Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 28th Jun 11, 6:46 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    MSE news story: Habitat, Moben and others collapse: your rights
    • 28th Jun 11, 6:46 PM
    MSE news story: Habitat, Moben and others collapse: your rights 28th Jun 11 at 6:46 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Consumers could face losing their cash if they have unfulfilled orders with stores such as Moben, after the owners filed for administration."

Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • regprentice
    • By regprentice 28th Jun 11, 8:02 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    regprentice
    • 28th Jun 11, 8:02 PM
    • 28th Jun 11, 8:02 PM
    Was in habitat at the weekend and even in the closing sale couldn't find anything i considered remotely 'cheap'.

Always nice stuff, but one of the items I looked at was a 400 3 shelf bookshelf in plastic?!?! Childrens deckchair for 40?!?!?! i would imagine a trip to IKEA would get similar items for 1/4 the price.

Jane Norman is the same - a shop my wife loves looking in but never buys.

For the most part these companies fall into the 'nice but not essential' bracket and unless they can 'rebrand' in the way companies like M&S have done reasonably successfully (to compete with cheaper shops such as primark/matalan) then their time has come.
  • kind
    • 28th Jun 11, 8:09 PM
    • 28th Jun 11, 8:09 PM
    I bought a skirt from Jane Norman in Debenhams last week and want to return it, not sure what my chances of a refund are. Hope my contract is with Debenhams as I can't afford to lose 45.00
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 28th Jun 11, 8:12 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    • 28th Jun 11, 8:12 PM
    • 28th Jun 11, 8:12 PM
    For the most part these companies fall into the 'nice but not essential' bracket and unless they can 'rebrand' in the way companies like M&S have done reasonably successfully (to compete with cheaper shops such as primark/matalan) then their time has come.
    Originally posted by regprentice
    But look at the flip side to what your saying - TJ Hughes a discount retailer is also going to ask the administrators in too because they bought tat they couldnt sell cheap..
    one of the famous 5
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 28th Jun 11, 8:40 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 28th Jun 11, 8:40 PM
    • 28th Jun 11, 8:40 PM
    Sorry to say my OH works (worked ?) for TJs.

Ho Hum. It has to be said that this outcome was not entirely a surprise, though, and we had made contingency plans.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • mummyplus3
    • 28th Jun 11, 8:53 PM
    • 28th Jun 11, 8:53 PM
    Sorry to hear you OH will lose his job Consumerist, Hope he finds something else very soon!

It is a sorry state of affairs of late! I do wonder if we will eventually become monopolised to the major supermarkets who will just retail everything under their branding?! eek!

• Forwandert
    • By Forwandert 28th Jun 11, 9:00 PM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    Forwandert
    • 28th Jun 11, 9:00 PM
    • 28th Jun 11, 9:00 PM
    Sorry to hear you OH will lose his job Consumerist, Hope he finds something else very soon!

It is a sorry state of affairs of late! I do wonder if we will eventually become monopolised to the major supermarkets who will just retail everything under their branding?! eek!
    Originally posted by mummyplus3
    Even the supermarkets have been struggling to sell the sort of items sold in Tj Hughes, the amount of stock currently sat in warehouses with hardly any chance of selling instore is shocking.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 28th Jun 11, 9:11 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 28th Jun 11, 9:11 PM
    • 28th Jun 11, 9:11 PM
    Sorry to hear you OH will lose his job . . .
    Originally posted by mummyplus3
    Thanks for that.

Truth is, we think this is just the start of a long road of misery for this country. We just need to hunker down and look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Er... we're not really suicidal but just realistic!
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 28th Jun 11, 9:28 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    • 28th Jun 11, 9:28 PM
    • 28th Jun 11, 9:28 PM
    Thanks for that.

Truth is, we think this is just the start of a long road of misery for this country. We just need to hunker down and look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Er... we're not really suicidal but just realistic!
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    Its been like it for a while to be fair. But things like shops closing and such like dont happen over night - it builds up to that point over a year or two through less people shopping there and thus less money to pay bills and so on and so forth.

Trouble is that there are shops that are flourishing too so it kind of balances out imo
    one of the famous 5
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 28th Jun 11, 9:41 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Its been like it for a while to be fair. But things like shops closing and such like dont happen over night - it builds up to that point over a year or two through less people shopping there and thus less money to pay bills and so on and so forth.

Trouble is that there are shops that are flourishing too so it kind of balances out imo
    Originally posted by geordieracer
    Quite agree. But recent news headlines are really bringing the message home.

Without getting too political, the Tories are not averse to a dose of unemployment within the working classes but I don't think they quite expected businesses to go bust all over the place. I do agree, however, that it's the weak businesses who will go to the wall and in the long run the strong will provide the jobs of the future.

