Working hours and overtime

Options
Hi all,
I wonder if someone could give me there take on my contract please.

My contract in connection with working hours states,

"Your normal hours of work are 35 hours per week exclusive of 1 hour for lunch, and are those required to carry out your duties to the satisfaction of the company and as necessitated by the needs of the business. The core hours are from 9am to 5 pm, mon to Friday. The working hours may be flexible when attending customers sites, but time off in lieu will be given for any work which results in you arriving home later than 6 pm on Fridays"

I am led to believe that I can be forced to work hours up to but not exceeding 48, for not extra pay or toil.

Maybe I'm naive on this but I just can't believe it, so I'm looking for different takes on this.

Thanks for any input

E

Comments

• pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    itaylort wrote: »
    Hi all,

"Your normal hours of work are 35 hours per week exclusive of 1 hour for lunch, and are those required to carry out your duties to the satisfaction of the company and as necessitated by the needs of the business. The core hours are from 9am to 5 pm, mon to Friday. The working hours may be flexible when attending customers sites, but time off in lieu will be given for any work which results in you arriving home later than 6 pm on Fridays"

I am led to believe that I can be forced to work hours up to but not exceeding 48, for not extra pay or toil.

Maybe I'm naive on this but I just can't believe it, so I'm looking for different takes on this.

Thanks for any input

E

You would need to refer to the section of your contract of employment regarding your pay rather than your hours of work, if that is what you are wondering about.

Or you could clarify things directly with your employer. :)
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for any input

E

Hi

When looking at the maximum working week hours are averaged out over a 17 week reference period. Your contract is slightly ambiguous in that it states that your Core hours are 35 but extra time may be needed in order to do the job which seems to be saying that they can ask you to do extra as needed to carry out your duties.

You could raise this with your employer perhaps informally and ask them whether overtime is payable over the core hours /and or whether extra pay will be provided. It may be that they just want to build in a little flexibility into the job which is understandable and have not taken care over the wording or they do indeed what you to work extra hours for no more pay or TOIL ,which is certainly what the current wording could be interpreted as and is allowed under law up to a point. The 17 week reference period is also used to arrive at the minimum wage so any additional unpaid hours up 48 must not result in the rules on national minimum wages being breached.

For further clarification suggest you discuss these issues further with:

Pay and Work Rights Helpline
    Tel: 0800 917 2368

http://payandworkrightscampaign.direct.gov.uk/index.html

See also Cab factsheet on Working hours :

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_factsheets.htm
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • itaylort
    Options
    Many thanks for the replies,

Ambiguous wording I think is interpreted differently by both parties I think, as I interpret as the the core hours are flexible ie instead of 9-5 it might be 8-4. Not that the 35 hours are flexible.
    My employer obviously sees it as the hours and timing is flexible up to 48 hr and as you mentioned not falling below nmw.

But does this means I am at the beck and call of my employer to work at any time of the day or night then?

E
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    But does this means I am at the beck and call of my employer to work at any time of the day or night then?

E

Have you asked for clarification from your employer?
    If so, what do they say?
  • itaylort
    Options
    Hi,
    They say they can make me work any amount of hours up to the 48 maximum without extra pay or toil.

The reason I'm posting is that I am truly shocked that this can be true. If it is it is, but I can't believe that it correct as I interpreted as above that my hours were 35 per week and core of 9-5. The flexibility I assumed was still 35 hours but say 6am to 2pm.

E
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2012 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Hi,
    They say they can make me work any amount of hours up to the 48 maximum without extra pay or toil.

The reason I'm posting is that I am truly shocked that this can be true. If it is it is, but I can't believe that it correct as I interpreted as above that my hours were 35 per week and core of 9-5. The flexibility I assumed was still 35 hours but say 6am to 2pm.

E

As per your contract of employment:
    Your normal hours of work are 35 hours per week exclusive of 1 hour for lunch, and are those required to carry out your duties to the satisfaction of the company and as necessitated by the needs of the business

This is quite a common type of clause in employment that is not hourly paid.

As pooch says, you need to refer to the section on how you are paid for further clarification.

Regarding flexibilty, note:
    The working hours may be flexible when attending customers sites...
  • itaylort
    Options
    Thanks again,

Renumeration

Your salary is currently£...... Per annum payable by monthly cheque/ standing order.

E
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    in one sense you have a "professional" persons contract - ie you are paid a lump sum to achieve a set of work outcomes, how long you take to do that is down to your discretion subject to 2 requirements: 1) you must be present between 9 - 5 (unless on a client site when these times may vary) and 2) you must remain within the 48 hour working time rule.
    ie you are not paid by the hour and you are not expected to be a clock watcher looking to claim overtime at every conceivable opportunity

that said i have never seen a contract quite so ambiguous nor a company that apparently applies its idea of "up to 48 hours" so blatantly

don't know what to add other than find another job??
  • itaylort
    Options
    I think I'm painting them in a dark light and maybe doing them an injustice by doing so, as they do pay toil for hours past 5 pm and before 9am as a gesture and not by contract.
    My initial question was to ascertain if it was in fact true that they could make me work for no toil or extra pay over the 35

E
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes they can, although your normal working hours are 35, you are contracted to 48 when the need arises. Because it meets the national minimum wage they are ok to do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure