Faulty appliance causing huge electric bills?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    nvas7407 - your problem is not what you are being charged for your electricity but how you use it.

Putting your 6200 units through the CSE you are paying £861 a year - there are cheaper deals out there but not many.

If you can prune your consumption by only 1000 units you will save far more - £150.. Just spend less time in the showe and switch those lights off.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • nvas7407
    nvas7407 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Robin9 wrote: »
    I am confused as to where you recent bill of £142 comes from. From the readings you have given the total cost is about £270. So in April, May, June and (perhaps) August you have been paying something towards this - £270 less £142 is £128 which with 3 DD's is £43 a month (with 4 its £32).

Is this the case and if so where did the DD figure come from ?
    Hi

Thanks so much for helping. I appreciate your patience with my silly questions. My DD amount is 95 every month. I just checked online. However, based on my actual they are suggesting my DD payment to be increased to 138 per month..
  • Robin9
    edited 8 August 2018 at 5:35PM
    nvas7407 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks so much for helping. I appreciate your patience with my silly questions. My DD amount is 95 every month. I just checked online. However, based on my actual they are suggesting my DD payment to be increased to 138 per month..

I assume this a combined gas and electric DD ? Does the revised DD get split gas/electric ?

I think you are learning the hard way in your first home that energy is expensive.
    I see the electric meter has been read - has the gas also been read ?
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Boxman wrote: »
    Purely out of curiosity can you quantify that?

I don't have a card meter, you're welcome to check it for yourself if you have one.
  • nvas7407
    I assume this a combined gas and electric DD ? Does the revised DD get split gas/electric ?

I think you are learning the hard way in your first home that energy is expensive.
    I see the electric meter has been read - has the gas also been read ?
    :) Learning the hard way..

Looking at the bill they have estimated gas readings and it says its around 20 quid. I don't know why the meter reading guy didn't ask me for gas reading when he came round. Since the gas meter is somewhere outside the property, i assumed it took it and so i gave him the electric. But the bill shows only estimates for gas and no actual readings. I am going to have to find where the gas meter is and take a reading to ensure there are no surprises there. But the DD of 95 is for gas and electric together. And this is what bulb want me to increase owing to my usage.
  • Dangle
    Dangle Posts: 30 Forumite
    Houbara wrote: »
    Don t forget to factor in the overall costs of purchase of a dishwasher. The expensive ones like Miele , AEG etc cost an arm and a leg and Whirlpool and the like will break down the minute the guarantee ends. £100 a year is about right I reckon.
    My friends broke down this year and flooded the kitchen ruining their expensive new floor and has been nothing but trouble. Which magazine have a survey showing the worst and most unreliable machines in the UK, the best ones like Miele were £800, the £300 machines will definitely break down and pack in for good when its motherboard decides to end its life . Just like cheap washing machines they are built to last a set number of hours.
    Last time I used one it took longer to load it than get the few dishes washed up in a minute or two.., for singles and couples they are just something else waiting to come out and bite you with an unexpected big bill. . Depends how slow, lazy and ponderous you are at getting a few dishes rinsed off. Probably useful for families

We bought our first dishwasher in the eighties and are on our second now. The first was still working when we got rid of it after 20 years, the second is about 20 years old now and there's a bit of rust in the top basket but is otherwise ok.

Both were manufactured by Bosch and cost £300 - 350, that's under £20 a year for the appliance, electric costs aren't that much, they use less water than hand washing, usually do a better job of cleaning and I spend less than 10p per tablet and not much on salt and rinse aid, and put it on ever other day for a family of four.
  • nvas7407
    Dangle wrote: »
    We bought our first dishwasher in the eighties and are on our second now. The first was still working when we got rid of it after 20 years, the second is about 20 years old now and there's a bit of rust in the top basket but is otherwise ok.

Both were manufactured by Bosch and cost £300 - 350, that's under £20 a year for the appliance, electric costs aren't that much, they use less water than hand washing, usually do a better job of cleaning and I spend less than 10p per tablet and not much on salt and rinse aid, and put it on ever other day for a family of four.
    I have been toying with the idea of using vinegar for rinse aid and making eco friendly tablets if possible.. :)
    I use white vinegar as softener in my washing machine already..
  • Robin9
    I don't use dishwasher tablets at all. Hot water does the trick.
  • Robin9
    nvas7407 can I go right back to when you moved in and made contact with Bulb - how was the DD established ? Did someone say that the previous occupiers used £90 a month and the DD was set on that basis? If so I think you are proving the point that people have different lifestyles and standards of comfort and with this goes different costs.
  • nvas7407
    I don't use dishwasher tablets at all. Hot water does the trick.
    wow! really? i usually wash on eco settings most times which is 45 degrees i believe.. will it still wash properly?

*i shall test this.. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport