PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord being an idiot

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JohnnyZee wrote: »
    Ok, I have now gotten some more information. The lock the tenant wants to change is "ERA" brand, not the more expensive "EVVA". That identical lock can be obtained for about £40 from various hardware shops. Also, to duplicate the 2 other keys would cost £10 each. So total cost should be about £60ish.

Now tell me, is the landlord being fair by asking for £150?? Who decides what is the right price? And I understand the landlord is free to put whatever lock he wants, but can he just pass on the cost to the tenant without their say? Also, is it fair to ask to landlord to furnish receipts?

If the tenant can do it for cheaper, then just do it and give the LL the new key?
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    If the tenant can do it for cheaper, then just do it and give the LL the new key?
    Thanks. Yes, that's the avenue we are exploring. I have read some of the messages from the LL. He is quite condescending and wants to take the tenants for a ride. LL claims he has already ordered the new lock/keys. He did not consult on the costs involved. Just mentioned he will get it done next week and the tenants should keep the £150 cash ready.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks. Yes, that's the avenue we are exploring. I have read some of the messages from the LL. He is quite condescending and wants to take the tenants for a ride. LL claims he has already ordered the new lock/keys. He did not consult on the costs involved. Just mentioned he will get it done next week and the tenants should keep the £150 cash ready.

What do you mean exploring? Just go and do it. This could've been done and dusted with-in a few hours.

I can understand why he's getting like that if there's no offer being made. He's having to come and sort out the mess afterall.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    What do you mean exploring? Just go and do it. This could've been done and dusted with-in a few hours.

I can understand why he's getting like that if there's no offer being made. He's having to come and sort out the mess afterall.
    Nah, there is a clause in the tenancy agreement stating that tenants cannot change and/or add any new locks to any doors without the LL's consent. The tenants notified the LL about loss of keys. And he came back saying he has ordered new lock and wants £150 etc.

Also, 1 out of the 2 keys to duplicate is protected and we need the LL to provide a "master code" to get a copy.

It is a bit of a mess unfortunately.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ok, so you are within your rights to change the locks, but at the end of the tenancy you need to put the old locks back on and hand back all the keys.

He can then charge you to replace all the locks as you can't hand all the keys back.

So all you're doing is delaying the cost.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2017 at 1:31PM
    Thanks guys.
    'Protected' keys are those you cannot copy without a master code (it is on some card).

The communal door serves only 2 flats. My friends live in a converted house. I understand that it is a bit irresponsible to lose a set of keys but you cannot let the tenant bear the full cost. I am not sure what brand the current locks are, but wouldn't it be fair for the tenants to pay only part of the cost? The lock is going to outlast the tenancy agreement. So why should the tenant pay for the full price of a new lock (not even some deteriorated one)!

Tennant lost the keys. Why should LL subsidise his carelessness?

If I were a LL and my tenant lost keys shortly after moving in, then called me an idiot for wanting to replace the locks, I would terminate his contract at the earliest opportunity.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ok, I have now gotten some more information. The lock the tenant wants to change is "ERA" brand, not the more expensive "EVVA". That identical lock can be obtained for about £40 from various hardware shops. Also, to duplicate the 2 other keys would cost £10 each. So total cost should be about £60ish.

Now tell me, is the landlord being fair by asking for £150??

Who decides what is the right price? And I understand the landlord is free to put whatever lock he wants, but can he just pass on the cost to the tenant without their say? Also, is it fair to ask to landlord to furnish receipts?

Yes. A couple of hours labour time for arranging and fixing plus the parts (which you have costed) seems perfectly reasonable.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • flybynight
    flybynight Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if the ERA has a protected cylinder it isn't gonna be that cheap to replace, as with all things, there is a range of quality, and if its the top end, it wont be a £15 job. also, if its a limited key, they are more to cut, if each flat is tenanted that is 3 for each set of tenants, 2 for the 2 landlords and 2 for the 2 agents, then add the other 2 locks and the necessary extra keys, and it can add up. so although he may be trying to pull a fast one in terms of over egging the costs, that's not necessarily the case.
    saving for more holidays
  • The cost is the landlord choice and the type of lock, he may need a certain type of lock for insurance purposes and it may be listed in the tenancy agreement the costs about key and lock replacements (all tenancy's I've had had stated the costs of replacements or having to change locks).

As a current tennant I agree with the LL, they will not do it for the exact cost, they are running a business and will charge for that.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I agree with everyone else who said that given the tenant lost the keys it is for the tenant to put things right. This includes paying for labour. Trying to quibble over this is unseemly in my view - you may have managed to cost the parts but I would suggest that if you got a quote for a locksmith to actually come out and fit the locks while removing the old ones it would run a fair bit dearer than £150. Bear in mind you will have also caused significant inconvenience to the landlord in dealing with this matter, and inconvenience to both him and the other tenants in that they'll have to have their keys replaced.

The landlord asking for £150 to replace the locks on the building and the individual flat, including labour, is remarkably good value in my opinion, and probably best to pay it in the interests of a harmonious relationship with your landlord. If you don't, the landlord will pay it anyway (indeed from what you post he already appears to have paid for the new locks) and it will end up coming out of your deposit. It is not at your discretion what locks he orders or who he orders them from beyond refusing to pay anything too excessive (which as above, this is not), not least since you lost the keys and he's entitled to be left in the position he started in.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family