Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 28th Jun 11, 6:46 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    MSE news story: Habitat, Moben and others collapse: your rights
    • 28th Jun 11, 6:46 PM
    MSE news story: Habitat, Moben and others collapse: your rights 28th Jun 11 at 6:46 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Consumers could face losing their cash if they have unfulfilled orders with stores such as Moben, after the owners filed for administration."

Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 2
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 29th Jun 11, 11:44 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hi somethingelse,

When posting on behalf of a company you need the permission of MSE to do so. I'll quote the most relevant section of the Forum FAQs below for you...

How do I get a right of reply on what's been said about my company?

If you're from a company, have seen a post you feel is defamatory or offensive and would like the right of reply please email the Forum Team at forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com to ask.

A member of the MSE Team will carry out checks to confirm that you are authorised to represent the company in question.

Provided you have authority to represent your company, you may either be asked to give a statement, which one of the MSE Team will post on your behalf in reply, or be given permission to post directly on the specific thread.

Where permission has been given for you to post directly on a thread, a note from the MSE Team will appear on the thread confirming this.

If someone has posted claiming to be from a company but this has not been followed by a MSE Team note confirming authorisation please use the warning triangle in the bottom right of the post to report it, or email the link to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

There is one, single exception to this rule. If you're from a company and have a discount code you'd like to offer MoneySavers this rule is waived in the Great Want to Offer MoneySavers a Discount? Hunt. You can post your discount once only, on that thread but nowhere else on the forum and shouldn't post about your company anywhere else on the forum.

by Forum Team
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • somethingelse
    Apologies - also I feel I should point out (for a couple of slightly worrying legal reasons!) that I was posting in a personal capacity as a member of staff, not on behalf of the company. The post was for information only.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 29th Jun 11, 12:18 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Apologies - also I feel I should point out (for a couple of slightly worrying legal reasons!) that I was posting in a personal capacity as a member of staff, not on behalf of the company. The post was for information only.
    Originally posted by somethingelse
    Hi somethingelse, and welcome to the MSE forum.

As mentioned above, it might be safer to use the pronoun "they" instead of "we" when posting "inside" information. In truth the forum relies quite a lot on information posted by people "in the know" and we welcome such information for the benefit of us all.

Edit
    When I say "we" welcome information from insiders, you may have to exclude the Board Guides who seem now to assume you represent the company for no good reason. Please accept my apologies for the poor treatment you have received here.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 29-06-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • paulwf
    I think Habitat was probably hit hard by location and rents just like Woolworths. Habitat has had some large stores in prime sites presumably paying high rents but over the years shopping districts change and I know at least 2 stores that are now in odd locations. What may have been a good site 40 years ago may not be now, and in the case of Woolworths they probably had some sites far longer.
  • princesslaura25
    Jane Norman
    In a similar vein to the unfulfilled orders problem, i have some Jane Norman gift vouchers that i have not spent. What do i do about this now that the stores have all closed? They cannot be spent online. Does anyone know what happens with this?
  • laura1515
    Refunds
    Hi,

I bought some items (in total £125) on the Jane Norman website on Friday, unfortunately on my visa debit card. I received the items yesterday but the majority are unsuitable and I wanted to return them. I'm concerned that if I return them, there will be no one there to process them so I will lose my money and the items. I've e-mailed the website, the only method of contact I can see, but no reply as of yet. Has anyone got any advice on what I should do in this situation?

many thanks,

Laura
    • smala01
    • By smala01 29th Jun 11, 9:53 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    smala01
    Probably. If the "lady" had the contractual relationship to buy the kitchen (ie made an offer to buy the kitchen which was accepted by the shop) and smala01 then appears on the scene to pay on his card then no s75 cover. But this is actually rare (even if the bill is written out that way). In most practical cases, the person who is presenting the card is making the purchase. Ie even if the "lady" placed the order, this wouldn't be accepted until smala01 gets his card out.

If the bill is written out afterwards, then it is after the fact and rather irrelevant. If, on the other hand, it was an order signed by the "lady" in advance and accepted as binding, then it's more tricky.

The key thing is that smala01 must have a contractual relationship with the merchant to buy the kitchen in order for s75 to join the CC.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    Right now the reciept is written out to the "lady" but the payment is on my card.

The total payment amount does not even relate to the amount charged to the credit card.

Oh dear, oh dear... really kicking myself about this. Should have checked the receipt. Lets hope Wren remain solvent until the weekend when i can go in and get this sorted out

Smala01
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 29th Jun 11, 11:16 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Hi, I bought some items (in total £125) on the Jane Norman website on Friday, unfortunately on my visa debit card. I received the items yesterday but the majority are unsuitable and I wanted to return them. I'm concerned that if I return them, there will be no one there to process them so I will lose my money and the items. I've e-mailed the website, the only method of contact I can see, but no reply as of yet. Has anyone got any advice on what I should do in this situation?
    Originally posted by laura1515
    Hi Laura and welcome to the MSE forum.

Unfortunately, I think there is not too much you can do because you have received the goods ordered so there is probably no chance of a cashback refund on your debit card from the bank. The distance selling regulations, which apply to the return of unsuitable items bought online, probably cannot be enforced if the company has gone bust.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 29th Jun 11, 11:49 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Hi somethingelse,
    When posting on behalf of a company you need the permission of MSE to do so. I'll quote the most relevant section of the Forum FAQs below for you...
    Originally posted by squeaky
    Just for the record, folks, our intelligent Board Guide has removed an informative post by somethingelse who works for Habitat. The post did not promote the company in any way but merely explained the companies current policy regarding gift vouchers. That information has now been removed. Just what this site needs.

Warning
    When posting inside information for the benefit of readers on this site, use the word "they" and not the word "we" or the Board Guide will get you.
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 30th Jun 11, 10:07 AM
    • 9,418 Posts
    • 22,339 Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

As squeaky quite rightly says we need to be aware if companies are posting officially on the forum so they need to contact us first. In this case the poster's since confirmed they're an employee helping out by explaining what happens in the store they work in so that's fine.

Thanks everyone!

Andrea
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 30th Jun 11, 10:14 AM
    • 35,079 Posts
    • 22,169 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Hi,

I bought some items (in total £125) on the Jane Norman website on Friday, unfortunately on my visa debit card. I received the items yesterday but the majority are unsuitable and I wanted to return them. I'm concerned that if I return them, there will be no one there to process them so I will lose my money and the items. I've e-mailed the website, the only method of contact I can see, but no reply as of yet. Has anyone got any advice on what I should do in this situation?

many thanks,

Laura
    Originally posted by laura1515
    to get some of the money back maybe ebay the items
    • adamg
    • By adamg 30th Jun 11, 2:13 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    adamg
    I bought a kitchen today (not from Moben) that lists each unit, plynth and door as a separate line item ALL under £100 each.

Considering Section 75 - would this be viewed as a £3000 kitchen (good for section 75 protection) or a collection of separate "items" each under £100 (Bad for section 75 protection) ?

I hadnt considered this implication and am considering going back tomorrow to have him hand write a recipt "1 X kitchen @ £3K"

Smala01
    Originally posted by smala01
    from which company did you buy?
    Hi, weíve had to remove your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 30th Jun 11, 2:20 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    from which company did you buy?
    Originally posted by adamg
    Looks like it was Wren...
    Lets hope Wren remain solvent until the weekend when i can go in and get this sorted out
    Originally posted by smala01
  • Bobwiki
    Jane Norman Gift Vouchers
    In a similar vein to the unfulfilled orders problem, i have some Jane Norman gift vouchers that i have not spent. What do i do about this now that the stores have all closed? They cannot be spent online. Does anyone know what happens with this?
    Originally posted by princesslaura25
    You will find that their stores are now open as Zolfo Cooper (Administrators) are trying to get as much money as they can from their stock. It seems that instructions have gone out from "JN Realisations Limited (formerly Jane Norman Limited) - in Administration (the Company)" to allow the Jane Norman Vouchers to be used but ONLY against non-sale items and you have until the 31st July 2011 to use them, so get there quick while there maybe something worth buying. But a word of warning, although this sounds positive there is a big, big CATCH! As well as only being able to use their vouchers against non-sale goods, the value of the goods HAS TO BE DOUBLE the face value of the voucher. I cannot believe that this could be legal but it must be as I am sure they would not authorize such action unless it were. Perhaps somebody who understands the legality of dealing with this type of issue might like to comment. My humble advice to any individual intending to gift any form of retail vouchers to a friend or relation for a special occasion is DON'T. Just give them a personal cheque (Save our cheques) and print something nice on the back. With the retail world in so much turmoil and company's going bust daily, the last thing to do is hand over your hard earned cash for what could well be a fairly WORTHLESS VOUCHER.
    • smala01
    • By smala01 2nd Jul 11, 3:18 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    smala01
    You will find that their stores are now open as Zolfo Cooper (Administrators) are trying to get as much money as they can from their stock. It seems that instructions have gone out from "JN Realisations Limited (formerly Jane Norman Limited) - in Administration (the Company)" to allow the Jane Norman Vouchers to be used but ONLY against non-sale items and you have until the 31st July 2011 to use them, so get there quick while there maybe something worth buying. But a word of warning, although this sounds positive there is a big, big CATCH! As well as only being able to use their vouchers against non-sale goods, the value of the goods HAS TO BE DOUBLE the face value of the voucher. I cannot believe that this could be legal but it must be as I am sure they would not authorize such action unless it were. Perhaps somebody who understands the legality of dealing with this type of issue might like to comment. My humble advice to any individual intending to gift any form of retail vouchers to a friend or relation for a special occasion is DON'T. Just give them a personal cheque (Save our cheques) and print something nice on the back. With the retail world in so much turmoil and company's going bust daily, the last thing to do is hand over your hard earned cash for what could well be a fairly WORTHLESS VOUCHER.
    Originally posted by Bobwiki
    Im affraid once a comapany is in administration voucher holders become an unsecured creditor (like any other business that provided a goods/service to the company)

If the administrator is trying to sell the company as a going concern, they may continue to accept vouchers/returns as "good will" (a potential buyer doesnt will want to retain a positive customer relationship).

Smala01
    • Mithos
    • By Mithos 3rd Jul 11, 6:17 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Mithos
    I'm fairly sure I have a giftcard for Habitat lying around somewhere - anyone know if Habitat are still honouring giftcards, or should I just throw mine in the bin?
    Originally posted by donquine

I had a £50 card before the bust Went in quickly after the news and a friendly staff member said they would take it.

Had a good nose around at the till when paying for my "haul", and there was a print out thing saying their intention was to honor all gift cards.

When I went in it was 20% off all stock, even sale items. Personally I'd use the card ASAP, you might be able to use cards instore, but if your local store closes it could be a trek to get to the next closest one.
  • apapamama
    Hi, wondering if anyone can help. Paid Dolphin in 2009 and the bathrooms been finished, ripped out, put back and its half out now, and i have all the bits to rectify it. I bought my own flooring and was told i would be reimbursed by dolphin. What are my chances of that and also what are my chances of anyone actually filling my bathroom and also what are my chances of any money back? I have a feeling its slim to none but just want to check with people who might be able to help. And I dont want to get someone to coma along and finish it if that invalidates any agreement i have with anyone who buys dolphin.Thanks
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 4th Jul 11, 10:19 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Hi, wondering if anyone can help. Paid Dolphin in 2009 and the bathrooms been finished, ripped out, put back and its half out now, and i have all the bits to rectify it. I bought my own flooring and was told i would be reimbursed by dolphin. What are my chances of that and also what are my chances of anyone actually filling my bathroom and also what are my chances of any money back? I have a feeling its slim to none but just want to check with people who might be able to help. And I dont want to get someone to coma along and finish it if that invalidates any agreement i have with anyone who buys dolphin.Thanks
    Originally posted by apapamama
    "What are my chances?" is probably a difficult question to answer at the moment.

How did you pay? Any sort of credit?
    If so, consider a Section 75 claim.

However, you will not get very far with that until Dolphin actually refuse to continue with the work.
    Until then... keeping your fingers crossed is probably the best that you can do.
    • mr_rush
    • By mr_rush 5th Jul 11, 8:52 AM
    • 568 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    mr_rush
    Sad to see Habitat go into administration but its been a long time coming...
    I love Habitat. Right now I'm sitting in my kitchen at a lovely oak Habitat table drinking coffee from a Habitat mug. I liked their designs and the quality.

However, there were a lot of problems with the company.

1. late entry into online retailing - I think 2008 or so.

2. expensive rents / central locations / lack of furniture on display - all the Habitat stores I can think of have 'central' prime locations with accompanying high rents. Because of this the shops are never very large and therefore cannot display the full range of goods on sale. I'm sure this impacts on actual sales. Tottenham Court Road, Kings Road, Westfield, Richmond, Brighton, Regent Street (closed now)... only in Manchester (Trafford Centre) was a shop actually in the 'right' location. I don't know about you but I don't go looking for a sofa when I'm buying a pair of jeans.

3. Expensive RRP prices with heavy discounting in sales. I don't know who bought at RRP in Habitat. Their prices were high but they had massive discounts in the sales. I think everything I own from Habitat is atleast 50-70% discounted.
  • RJL76
    Hi,

My girlfriend and I have received our Kitchen through Moben just before they've gone into administration. This means while we have received the goods (I'm hoping it's all there) we won't receive the service part of our contract, as in it being fitted. I'm wondering where we stand as far as claiming through the Visa Chargeback scheme as we have paid the deposit through one Visa debit card and the final amount through another.

The other option is that Moben's self employed fitter contacted me in reference to fitting the kitchen at further cost and I therefore wonder if there is way to claim this cost back, if chargeback scheme won't apply.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

2,067Users online

Martin's Twitter