The irony is that now the consumer is, at last, doing the right thing by paying off debt and saving, it's going to lead to another recession if we're not careful.
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 28th Jun 11, 10:03 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    Actually unemployment is down under this government http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12 and it started just before they got in and a little rise and its falling again
    one of the famous 5
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 28th Jun 11, 10:08 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Actually unemployment is down under this government http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12 and it started just before they got in and a little rise and its falling again
    Originally posted by geordieracer
    But if this trend of established businesses going bust continues then there is a distinct danger of unemployment rising again and growth disappearing. Don't forget the plan is for the private sector to mop up the unemployment forecast for the public sector.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 28-06-2011 at 10:11 PM.
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 28th Jun 11, 10:16 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    But if this trend of established businesses going bust continues then there is a distinct danger of unemployment rising again and growth disappearing. Don't forget the plan is for the private sector to mop up the unemployment forecast for the public sector.
    Of which there is an unturn of employment in other areas - manufacturing is just one of them. Im pretty sure that shops that have been struggling for the last year are not the ones who have been helping to get unemployment down.
    one of the famous 5
    • dazza.mk
    • By dazza.mk 28th Jun 11, 10:25 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    dazza.mk
    But the initial shakeout of businesses would be those that no longer have a sustainable business, ie someone mentioned going to Ikea rather than Habitat (even though for a few years until 2009 Habitat was owned by the Kamprad family - the founders of Ikea who couldn't turn it around).

And one of the most high profile casualties in the recession Woolworths, where the original US parent company, F W Woolworths in the US effectively sold their Woolworths stores and backed into 'Footlocker' in the mid nineties and survives, whereas Woolworths UK & Woolworths Germany that continued with their own versions of the Woolworths model in their separate companies both went into liquidation in 2009.
    • smala01
    • By smala01 29th Jun 11, 1:13 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    smala01
    I bought a kitchen today (not from Moben) that lists each unit, plynth and door as a separate line item ALL under 100 each.

Considering Section 75 - would this be viewed as a 3000 kitchen (good for section 75 protection) or a collection of separate "items" each under 100 (Bad for section 75 protection) ?

I hadnt considered this implication and am considering going back tomorrow to have him hand write a recipt "1 X kitchen @ 3K"

Smala01
    • smala01
    • By smala01 29th Jun 11, 1:16 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    smala01
    Also noticed that the bill is writen out to the lady of the house, but paid on my credit card!!

Schoolboy error - i have no Section 75 protection at all.

Let this be a warning to others!!

Thanksfully i can go instore tomorrow to have this recitfied, others might not be so lucky

Smala01
  • donquine
    I'm fairly sure I have a giftcard for Habitat lying around somewhere - anyone know if Habitat are still honouring giftcards, or should I just throw mine in the bin?
    • dazza.mk
    • By dazza.mk 29th Jun 11, 8:41 AM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    dazza.mk
    Also noticed that the bill is writen out to the lady of the house, but paid on my credit card!!

Schoolboy error - i have no Section 75 protection at all.

Let this be a warning to others!!

Thanksfully i can go instore tomorrow to have this recitfied, others might not be so lucky

Smala01
    Originally posted by smala01
    It doesn't matter who the bill is written out to, the only thing that matters in that instance is was the payment made on your card , or on 'the lady of the house's additional card on your account? If the former no problem, the later falls into a 'grey area' where I think the FInancial Ombudsman says you wouldn't be covered.

As long as it is paid on your card the Section 75 legal relationship exists (that is ignoring the 100 an item issue)
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 29th Jun 11, 8:44 AM
    • 35,079 Posts
    • 22,169 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I'm fairly sure I have a giftcard for Habitat lying around somewhere - anyone know if Habitat are still honouring giftcards, or should I just throw mine in the bin?
    Originally posted by donquine

why not ask in store or call them,
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 29th Jun 11, 9:18 AM
    • 7,124 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    chattychappy
    It doesn't matter who the bill is written out to, the only thing that matters in that instance is was the payment made on your card , or on 'the lady of the house's additional card on your account? If the former no problem, the later falls into a 'grey area' where I think the FInancial Ombudsman says you wouldn't be covered.

As long as it is paid on your card the Section 75 legal relationship exists (that is ignoring the 100 an item issue)
    Originally posted by dazza.mk
    Probably. If the "lady" had the contractual relationship to buy the kitchen (ie made an offer to buy the kitchen which was accepted by the shop) and smala01 then appears on the scene to pay on his card then no s75 cover. But this is actually rare (even if the bill is written out that way). In most practical cases, the person who is presenting the card is making the purchase. Ie even if the "lady" placed the order, this wouldn't be accepted until smala01 gets his card out.

If the bill is written out afterwards, then it is after the fact and rather irrelevant. If, on the other hand, it was an order signed by the "lady" in advance and accepted as binding, then it's more tricky.

The key thing is that smala01 must have a contractual relationship with the merchant to buy the kitchen in order for s75 to join the CC.
    Last edited by chattychappy; 29-06-2011 at 9:21 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

305Posts Today

3,480Users online

Martin's Twitter