PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 6th August 2018

Valli
Valli Posts: 24,706
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 8 August 2018 at 8:33PM in Old style MoneySaving
What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour
- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Monday Munchroom Mess - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 1

Empty bin and wipe/wash it out - keave it outside to dry in the sunshine it out
Clear sides and wipe down
Wipe stuff as you put it back - kettle etc Don't forget the toaster crumb tray
Clear table; dust, wipe/polish - don't forget the legs
Clean whatever you sit on - Don't forget the legs - and turn them over and look under the seat...told you! How icky does it get where fingers go and eyes don't see!

Level 2

Rinse out that cloth and wipe sockets and switches and door handles
Wipe down cupboard fronts and fascias - paying special attention to handles
Spring clean - pick a neglected drawer or cupboard, empty it and wipe it out.
Wipe window sills and clean the windows
Clean out fridge and weave anything on its last leg into your mealplan
Wipe splashbacks/tiles

Level 3

Dust any dining room furniture
Wipe skirting boards
Sweep/mop/polish floor

Extras

Binbag Dance
HHI
S&S bathroom
check diary for the week - have you got all the cards you need?
Deal with a pile!
sweep/mop/vacuum floors

Triffic Tuesday - out on the tiles
(Bathrooms and en suites)

Level 1

Remove shower curtains and towels - wash that shower curtain!
Wipe down shower screens and cubicles
Scrub bath
Give shower heads a bath in lemon juice
Polish all brightwork (chrome bits - taps & hoses)
Clean shower tray
Slosh a good glug of bleach down drains/overflows

Level 2

Flush loo and spray bowl with cream cleaner and SCRUB - under the rim, below the waterline and all over the bowl.
Flush loo again
Wipe seat, lid and outside of loo - including where you can't see...
Slop some bleach all over the inside of the loo
With a clean cloth wipe switches, pull cord, door handles and loo roll holder
Rinse loo brush and dry it outside in the sun

Level 3

Scrub the sink = don't forget the underneath the plug!
Bleach the drain
Wipe the pedestal/cupboard over
Polish and mirrors, glass and your heated towel rail
Clean the floor - vacuum or mop
Put out fresh towels

Extras

HHI
S&S kitchen
Cook a 'double' meal and freeze the spare ready for when you need/deserve a lazy evening
Book out some me time...or some couple time...or both
Go through your odd socks - if any of them have been there a l-o-n-g time bite the bullet and bin them!
If you're working your way through your kitchen cupboards (Natty asked us to clean one last week!)clean out another one!
Check those PE kits made it into the wash
Start name labelling any new uniform, including shoes (please!)

Wednesday - Living Room Loveliness

Level 1

Open the windows!
Empty any bins.
Sort through the magazine rack - and fling.
Give the cushions a good plumping.
Remove anything that doesn't live here.
With a damp cloth wipe remotes, light switches and the bit just above and below the door handles, where sticky fingers leave residues. And the handles too, of course

Level Two
Lift sofa cushions, swap around if you can and vacuum all those crevices
Dust everywhere - check for cobwebs!
Dust/vacuum light fittings - wash any glass shades

Level Three
Wipe/dust skirting boards
Move all the furniture you can and vacuum/sweep/mop under it

Chillies - - your home will be lovely if you help too!
Make your own bed.

Remove anything icky from your rooms and bin it.
Lift everything off the floor and vacuum it.
Put your clean clothes away tidily and your dirty clothes in the laundry.

Extras
Sort out your herbs and spices - fling OOD stuff!
Are all your gloves, hats and scarves washed?
S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom

Thursday Thrills-in-the-bedroom

Level 1 strip off

the bedsheets - and fling them in the washer
Open the window (if it's not actually raining) and leave the bed to air.
Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe
Do this as soon as you arise from your slumber and let the bed air.
Make the aired bed with clean linen

Level 2 - by the bed
clean and clear those bedside cabinets
move then (if you can) and vacuum under them
dust/polish/wipe as appropriate and put them back.
Dust anywhere else

Level 3 go the whole hog
dust everywhere else
polish mirrors
vacuum

Extras
bedside cabinet drawers - empty; discard all carp, put back only what you need there
HHI
Sweep the patio (especially if the bunny has been digging up moss and making it messy)
Freezer inventory? You will be stocking up for Christmas soon (or any other festival you celebrate) so what can be used up to free up some space? Meal plan to use stuff up

Friday Frenzy - pick a room - any room
Conservatory, dining room, kids room, spare room,...

Level 1
Open the windows
If there's a bed in here strip it and wash the bedding
If it's other soft furnishings vacuum
Throw out any obvious rubbish
Clear the floor

level 2
Wipe the windows/frames/sills
Remake the bed (if there is one)
plump cushions

Level 3
dust and vacuum

Extras
Buy fresh flowers and put them somewhere you will see them, often
Wipe and water houseplants
S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
MAD half hour
make sure you've got your preferred tipple chilling
Have a lovely weekend.
Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,706
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Flylady 2018 Challenges - GO FLYERS GO

SCRIMPERS (no spend AUGUST)

atypical blonde
    Lamewolf
    Pigpen
    Natty (was a naughty flylady..lol)
    Kazwookie
    Jazee
    Honey Bear
    Valli
    Fayolle
    Yorkshirelass
    Lynnejk
    Mumof2

SLINKIES - weight loss challenge

Lynnejk - 9lb
    Narcolepsy *some*
    Valli 2st/28lb
    Dizzy Imp 2st/28lb
    FurryBeastOz 2st/28lb
    nannygladys 3st/42lb
    Fayolle 2st/28lb
    atypicalblonde 2st/28lb
    Princess Money Penny
    Lil_me 5st/70lb
    JojotheTightfisted
    LameWolf 2st/28lb
    Roundtuit 56lb
    Jazee 2st/28lb
    Pigpen *some*
    MrsMoneypenny 1st at least
    Froddington 2st
    Dancemum 3st
    Mademoiselle about 2 st
    Ionafan 1st 11lb 9lb (hope that's right!) Excellent work
    donnajt 3 st
    Rosemary7391
    Mrs Chaos 16lb
    Faete 2st
    Natty 1st 7Ib {6lb lost}
    Kazwookie 2st tbc
    Honey Bear 5 kgs

Flymarketeers

FurryBeastOz
    Pigpen
    Valli
    Mumof2
    donnjt - £1k for hols

H2H (hovel to haven)

HoneyBear
    Froddington
    Roundtuit
    Mumof2
    FurryBeastOz
    funfairprincess
    Mrs Moneypenny
    hex2
    Fayolle
    lynnejk
    riotlady
    donnajt - by Summer
    Mrs Chaos
    Natty
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,917
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    ty.. I didn't see you wanted a volunteer but I'm not well so probably couldnt have remembered anyway.. have a lovely time at the wedding!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,888
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you. I'm in. Enjoy the wedding.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • In of sorts. Will be off to a festival where Himself is performing at the end of the week, so a bit limited in time, although he's out at rehearsal tomorrow, which will give me some peace.

Done very little, but have finally attacked the Cat Food Cupboard in the kitchen. Turns out it's cat food, hamster and aquarium requisites, gardening stuff, a couple of pan lids, two colanders and three boxes of tools/scrappy bits of nonsense.

Hoiked out the vaguely useful tools to go with the others in the cupboard under the stairs in a minute, chucked out just one long forgotten tin of splat food that had a dent, kept the two others that were fine, felt sad for the hamster and fishes, got over myself, cleaned the inside and reorganised so that all the current splat stuff fitted easily in the bottom as well.

Surprisingly, Himself took it upon himself to clean the kitchen - and seems to have done a reasonable job. Probably something to do with him being out tomorrow and knowing I'd only end up cleaning it again otherwise (and not being happy about it).

Need to stick the BM on overnight, but other than that, tomorrow will probably be a quick swipe of the bath and shower rooms and possibly a shower room floor scrub, depending on whether I get any sleep tonight.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hello! I'm in too.

Sorry, I missed the request for a stand-in list maker, but pretty sure I'd be carp at it.

Enjoy the wedding - see you all in the morning x
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 5 August 2018 at 11:30PM
    Oooh.

We're going to the Fireworks, then festival #1, then I'm working festival #2, then we're back down properly for a bit.

That's a lot of sorting and organising and Flying to do so we don't come back to a midden.

Hmm...[rubs chin]

Arrrgh. Much bristly decluttering is needed for that length of time!

[Adds 'getting backside down the salon' to the list]
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Night/morning/evening - small woke me up an hour ago and now I can't sleep, too hot!

I missed last week's adventures due to forgetting to subscribe (oops, sorry all)

We are home, briefly!
    Got back yesterday, all washing was done, pegged out and dried in the afternoon/evening thanks to the lovely weather.

Pretty much repacked to go away again tomorrow (today!) until Friday then I am home!

We ended up bringing lots of random left over food bits back from our three week lakes Work trip, so will need to do a bit of an inventory when I return.

I also need (on my return) to have a proper blitz and sort out of the baking stuff. I want to have a good Declutter of the kitchen and the various baking stuffs is a good place to start. Especially As we are coming up to bake off season. What I don't use this series of bake off is going out (with a group of friends we have a weekly 'bake along' lots of fun getting to try out new recipes and techniques)

The general house decluttering will continue although any hoped for house move is now delayed by at least a year as hubby may lose a big, annual contract as they are rendering again this year.

I hope everyone has a good week, I shall read along as usual and hopefully be back in full swing next week.

Wish
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,888
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Morning all.

Today I have to water garden, empty kitchen of appliances as new flooring is being laid tomorrow, go to dentist, do list, change sweaty bedding and walk dogs weather permitting. May also hoover through too.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Morning all! Been away for best part of a fortnight with my Mum and Dad in Truro which was a lovely break and then took Breggey to her first show yesterday which involved getting up at 3.55!! Was worth it though - got two thirds and she behaved beautifully.

I am in and going to do my best to keep up with working, looking after kids etc.
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Morning all

Thanks for the lists ladies I am in. I couldn't sleep last night so got up and wrote a list of what I need to do today, best get cracking whilst the kiddies are still asleep.

Will report back later with progress have lovely days everyone xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport