How can I find out who my Mortgage was with?

I had a mortgage back in the 90's and wanted to contact them regarding PPI but do not have any paperwork. Is there anyway of finding out who my mortgage was with?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is there anyway of finding out who my mortgage was with?

Your land registry records will show who you had a mortgage with. It won't show any insurances that you may have taken out. Your bank statements will too.

Do remember, before you spend too much time or cost on this, that most MPPI complaints are rejected. And if you bought via a mortgage broker, estate agent or adviser (as most mortgages are) then stop now. They were not regulated until 2005.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,776 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the proeprty is in England and Wales and was registered in 1990 you cna contact us with the specific details and we can check our records and advise on how to apply for the details
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Look at your credit report?
    no signature
  • dunstonh
    Chappers27 wrote: »
    Look at your credit report?

They show a running 6 years. This mortgage was over 20 years ago.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    They show a running 6 years. This mortgage was over 20 years ago.

Well there's a problem in the system. Why would they not keep records for longer than six years when a mortgage can last 25 years?

That literally makes NO sense.
    no signature
  • Your mortgage will show for 6 years after you pay it off.

31 years isn't bad.
  • dunstonh
    Why would they not keep records for longer than six years when a mortgage can last 25 years?

That literally makes NO sense.

It makes perfect sense. it is called the data protection act.

Why would they keep records that are no longer needed? 6 years after the closure of the mortgage is plenty good enough.

Of course, for most people, knowing who the mortgage is with for a PPI complaint is a complete waste of time. Most mortgages in the UK are put in place via brokers, advisers and estate agents. The lender wouldnt know what insurances are in place.
  • Chappers27 wrote: »
    Why would they not keep records for longer than six years when a mortgage can last 25 years?
    Of course they keep records while the finance is active, if they didn't they wouldn't know what was owed!

It is CLOSED accounts for which records are routinely disposed of six years after closure.

The OP of this thread, for instance, was enquiring about a mortgage he held in 1990's, not one he is still paying 25 years later!
  • julie_vasanti_ramdeen
    julie_vasanti_ramdeen Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 June 2019 at 3:52PM
    In 1990-1994 ? I had a morgage. The address where the mortgage was on : [Removed by Forum Team]
    I have tried to recall this information even obtaining statements from my bank account of which payments were taken. This only told me the amount taken but not where or who these payments were sent to. Please advise.
    Thank you.
    julie Vasanti Ramdeen.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You'll only find details in your own filing or memory.

Why do you need to know?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport