Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2

Options

Comments

• inspirespirit
    inspirespirit Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    I have an interview for a job tomorrow. If I get it, I will be 73pounds a week better off, and it will mean the difference between 'just about surviving', to actually managing and maybe even saving a bit'. Please keep fingers crossed for me.
  • Lady_Lesley
    Options
    Im sure my post has gone again !!!! Im frightened to speak !!!!

I live in a drafty, difficult to heat Victorian terrace that has great insulation in the roof but the windows are sashes and the floorboards have huge holes in them.

There is a certain pink money orientated newspaper that if you mix it with wall paper paste makes a very frugal wood filler for floor boards.
  • 23rdspiral
    23rdspiral Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    £3 today on an amazing and huge patchwork throw - all hand sewn, perfect condition! Fab charity shop find!
    awesome! what a brilliant find!
    Aril wrote: »
    I have dug out and made a start on an unfinished cross stitch kit I had squirrelled away. I'm making an attempt to finish some of my UFOs before starting anything new! [Mind you how long that will last is another matter:rotfl:]
    Arilx
    if you need a boost of encouragement, do join us in the cross stitch cafe :)
    I have an interview for a job tomorrow. If I get it, I will be 73pounds a week better off, and it will mean the difference between 'just about surviving', to actually managing and maybe even saving a bit'. Please keep fingers crossed for me.

good luck!

lola - sorry to hear about your computer woes. am very glad to hear Hannah is on the mend. visiting ducks is a grand way to recover.

frugaldom - that's a big round trip! i feel sorry for your petrol costs. we're only moving a couple of miles up the hill so am glad of that.

~ we've a rental viewing tomorow so i'm at the old house today trying to make sense of the stuff that the boys look like they literally threw around the place when they were moving the bigger furniture out. oh well.

~ i went to visit my great aunt and her villages brilliant faire/market at the weekend... it had an area like a car boot, a craft and food areas and an antiques area so the whole family was happy. i did spend some money though:o, but all bargains i promise:
    - 2 IKEA wall shelves for 8quid to match 2 we already have (asking price 10, shop price circa 15 each but i dont think they sell them anymore!:j
    - some lovely hand soap by a nice company that costs a fortune in department stores but is made in the village so was super cheap!
    - a pretty shirt to cut up for cushions
    - a turks turban squash plant 50p
    - 2 mugs with lids (alan titchmarsh) for 1.00
    - a stitched work of art for my wall (25 from 30! but beautiful and unique and what was that overtime for if i couldnt treat myself just once!)

erm, and i still havent updated my sow. computer with spreasheet still not right. oh well. at least this note will help me remember.
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    inspirespirit - All the best for the job interview.

Hugs for those in need of them.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't worry about posts disappearing Lady Lesley- I think it's happened to all of us at one time or another:D

For those wanting free DIY advice this site has been recommended as being very good
    http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/

I am in no way affiliated to the site.

Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Trying to be good, considering a house move but pros and cons to moving & staying put so no decision as yet.

Just wanted to say InspireSpirit GOOD LUCK - have everything crossed for you.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lady Lesley, I used to do a similar thing with the first house I ever owned. I couldn't afford carpets for the whole house so elsewhere I put paste soaked newspaper between the boards and in any cracks and once dried I painted the floor with white emulsion. I thought it looked pretty good with a couple of rugs.

Hello to everyone else, good luck and hugs to those in need.

Now apart from spending £1.50 for Beavers the other day I have been pretty good. My purse currently holds £5.38 of my original £12 so I have to be carfeful if it's to last me the month :)

TTFN!
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • dizzy_lizzie
    dizzy_lizzie Posts: 2,952 Forumite
    Options

Lots of Good Luck for tomorrow inspirespirit. Everything crossed here too :)
    I've been making dolls out of scraps of fabric. They are to sell but I really don't know what to charge.mrnoface-300x176.jpg

blueragbaby-225x300.jpg

The first ones are really quick to make but the second ones take quite a while. Friends on facebook suggested I put initials on too which will take longer still 'cos my machine doesn't do things like that :-) !
    I love your dollies tumptyteapot especially the second one. I'm sure you'll do very well if you sell them. I would definately buy one if mine were still little :)

Lola so good to hear Hannah is doing well. Bless her.

Slowlyfading sending big hugs and hope things start to look up soon.

Love to everyone.
    Dizzy x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 May 2011 at 9:54PM
    Options
    Im sure my post has gone again !!!! Im frightened to speak !!!!

I live in a drafty, difficult to heat Victorian terrace that has great insulation in the roof but the windows are sashes and the floorboards have huge holes in them.

There is a certain pink money orientated newspaper that if you mix it with wall paper paste makes a very frugal wood filler for floor boards.

I would echo Aril's comment not to worry about it.

I saw the post concerned and suspect it might have "fallen foul" of the rule about not mentioning personal business interests/blogs...yes...I know...I know...it wasnt either actually.....

There can sometimes be a bit of inadvertent erring on the side of caution (which is what I think probably happened in your case in this instance). I have had to "argue back" a couple of times when I know for a fact that I definitely havent gone against any rules (but my post has been deleted anyway) and make it plain that the relevant rule states "*******" (ie whatever it states) and what I said didnt go against that rule and I know the post was removed because one of the small group of people on here who dislike me complained about it - and that time my comment has stayed in place...:cool:

But I really do think in your case that it probably was because of the mention of your "particular thing" (even though you had put the name in asterisks) and not someone "on a personal vendetta twisting the rules to suit them".

AFAIK I know - everyone on here seems to be fine with what you say - but its those rules proving a bit rigidly interpreted...

MSE attracts a lot of "spam posters" and sometimes one can see that a "new name to the Forum" has gone through spamming every single Board they can see on here. Its obvious to us that you are a genuine poster - and not a spammer - but I guess someone on MSE just got a bit "trigger happy". Keep posting Lesley..
  • Lady_Lesley
    Options
    Hello Im Lady Lesley. I sit on my aXX all day because if I dare do anything or post about it I get delet.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure