appeal to me.

I don't think checking the "wants kids" option on a dating profile and wanting to meet someone who wants a serious and honest relationship makes me "desperate". :-)
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I met my bloke in a pub, watching football (no idea if that makes me a "good woman" or not. The default seems to be to meet on dating sites these days, but other exceptions amongst my friends have been at a walking group and conservation volunteering.

Why not try selecting "maybe" for the kids option and see if that increases the matches?
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • fibonarchie
    fibonarchie Posts: 975 Forumite
    Why not try selecting "maybe" for the kids option and see if that increases the matches?

erm.. cos he definitely doesn't want kids?

No point in leading people on, or giving out mixed messages.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Have you checked out "MeetUp" and "Spice" - they are groups of singles who get together and do things and maybe love will follow. It's real life and based around activities and events s- some are simple like going to the cinema whilst others are a bit more adventurous.

Maybe worth a look in your area.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I would love to meet someone in "real life", unfortunately it's not so easy.
    No it's never easy .... and if you don't like bars there'd be no point trying to pull in one because ... they'd like bars :)

It's that old "hobbies" thing again, what do you like doing.

You need a hobby where others will talk to you, you can join a club - but something you can do alone, or with others.

No train spotting, girls don't really do that.
    Photography can be good, although not that great if you need pricey kit and accessories and, these days, "nobody really cares about photography as we're immersed in multi media 24.7"

So, sports.... now, maybe you hate sports, but there are a few "dossy" ones. One I've fancied is kayaking ... of course, you do need a kayak and a vehicle to get it to water. But it's "manly" and you don't have to do a lot ... once in it, you can almost just bobble about on the spot in places where people are... perchance somebody speaks to you :) Oh, you could join a kayak club. But if you've no car, live in Milton Keynes and can't swim, that's not good.

Try to pick something that suits your location and can be done alone, or with others .... so you can do it alone until you bump into others. Then hang out in forums for that activity, to "make mates". Then meet up with those "mates" .... and eventually and over time they'll know other people who are passing by, or have a BBQ, or something.
  • selement
    selement Posts: 518 Forumite
    What age range are you considering? You might have better luck with early 30s? I think by 38 most women who want kids are probably already having them. I have a friend who has the opposite problem almost and struggles to find single women who don't have kids and don't want them. Do you exclude those who already have kids?
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    selement wrote: »
    What age range are you considering? You might have better luck with early 30s? I think by 38 most women who want kids are probably already having them.

I was thinking the same thing. Why does she have to be the same age. If you expand your scope down middle 20's, you might have more luck.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Have you checked out "MeetUp" and "Spice" - they are groups of singles who get together and do things and maybe love will follow. It's real life and based around activities and events s- some are simple like going to the cinema whilst others are a bit more adventurous.

Maybe worth a look in your area.

One of my mates has met her fella through meetup. It is for meeting friends but she and him found they liked similar stuff and went out and there due a kid in the next few weeks.

I've met a few fellas on pof. There's a lot on there that want a leg over but there are a fair few that's alright. I think it also depends on the ages you are looking for. I have a lot of younger folk messaging which is ok but it's a challenge wanting the same thing.

The paid for sites are a rip off in my opinion as you won't get that many folk paying. I did many years ago and thought it's a waste of money.

Also see if there's any singles nights in your local area as that might be a way of meeting folk.

I'd keep on you want kids though. No point in not if its what you want though.
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport