Ordered to old address by mistake, residents claim they haven't received anything

BenderUK
BenderUK Posts: 12 Forumite
edited 11 August 2018 at 6:29PM in Consumer rights
Hello everyone, I hope anyone could help me with what next steps I should take to reclaim the goods I ordered by mistake to my old address.
1) Ordered something on ebuyer (on old address) via tracked delivery(although that was not provided on their website so couldn't keep track of it) (also on ebay other stuff :/)
2) Once I saw the expected delivery is Friday I then found out that it went to old address
3) Went to the address and politely apologised for my mistake and asked if they could let me know once it arrives and refuse delivery, residents claim they will refuse the delivery (that was friday) but as it turns out, ukmail tracking shows it has already been delivered on Wednesday, the guy at the address kept saying "ordering to not your address is illegal" like a parrot
4) Contacted ebuyer, got provided with tracking details showing it has been delivered address that is 16 instead of 18 as my old address, contacted very nice old couple at 16 and they never received anything so I assume it was delivered to 18.
5)Went to 18 again, residents still claiming nothing has been received at that address AND the signature is apparently of someone that doesn't live there.

What can I do in this case? I read that if I haven't received it that technically it still belongs to the seller and they should contact people at this address to return it.

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Your old address would be your problem, but given it was meant for 18 and delivered to 16 then the seller has failed to deliver it as per the contract.
  • BenderUK
    Well, the seller addressed it to 18, it's only the delivery company that has it as if it was delivered to 16. Do you think in that case the seller could claim the money from the delivery company?
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    BenderUK wrote: »
    Well, the seller addressed it to 18, it's only the delivery company that has it as if it was delivered to 16. Do you think in that case the seller could claim the money from the delivery company?

Well they haven't done what the seller has paid them to do. If you still lived at 18 and hadn't recieved the goods you'd have grounds for a refund or replacement.
  • BenderUK
    I am planning to contact the seller on Monday, do you think I should contact in any way the dishonest residents at the house ?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    do you think I should contact in any way the dishonest residents at the house ?
    You mean the old couple at 16 as that is where the courier said they delivered it to.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am planning to contact the seller on Monday, do you think I should contact in any way the dishonest residents at the house ?

You have no proof that they've been dishonest. Parcel addressed to #18 and (allegedly) delivered to #16 - you currently have no conclusive proof as to who has the parcel.
  • BenderUK
    The thing is, the GPS picture from the delivery company showing Google maps shows that was delivered to #18, house 16 is quite far actually. The dishonest people are the ones from #18, I really doubt an old couple would keep a gaming chair :D People at 18 were defensive straight away as if they knew what is going on, especially considering that I mistakenly ordered on eBay to the same address.
  • BenderUK
    I think I have no reason to doubt old person as they wouldn't have much use for a gaming chair. People at #18 thought were very shady from beginning
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Stick to facts.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    In fairness to the !!!8220;shady!!!8221; people you refer to, it looks pretty !!!8220;shady!!!8221; that someone is claiming to have had an expensive item delivered to an incorrect address by accident. They are perhaps suspicious of you. Put yourself in their shoes: Would you want to get involved in it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure