Sky Q contract dilemma

Hi, we recently discovered at work that our Sky subscription benefit (to the tune of £70/month) will be stopping in the next couple of months.

I am still in contract until March 2019 and don't know what to try to get my monthly bill down as I still have another 8 months at this package fee.

Cheers for any suggestions.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    we recently discovered at work
    Is this a business contract?

You could always try asking them but it would be at the cost of a new 18 month contract, otherwise you're stuck with the contract you agreed to.
  • We have £70 added to our gross pay (we work in the media industry) to cover a Sky contract but this will be stopping at the end of August. I signed up for my Q contract back in Sept 2017 for 18 months not knowing that this was going to hit us now.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We have £70 added to our gross pay (we work in the media industry) to cover a Sky contract but this will be stopping at the end of August. I signed up for my Q contract back in Sept 2017 for 18 months not knowing that this was going to hit us now.

Ahh, makes sense now.

As said previously then, try talking to them. I'm presuming you do want to keep the Sky setup?
  • Yeah, just after advice about how to go about it as never been in this predicament before.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yeah, just after advice about how to go about it as never been in this predicament before.
    Unfortunately, this is a removal of an employee benefit and has nothing to do with Sky directly if you are simply paid an allowance in order to have Sky. Different if Sky was being paid by your employer.

You signed a legally binding 18 month contract, so Sky are under no obligation to allow you to leave early.

If this will cause you financial difficulty then Sky may allow you to pay an Early Termination of Contract (ETC) fee, but that won't be significantly cheaper than the cost of the remaining eight months of your contract.

Can you reduce your subscription to the bare minimum by removing Sports/Movies/HD etc?

You might instead want to approach your employer about your dilemma. Perhaps they can be persuaded to extend the period of notice that they have given you that your extra benefit will end?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure