MSE News: British Gas to shake-up Nectar loyalty scheme

Options
2»

Comments

• bexhill
    bexhill Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    using sainsburys energy having been directed there by the Cheap energy club but have seen little in the way of Nectar points and this is true of shopping with Sainsburys. Only went there as they were giving away money off vouchers earlier in the year which were worth having. These have stopped and are replaced by near worthless extra point vouchers. Will revert to Tesco especially as they are now doing instant refunds if they are dearer than other stores. Personally cannot stand the German stores selling all these unknown makes , never know whats there from one week to the next and I'm not convinced that they are a great deal cheaper on proper brands which clearly mark sugar and fat content in English (very important to me and should be to you!)
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bexhill wrote: »
    Personally cannot stand the German stores selling all these unknown makes , never know whats there from one week to the next and I'm not convinced that they are a great deal cheaper on proper brands which clearly mark sugar and fat content in English (very important to me and should be to you!)

What utter uttter nonsense. Had you been to one of these "German stores" you'd know all the packaging is in English and is packaged for the UK market. They have to show ingredients and stick to the same laws and regulations as any other supermarket.

Their core products are always stocked, always in the same place and the quality for the price you pay is rarely not better than if you shopped at Tesco or Sainsburys.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Options
    Shrimply wrote: »
    What utter uttter nonsense. Had you been to one of these "German stores" you'd know all the packaging is in English and is packaged for the UK market. They have to show ingredients and stick to the same laws and regulations as any other supermarket.

Their core products are always stocked, always in the same place and the quality for the price you pay is rarely not better than if you shopped at Tesco or Sainsburys.

there are a few things they have that actually taste better. lidl ketchup is very close to heinz ketchup and MILES better the the big 4 supermarket own brand. But most of their stuff are just horrible and doesn't compare taste wise.

The fake pringles, fake hula hoops, fake cereal (UGHH!), fake borobons. All are horrible.

LIDL smoked salmon is hard - I think they're the tail end. Aldi smoked salmon is OK.

I shop at aldi and lidl to get motivation to run my business harder and make more money. I can afford to shop at sainsburys as Im childless bit if I had a child I'd have to budget more and shop in aldi and lidl and eat their horrible tasteless food.
  • DuranGirl
    Options

I thought I had it cracked once, I had to buy somebody an easter egg "Great, on the nectar" I thought: No, "this is not your home store". Other times I can't spend enough to get to their minimum spend limits to be able to use the points to pay for my groceries.

I hate all cards and all points. Just reduce the s0ddin' prices and be done with it. !

I had exactly that happen to me yesterday - drives me mad! I'm also struggling with getting an answer from British Gas about how often they transfer the Nectar points I earn with them to my Nectar account - there are no transactions from them for over 12 months (which is as far back as I can check online). Yet ebay points go straight on. Does anyone have any ideas?
    3-6 month EF Challenge Member #19: £3590/£6000.[/B] Craft destash from 22.5.22: 46/200. Declutter from 22.5.22: 105/250 Car finance PAID OFF £7,848.88 IN 2019 (0% LOB)
  • grumpygardener
    Options
    there are a few things they have that actually taste better. lidl ketchup is very close to heinz ketchup and MILES better the the big 4 supermarket own brand. But most of their stuff are just horrible and doesn't compare taste wise.

The fake pringles, fake hula hoops, fake cereal (UGHH!), fake borobons. All are horrible.

LIDL smoked salmon is hard - I think they're the tail end. Aldi smoked salmon is OK.

I shop at aldi and lidl to get motivation to run my business harder and make more money. I can afford to shop at sainsburys as Im childless bit if I had a child I'd have to budget more and shop in aldi and lidl and eat their horrible tasteless food.

Though this is now off-topic I have to chip in about Aldi and Lidl. I get 90% of our weekly shop in Aldi/ Lidl and many of their products exceed my expectations. Aldi jam? More fruit in it than Robertson. Eggs? Fresh with golden yellow yolks, Meat/ Poultry? at least 10% cheaper than Asda. Condiments? Ketchup, mustard, mint sauce, spices? Cheaper and better. Our son lives in Frankfurt and, believe me, the Germans are very fussy about food quality and, for that matter, their electrical etc products that Aldi and Lidl sell.
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2015 at 11:23PM
    Options
    I actually love the snobbery towards Lidl and Aldi here-it keeps my Lidl that wee bit quieter!! Keep it up snobs, keep it up!

Used to do nearly all our our weekly shop at Morrisons and Sainsburys and top off at Lidl. For a few years now it's the other way about and i've not noticed any difference in quality! Actually, if pushed on it i prefer more of the stuff from Lidl than the 2 mentioned above. Don't get me wrong, we've bought some stuff in there we wouldn't buy again but i've done that everywhere. They were well ahead of the rest in offering a large continental selection and what did the rest do....copy them(and they're still too pricey)!! It's not rocket science why the discounts are flying and Tesco are struggling. Same with Morrisons...that last loyalty offer they sent out about a month ago was fired straight in the bin!! They just don't get it and serves them right!!

By the way snobbies- topping up in Marks and Sparks at the moment with vouchers from the new bank account and it's OK- bit rich for my stomach but it's passable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure