Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JW1975 wrote: »
    That CAA advice is not as clear as you think it is.

If you are abroad at this very moment in time, no matter who you travelled with and you have return flights with Monarch and you are due home before the 15th they will get you home.

If you are in the UK right here and now and planning to depart the UK in the next few days and return on a monarch flight before the 15th October - They will NOT get you home

But how would they know when you arrived if you are travelling with a different airline?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    MPhillips wrote: »
    I have booked a flight (outbound only) with Monarch via lastminute.com but cannot find anywhere my rights in this situation and lastminute.com are not helping. They do not provide a breakdown of costs only a total cost so am not sure whether I can claim via my credit card as not sure whether the Monarch flight was over £100.
    Looks like I will have to book another, more expensive flight.

It'll be the total cost in this case as it was sold as a package and if one part is missing then I'd assume you can't use the rest. There may be a chance that if you decide to use the bit that is still valid that the cost of a new flight could be an incidental expense which S75 covers. Might be a long shot, but do a bit of reading round and make sure you know the rules before you speak to the credit card company as they probably aren't experts in S75 either.

I can only assume Lastminute still only has basic ATOL cover. Full cover means that they can book you on another flight at no extra cost to you or them, but this is not an option all travel agents take up I believe; well that was the case last year when I was reading round the subject when I was hit by Low Cost Holidays going under.
  • miamoo
    miamoo Posts: 1,694 Forumite
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    The OS won't assist you until at least 8 weeks after you have lodged an official complaint ... unless the supplier provides a deadlock letter before then explaining their final decision on the complaint.

You don't have a final decision as the supplier said "they may change their stance and to ring back tomorrow"

Ok thanks, I am going to see what they say tomorrow, and then give it a few days to see how the situation develops. If Martin Lewis is correct that Santander is the only bank saying no, they could change their mind. If not do you think its worth me sending a written request to do a chargeback? or is them saying 'no' on the phone enough for me to go to the ombudsman?
    £100 - £10,000
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    denglish89 wrote: »
    I hope someone can help me out with this...

I am flying to Lisbon on Friday with RyanAir NOT Monarch. I then have a flight home on Monday THROUGH Monarch.

Can I still go as my flight home is within the 14 days and should still be operating?

Thanks in advance

Who did you book through and how did you pay for the trip? Is it part of a package deal with ATOL cover?

If you are on a flight only booking I don't believe the CAA are flying people home as the ATOL will only apply to package deals.

If you booked through an intermediary it is best to talk to them first, sadly they are all a bit busy today though so I can appreciate that not having an answer will be driving you a bit mad. Try to be patient is the only advice I have and I know that it is not easy in this situation.
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    miamoo wrote: »
    Ok thanks, I am going to see what they say tomorrow, and then give it a few days to see how the situation develops. If Martin Lewis is correct that Santander is the only bank saying no, they could change their mind. If not do you think its worth me sending a written request to do a chargeback? or is them saying 'no' on the phone enough for me to go to the ombudsman?

Hi, this sounds very familiar. A lot of banks and card companies tried to send people down alternative routes for refunds when Low Cost Holidays went under. Humour them and try, get your evidence together that it is not something you can do and go back to them. If they say the same thing again raise it as a complaint, there are rules on complaints that banks need to comply with and if you need to go to the ombudsman you can be seen to have tried to resolve it with the bank. Be patient, stick to the facts and use Martin's advice pages to read into your rights and don't take no for an answer.
  • Oly
    Oly Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2017 at 2:15PM
    Options
    Bear with me, it's complicated, but we've got tangled in both Ryanair & Monarch's mess!

In June we booked return flights with Ryanair. Last week we received an email stating that our return flight was cancelled and that we could either have a refund or alternative Ryanair flight. We contacted Ryanair via webchat who (due to timings of flights) changed our return flight to one 2 days earlier. However we then found out that this would have knock-on costs with car hire, accommodation etc. As such, after reading online that Ryanair should be offering replacement flights on alternative carriers we contacted Ryanair (webchat) and they agreed to pay up to 3x the original flight cost for an alternative return flight. As such we booked an alternative return flight (£380 for the 3 of us) on Thursday and submitted our receipt and the webchat transcript to Ryanair. The next day Ryanair sent us an email refusing to pay for the alternative flight. Today our alternative carrier (Monarch) have cancelled all future flights!

When Ryanair refused to honour the alternative flight costs we contacted our credit card company (Barclaycard) who have suspended the June payment to Ryanair to follow their dispute process. Today we have again contacted Barclaycard who has also suspended our payment to Monarch for the alternative return flight.

Our questions are;

1.) Are we correct in saying that Ryanair DO have to honour paying for an alternative carrier for our return flight?
    2.) What are our chances of getting our money back from Barclaycard for the Monarch flights?

We still wnt out outbound Ryanair flights but the answers of the above will then determine whether we buy new flights (as prices are rising) or cut our holiday short, pay the extras on car hire/accomodation etc for the privilege, and take the Ryanair flight home 2 days early.

What a palaver!
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    Oly wrote: »
    Bear with me, it's complicated, but we've got tangled in both Ryanair & Monarch's mess!

Our questions are;

1.) Are we correct in saying that Ryanair DO have to honour paying for an alternative carrier for our return flight?
    2.) What are our chances of getting our money back from Barclaycard for the Monarch flights?

We still wnt out outbound Ryanair flights but the answers of the above will then determine whether we buy new flights (as prices are rising) or cut our holiday short, pay the extras on car hire/accomodation etc for the privilege, and take the Ryanair flight home 2 days early.

What a palaver!

Oh bless you, that is a horrible mess.

Can't help on question one, but I believe they are supposed to be paying to put you on a rival carrier.

With regard to question 2, Barclaycard should refund the cost of the Monarch flights but be patient as they are probably waiting to see how many claims they get. When Low Cost Holidays went under it took them about a month to decide to start issuing refunds and then a long time to get through each one. Hope that helps, good luck with Ryan Air, at least they are still trading, although it's a shame Monarch went under, their customer service was always good and their staff didn't deserve any of this.
  • r.dorward
    Options
    I booked and paid for accommdation and (Monarch) flights for next April through Alpharooms, now that Monarch flights are all cancelled, are Alpharooms liable to provide replacement flights ? as we paid Alpharooms not Monarch. Sent couple of emails to Alpharooms but no response.
    Original flight was due at Alicante at 19.30 plus tranfer times so we would arrive at accommoation well after 8pm, contacted Alpharooms for information about keys for apartment as office closes at 6pm but no response, over a week now and no further reponse from Alpharooms.
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    r.dorward wrote: »
    I booked and paid for accommdation and (Monarch) flights for next April through Alpharooms, now that Monarch flights are all cancelled, are Alpharooms liable to provide replacement flights ? as we paid Alpharooms not Monarch. Sent couple of emails to Alpharooms but no response.
    Original flight was due at Alicante at 19.30 plus tranfer times so we would arrive at accommoation well after 8pm, contacted Alpharooms for information about keys for apartment as office closes at 6pm but no response, over a week now and no further reponse from Alpharooms.

Check the ATOL certificate they supplied to you, there is a long bit on their web site saying what is and isn't covered. Be patient, they are probably very busy today and dealing with people who are on holiday or were due to go in the next couple of days. At worst you should get a refund from them, but I keep my fingers crossed that you can rescue your trip.
  • davholla
    davholla Posts: 523 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Has anyone paid for future flights with Barclays visa debit? If so have you contacted the bank? (Asking for a friend, who was told to contact Monarch).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure