Bitten by dog - need advice please!

Hello,

I've been dog walking/boarding for about 7 years now. Over these years I've looked after dogs (and other animals) of all breeds and sizes and never had any problems whatsoever. As a massive animal lover this started off as a bit of a hobby for me, and developed into my full-time job. It's something I've always loved doing and done with passion.

Yesterday, an incident occurred. I'd accepted a booking to look after a dog for two days. When the dog came to my house for the customary meet and greet, he lunged at my face completely out of the blue. I have a gash on the side of my face and a cut right down my chin - blood was dripping out of my face in both areas. My left hand was also bleeding. I was driven by the dog's owner - who was also in a state of shock - to the nearest walk-in centre where I was treated and dressed up by a nurse. My blood was taken to determine whether or not I needed a tetanus shot, and I was told I was already protected and did not need one.

The dog in question is a one-and-a-half-year-old rottweiler. I was assured by the owner that this dog was "great with people" and while he is not good with other dogs, he was to be muzzled around other dogs on walks at all times. This was fine with me because as I said, I am used to handling big dogs and have done so without issue for over 7 years. As long as the dog was good with humans, I am perfectly capable of handling it in my environment and out and about.

When the dog arrived at my house, the owner walked him through to my living room. I allowed the dog to explore the house on his terms while I chatted over some details with the owner. When the dog eventually came over to me, he had a little sniff around me and then walked off sniffing the house again. A minute or so later, he came back up to me - he looked absolutely at ease and was even wagging his tail (which even the owner commented on as he was driving me to the walk-in centre). There were no warning signs at all that this dog was about to attack me. But then he did. He just lunged at me and I was truly shocked by what happened. At first, I did not realise that he had bitten me - I felt nothing at all. The owner quickly got hold of the dog and took him back outside into his car. When he returned he asked me if I was alright and I said yes. It was only when he told me I was bleeding I started to realise what had happened. I then got some kitchen roll and saw quite a bit of blood coming out of my face.

The owner seemed genuinely shocked and remorseful. He reiterated to me that never has he behaved like this with any human before, and apologised to the point of repetition. He told me that whatever I decide to do, he will comply fully and accept full responsibility. Yesterday, I was pretty much in a state of shock and barely spoke much. Today I am starting to process the incident a bit more clearly. By the way, this booking was done through a well-known dog service website and all details and information are fully accessible.

The nurse who treated me told me I was quite lucky in that it could have been so much worse - I was almost certain I was going to need stitches in at least one of the two areas, but she told me they should heal on their own and just not to shave for a couple of weeks. I started to feel a bit better as time went on but today I am starting to feel the anger I probably should have felt yesterday were it not for the shock I was experiencing.

I am still really not sure what I should do about this, what I can do. Any advice would be really helpful.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There was a dog in my local park who would seem to be perfectly ok but suddenly turn and attack other dogs or people. Not as big as a Rottweiler but just as scary.

The owner was taken to court and told to keep the dog muzzled. (Actually she didn’t but most of us dog walkers knew to keep away. After being nipped once, my dog actually turned and walked the other way whenever he spotted her.)

Sounds like this dog should always be muzzled. And much as I love dogs, i think this is one for a report to the police. What if it is a child or a more serious attack next time?
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What do you want to do?

What do you think should happen
  • Mansard wrote: »

The owner seemed genuinely shocked and remorseful. He reiterated to me that never has he behaved like this with any human before, and apologised to the point of repetition. He told me that whatever I decide to do, he will comply fully and accept full responsibility. Yesterday, I was pretty much in a state of shock and barely spoke much. Today I am starting to process the incident a bit more clearly. By the way, this booking was done through a well-known dog service website and all details and information are fully accessible.

The nurse who treated me told me I was quite lucky in that it could have been so much worse - I was almost certain I was going to need stitches in at least one of the two areas, but she told me they should heal on their own and just not to shave for a couple of weeks. I started to feel a bit better as time went on but today I am starting to feel the anger I probably should have felt yesterday were it not for the shock I was experiencing.

I am still really not sure what I should do about this, what I can do. Any advice would be really helpful.

Thank you for reading.

That may of course be true but I wonder how often that line is trotted out in similar circumstances up and down the country? You have no means of knowing if it is true in this case.

Personally I feel you should pursue a claim against the dog owner, after all if he is a responsible owner he will have insurance...

As others have said I think you should also go to the police.
  • bouicca21 wrote: »
    There was a dog in my local park who would seem to be perfectly ok but suddenly turn and attack other dogs or people. Not as big as a Rottweiler but just as scary.

The owner was taken to court and told to keep the dog muzzled. (Actually she didn’t but most of us dog walkers knew to keep away. After being nipped once, my dog actually turned and walked the other way whenever he spotted her.)

Sounds like this dog should always be muzzled. And much as I love dogs, i think this is one for a report to the police. What if it is a child or a more serious attack next time?

Did you not report that she had ignored a court order? She could potentially go to prison for that.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    What to you want to happen?

1. Don't board this dog.
    2. Do you want money for the wound / scarring you are likely to get?
    3. Do you want something in writing by way of an apology from the owner.?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 September 2019 at 4:52PM
    I may be biased as a relative was bitten by a neighbour's rottie completely out of the blue - one she'd known for years and she was with the owner when it happened. She was a child at the time and left permanently scarred. So it can happen without any previous warnings.
    I would be wanting to ensure that the owner has ruled out any physical triggers, and was taking steps to ensure it never happens again - dog muzzled around people, for example. Whether you want to do any more than that is up to you, but this would fall under the scope of the Dangerous Dogs Act. I don't think the owner should be putting the onus on you, they should be taking responsibility themselves for what happens next a thorough vet check at the very least.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It sounds to me as if you will make a full recovery so compensation is not a issue.

However that dog sounds extremely dangerous and it could easily happen again. Maybe next time a child could be killed or have permanent injuries.

Report this to the police. If they take no action, then at least you know that you have done all you can. If the dog attacks a second time, then it will probably be destroyed and no more people will be hurt. If people don't report it, then it can continue to attack until someone is killed or seriously injured.

Do not agree to walk this dog - if it attacks again while you are looking after it, you could be held responsible as you already know what it is capable of doing.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Did you not report that she had ignored a court order? She could potentially go to prison for that.

The police weren’t really interested. Partly, I think, because of another incident. A set of grandparents with small child encouraged said child to pet (and annoy) a dog despite being asked to leave it alone. Before the owner could remove the dog from small child, it jumped up and frightened her. Grandparents reported the large vicious dog to the police.

When the police visited they got the owner’s side of the story and were introduced to the big vicious dog - a tiny puppy.
  • Sorry for not updating until now - I've just moved house and literally haven't had time to do much else. Thankfully, the cuts to my face have almost fully healed and I am extremely fortunate that there is going to be no permanent marks to my face. It looked a lot worse when it first happened and obviously just the fact that it was a rottweiler bite made me fear the worst.

I told the dog's owner that I am going to leave it in his hands. It is his responsibility to deal with. I am OK, and I don't need any hassle as I'm busy enough as it is.

I am currently looking after a Rhodesian Ridgeback - she is lovely and a pleasure to have in my house!

Thank you for the replies, everyone.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bit late in the debate i know, but this is worrying.

Unless the dog had some sort of brain tumor or existing behaviour issues, there are always triggers. Sometimes those triggers will be so subtle we genuinely don't see them.

I'm not convinced the owner has never seen these triggers & have a feeling that although you were injured quite badly, this wont have been the first 'lunge' incident. Sometimes owners are in denial of what is really going on with their dogs behaviour. We've all met owners of toy dogs who will giggle at aggression and atrocious behaviour shown by their dogs and find it cute.

Hopefully the owner will wise up & accept that now this dog has had a successful bite and it now knows what it can do, he can never take risks even if the dog 'seems' ok in certain situations.

I would see this as an at risk dog. At risk from itself that it could end up being put to sleep if it's owner is not prepared to up his game in his handling of it. I'm willing to bet if he was really totally honest with himself, this won't have been the first time something has happened.

I've owned Rottweiler's over 20 years. I have one by my feet right now farting like a sailor. Yes I've been bitten by my own dogs in the past. Yes I've had seemingly unexplained 'lunge' incidents in the past, but the triggers (albeit subtle) were there and i have learned from the individual character of each of those dogs which situations it can and cannot cope with being placed in & where the triggers are.

I know where my dogs triggers are and manage his exposure to those situations to the millimetre. i never drop my guard for a second & that's tiring in itself but it means i know my dog is safe from getting himself in trouble because i as an owner don't let my guard down just for a second.

It took my current dog months to accept my partner & it caused massive tension in our relationship. Now it is more like he is my partners dog than mine & he can do absolutely anything with him.

I'm so sorry you've been through this. I'm sorry for the dog as i have seen this all too often & I'm praying for the dogs sake the owner will learn from this and make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

Its tough & even more tough when the dog is a Rottweiler because society will not tolerate such a powerful dog capable of such horrific injury making mistakes.

This is much more an owner issue to me. I truly hope the owner is committed enough to see this through. It doesn't have to mean the worst for the dog. This should be a wake up call to an owner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure