PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord being an idiot

Options
My friends have recently moved into a new flat. However, one of them has lost their keys for the flat (total set: 3 keys). 2 out of 3 keys are protected, so they need the landlord's permission to get an extra set. However, the landlord is being paranoid and wants to change the locks at the tenant's expense. There are 3 locks (1 lock on communal door, 2 locks on flat door).

Landlord wants to change 1 lock, and duplicate keys for the 2 other locks (he is asking for £148 in total - wow!! He will also add another £90 if he cannot fit the lock himself). He will then see later if he wants to change other locks. Is this even ethical? I know in the tenancy agreement, there was a clause that the tenant would pay "reasonable" costs associated with replacing keys and/or locks. But since when did tenants pay for changing locks completely? And not even normal locks, he wants to buy some fancy "EVA" brand. Do tenants have no rights/or say in this matter?

I have a feeling landlord is trying to take advantage of the tenants as they don't know much about locks.

Any advice on what should be done?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If a tenant has lost 3 keys to 3 locks, and some of those keys are for the building as well as the flat, then it is perfectly reasonable for the LL to change the locks.

Anyone could now have those keys and gain access to any part of the building.

It is also reasonable to replace the locks with ones of similar quality - not just the cheapest - what are the existing locks?

What does 'protected' mean?

As for the prices, they may be excessive, it's hard to know without looking at the locks? Why not ask a locksmiths shop what similar locks cost?

An additional £80 for a call-out for a locksmith to do the work is about right.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If a communal key has been lost, I would at least consider changing that lock. I would also wish the lock to the flat being changed. Some secure locks are difficult to part-replace (unlike Yale, etc.) so will be costly.

Evva locks are quite possibly like the former. It also sounds like the landlord is not charging you for his time, if he is able to do the work himself.

When do tenants pay for lock changes? When they carelessly lose the keys, including to a communal door, that's when!
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have no idea if those numbers are reasonable costs for purchasing and fitting THOSE kind of locks but in principle yes it's fair.

1- This is the purpose of protected locks - the LL knows exactly how many keys are out there and who has them, so if a set is missing then it's reasonable to change the locks.

2- The replacement locks should be to the same standard / quality as the old ones. Were the old ones EVA / comparable cost?

3- It is the tenant's fault for losing the keys so they should pay any costs.
  • JohnnyZee
    JohnnyZee Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    'Protected' keys are those you cannot copy without a master code (it is on some card).

The communal door serves only 2 flats. My friends live in a converted house. I understand that it is a bit irresponsible to lose a set of keys but you cannot let the tenant bear the full cost. I am not sure what brand the current locks are, but wouldn't it be fair for the tenants to pay only part of the cost? The lock is going to outlast the tenancy agreement. So why should the tenant pay for the full price of a new lock (not even some deteriorated one)!
  • JohnnyZee
    Options
    Also, the keys are not identifiable and hence you cannot trace them back to the flat. So how will someone know where you live if they found the keys on the street? We are talking about busy, busy London!!
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    JohnnyZee wrote: »
    Thanks guys.
    'Protected' keys are those you cannot copy without a master code (it is on some card).

The communal door serves only 2 flats. My friends live in a converted house. I understand that it is a bit irresponsible to lose a set of keys but you cannot let the tenant bear the full cost. I am not sure what brand the current locks are, but wouldn't it be fair for the tenants to pay only part of the cost? The lock is going to outlast the tenancy agreement. So why should the tenant pay for the full price of a new lock (not even some deteriorated one)!

Don't be silly....of course the tenants should pay if they lose their keys! Why should the landlord or any other tenants pay for their mistake?

I suspect most locks would "outlast the tenancy", what has that got to do with anything?
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • JohnnyZee
    Options
    Ok, so if the tenant has to bear the full cost of replacing the locks, shouldn't they at least have a say on what to replace it with? How can the landlord chose the brand, decide all the costs involved and ask for "cash" without producing any receipts? I just feel there is something not right here...
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    JohnnyZee wrote: »
    Also, the keys are not identifiable and hence you cannot trace them back to the flat. So how will someone know where you live if they found the keys on the street? We are talking about busy, busy London!!

Can the tenant be sure the keys weren’t stolen?

Sorry, but if you lose keys, you are responsible for the cost of changing locks, I’m usually on the tenant’s side in these kind of threads but not this time, this is just reasonable consequences. I bet they’ll be more careful with the new keys!
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I understand that it is a bit irresponsible to lose a set of keys but you cannot let the tenant bear the full cost
    This sentence is an oxymoron. You can't say that someone shouldn't be responsible for something when they have been acting irresponsible!
  • JohnnyZee
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.
    It looks like I am not gonna win the argument!

Ok, so if the tenant is responsible for bearing the cost, what is a "reasonable" amount? This term has been used in the contract. Btw, the tenant is happy to pay for duplicating the keys. But not for full cost of an expensive lock!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure