PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• Just get it cut down then. What's wrong with first time buyers? We have a couple, FTB, buying our house, hopefully, who seem to need their hand holding at every minor thing. Stick to renting if you're all so scared then you can have a landlord come running whenever the slightest problem arises. Maybe buying isn't for you.

I am not a FTB, (this is my 3rd house purchase) though it is 21 years since I last bought and I don't remember it being so problematic back then. First time buying alone though, so maybe that's the difference. I have had quotes for reducing the height of the tree or cutting it down completely, but will probably go with reducing the height.
    I did think about renting, but didn't get as far as viewing anywhere.
  • sukavi2011 wrote: »
    amateur, you may possibly thinking too much into it. I think surveys show up every single potential threat that can cause probs. Its up to you if you want to let it worry you. My buyers queried fact I could be in flood risk area but in my 30yrs here there's been no flooding. They dont say it is affecting the house only the fact it could do, so could a tree in neighbouring properties or so many other things. You can drive yourself mad thinking worse of everything. Good luck xx

I do definitely overthink thinkg lol. The survey said the rear wall is distorted, that sounded a bit worrying too, but apparently wall ties will fix it. You can look up flood risk on the environment agency website, so they could find that out for themselves. I can see why they say moving house is one of the most stressful things, I feel I've aged about 10 years since I started this process lol.
  • toc25
    toc25 Posts: 237 Forumite
    Happytails that is a nightmare I would stand firm though, think they are just trying it on. I would say that the house was valued based on its current condition and if the things they state need doing were done it would be priced higher. Honestly it really annoys me how people think they can hold people hostage like that. Fingers crossed they will back down.
  • LuckyG
    LuckyG Posts: 226 Forumite
    Oh no happytails, I hope it all works out okay for you. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

We've only just managed to change the locks on our house, bought the wrong size originally and these past 3 night shifts have left me so tired. I just haven't felt like doing anything over there.

However, I have cleaned up all of the doors ready for a new coat of gloss and hoovered right throughout as there were hundreds of cobwebs.

Went to Dunelm this afternoon and got a really nice net curtain for the living room and some blackout curtains for the bedroom.

I'm on my last night shift tonight, then 4 days off so planning on making the most of them. Van is booked for Tuesday so we will be staying there permanently from then on.
  • davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    So here ours:

10 Jun 17 Offered on house
    10 Jun 17 DIP with HSBC (I know...but we bank with First Direct)
    12 Jun 17 Offer accepted
    12 Jun 17 accepted asking price offer on current home
    13 Jun 17 Applied - "Decision Obtained"
    14 Jun 17 Uploaded all required documents
    28 Jun 17 Text with Mortgage accepted subject to valuation
    4 Jul 17 full mortgage offer!
    6 Jul Buyer withdraws :(
    10Jul New Buyer
    12 Jul Buyer withdraws as their timeline doesn't match ours :(
    18 Jul Cash buyer with lower offer than we could afford
    20 Jul vendor agrees to reduce price on our purchase so all back on :)
    21 Jul Realise need to apply for new mortgage as this takes us over 60% ltv :O

Fingers crossed it all goes through in Sept
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What a nightmare davilown!

Today is the day we should find out if our buyer will accept the £1000 off counteroffer to her £7000 off or will walk.

Dreading the phone call but also looking froward to it because I need an answer even if it isn't the one I want to hear. Being in limbo is no fun.
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • Good luck Happytails. :)
  • Lu_equi
    Lu_equi Posts: 31 Forumite
    Hi All
    I actually had a little panic as to where the original thread had gone:eek:
    So ..
    Our timeline I have actually forgotten exact dates as it seems so long ago !
    All I know is it began in April and Solicitors were instructed then , the seller only got his contract draft sent back in June !
    July All searches back ok and enquiries raised.
    I have the contract/transfer to sign which I am sending back today and then we wait again for enquiries to be answered.

I have been on here constant watching people who started the process after us exchange and complete , I haven't brought one thing for the house as I do not want to jinx it LOL . So on the day of Exchange I will be out shopping for everything as this is our first place we live with parents currently and all furnishings are theirs ! :). :D

We have said from the start to everyone involved August is our deadline (the end of ) . So we will see.

Good Luck All x :)
  • davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    happytails wrote: »
    What a nightmare davilown!

Today is the day we should find out if our buyer will accept the £1000 off counteroffer to her £7000 off or will walk.

Dreading the phone call but also looking froward to it because I need an answer even if it isn't the one I want to hear. Being in limbo is no fun.

Thanks -its lost the expectation factor of moving now so just taking its as it comes!

Good luck for today, hope it works for you
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
  • I hope it's good news Happytails, £7k is a big reduction to ask for, hopefully they were asking for more than they will settle for.
    Davilown, I think sometimes that's all we can do, stressing about things isn't going to change the outcome. Fingers crossed your current buyer works out better than the first two.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback