Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Kebab69 wrote: »
    Hi we booked flights with a monarch credit voucher and paid £47.62 remainder on Tesco credit card. Does anyone know where we stand. Voucher was for a delayed flight.

If the flights were more than £100 per person then you can claim using Section 75 for the full amount from Tesco.

If they are under £100 per person then you can get the £47.62 back from Tesco using chargeback.

Hope that helps.
  • N4t4lie
    GGardner wrote: »
    Thank you ☺️

Do you think it's worth me escalating further with my bank or PayPal or am I out of options now?

Sadly Paypal have a 180 cut off and stick to it religiously.

But their advice to go to your bank if you paid them using a card is correct and you can use the chargeback process to get your money back. It's those who did it using Paypal credit or a bank transfer outside of the 180 day limit that will not be able to get a refund.

I went through their user agreement with a toothcomb last year when Low Cost went under and would now only use Paypal for a holiday or concert tickets if he trip is within 180 days.

I learned about the chargeback option when it was unclear whether they would pay refunds to anyone, but after a week or two of them talking with the administrators all valid claims were paid so didn't need to go down that route.

Send your bank the standard letter on the main MSE web page with your supporting evidence; send it recorded delivery and keep a copy too.

Payment by chargeback can be quite fast, but do bear in mind there is a caveat that they can reclaim the money within 100 days of the refund if your chargeback is disputed (unlikely as it would be Monarch that needed to do this, but they no longer exist). This caused a lot of unhappiness as lots of people felt they couldn't use the money toward a new holiday until that 100 days had passed.

Hope that helps.
  • GGardner wrote: »
    Thank you ☺️

Do you think it's worth me escalating further with my bank or PayPal or am I out of options now?
    Several banks have now told us you could initiate a Chargeback request with them as long as you're still within the timeframe (540 days from when you bought your ticket)
  • N4t4lie
    marsman802 wrote: »
    The safety video is more entertaining

Ever flown Air New Zealand? Have a look on You Tube if you want an entertaining safety video...
  • Certainly learnt a huge amount because of all this .... will think twice about how to pay for items in future.

Or for travel related purchases take out the appropriate insurance cover.
  • N4t4lie
    Or for travel related purchases take out the appropriate insurance cover.

Personally I am surprised just how many ways you can reclaim your loss in such cases if you have put it on a debit or credit card especially (even via Paypal). We are told to look out for ATOL when booking packages, so why would you pay extra for something that should already be covered?

Trying to have the right insurance product when something like this happens is expensive. A lot of us have the travel insurance that comes with our current account and personal experience says you think you're covered, but aren't.

I'm not saying don't buy travel insurance, the medical cover can be invaluable, but remember just how many times in your life you have had a holiday cancelled due to insolvency verses the amount of successful holidays you've had with no glitches.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    You usually fly BA to a destination Monarch covered?

Fair enough! Seems rather extravagant :D

Extravagant! The likelihood of still being in business when you are due to fly was clearly greater!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sandie11 wrote: »
    Can anyone help, my parents live in Spain and booked their flights in Spain on a spanish Visa credit card but they have been told section 75 is not applicable there, is this correct?, if so does it look like they have lost their money?

any help appreciated

It may well be correct. Although Visa is fairly international the cards issued do have different T&Cs. I know of someone due to fly into the UK with Monarch who was told there was no chargeback available on his overseas issued Visa and the CAA won't fly him into the UK on a single flight as he is based overseas so doesn't qualify for repatriation.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • N4t4lie
    silvercar wrote: »
    It may well be correct. Although Visa is fairly international the cards issued do have different T&Cs. I know of someone due to fly into the UK with Monarch who was told there was no chargeback available on his overseas issued Visa and the CAA won't fly him into the UK on a single flight as he is based overseas so doesn't qualify for repatriation.

I'm pretty sure it is a worldwide policy applied by Visa and definitely by Visa Europe, plenty of info online about it. It may be worth getting a translation of the standard template letter done and sending it to the bank with supporting paperwork to avoid any confusion.
  • N4t4lie wrote: »
    Personally I am surprised just how many ways you can reclaim your loss in such cases if you have put it on a debit or credit card especially (even via Paypal). We are told to look out for ATOL when booking packages, so why would you pay extra for something that should already be covered?

Trying to have the right insurance product when something like this happens is expensive. A lot of us have the travel insurance that comes with our current account and personal experience says you think you're covered, but aren't.

I'm not saying don't buy travel insurance, the medical cover can be invaluable, but remember just how many times in your life you have had a holiday cancelled due to insolvency verses the amount of successful holidays you've had with no glitches.

Credit card yes. Debit card isn't a given whether you'll get a refund or not. Personally, as I don't book package holidays, I prefer to buy insurance that covers. By the amount of complaints around already about not being able to get accommodation costs back, I reckon they'll be more people wish they had bought the appropriate cover for independent travel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure