Free microsoft office

I've just bought a new PC with windows 10 installed. My old PC (Windows XP) had a free version of Microsoft Office 10 which works fine. I've tried to get a download for this computer but it won't install. Techie Guys advised me on how to get Office 10 a few years ago, is anyone able to help this time?
Trying to learn something new every day.

;)

Comments

• dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    you can get a legit copy of office 2016 from ebay for ~ £5
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    you can get a legit copy of office 2016 from ebay for ~ £5

But do mote that is "legit" not legit. These are keys that are not for resale being sold. Or worse. So no comeback if they stop working. Still two months and you are up on the deal I guess.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 August 2018 at 6:36PM
    bought over a "year" ago with no problems. easy to install from link to microsoft and validation key sent within minutes. no brainer imo. its a fiver and refundable if unhappy. what is there to be negative about?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Oldbiggles wrote: »
    I've just bought a new PC with windows 10 installed. My old PC (Windows XP) had a free version of Microsoft Office 10 which works fine. I've tried to get a download for this computer but it won't install. Techie Guys advised me on how to get Office 10 a few years ago, is anyone able to help this time?

Do you mean MS Office 2010?

Does the old PC still work?
    Install https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ to find the 'product key' for Office.

Use CCleaner https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner to uninstall all current Office products from new PC

Download and install Office 2010 and enter key when asked.
  • Oldbiggles
    Oldbiggles Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 6:44PM
    more info
    J_B wrote: »
    Do you mean MS Office 2010?

Does the old PC still work?
    Install https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ to find the 'product key' for Office.

Use CCleaner https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner to uninstall all current Office products from new PC

Download and install Office 2010 and enter key when asked.
    Yes the old PC still works and I have already uninstalled the trial offer of Office from the new PC. When I tried to down load Office 10 to this PC. it failed with the claim that it was not compatible.
    Trying to learn something new every day.

;)
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Office 2010 shows as version 14, if you look at Program Files (x86). Version 10 was probably Microsoft Office XP. Could you be more explicit about what you are talking, please? "Trial Offer" sounds like Office 365.

I installed Office 2010 on this 'new' second-hand PC a couple of days ago, without problems.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    By free I assume they mean Office 2010 Starter which does not work on W10. Google throws up some hacks to make it work but I gave up after trying a few.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Does your employer participate in Microsoft's HUP programme?

If so you might qualify for for Microsoft Office at £9.95 if you don't feel comfortable purchasing a key from the likes of Amazon, eBay etc.

Plus there are free versions of office software out there (such as LibreOffice) which should be compatible with Microsoft file extensions.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    20aday wrote: »

Plus there are free versions of office software out there (such as LibreOffice) which should be compatible with Microsoft file extensions.

For very basic requirement maybe!

Fine if you are simply creating your own documents from scratch but you can run into real problems interacting with users of the "real thing" or using templates etc that others have produced.

If that is seldom or never an issue then fine you can save a few pounds. You can also use the free online version of Office 365 if something doesn't work properly in Libra etc.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    I have already uninstalled the trial offer of Office from the new PC.
    How did you do this?

When I tried to down load Office 10 to this PC. it failed with the claim that it was not compatible.

We shall have to assume that it's MS Office 2010 that you are referring to as you haven't confirmed that - was yours a particular version?

Who/what said it wasn't compatible?
    What was the message from where?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family