Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 2:19 PM
    • 8,908Posts
    • 45,897Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 2:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 2:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
Page 5
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Feb 14, 10:44 PM
    • 8,908 Posts
    • 45,897 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    So much for lounging round - went to cafe for tea and cake then painted the attic

really pleased with it (although not yet seen it in daylight and it'll need a second coat...).

Not much to declare today:

5 tea and cake (but doesn't really count cos out of treats budget )
    8 food (but doesn't count cos comes from food budget )
    6 paintbrush and box of screws (for making garden planters - must remember to measure up for wood tomorrow!

Been doing more looking at cars - some of the ones we're looking at will apparently save us over 1000 a year in diesel and tax costs, our current one is so inefficient!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Feb 14, 7:08 AM
    • 8,908 Posts
    • 45,897 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oops, lying in bed this morning I realised I'd forgotten

4 gardening magazine (which I really must subscribe to - 3 issues for 3!)
    3.50 two birthday cards

I'm not very good at this

Nothing much spendy planned for today - community garden this morning (wet, but free), possibly a trip to the tip (if the car gets that far, but if it doesn't the scrap men will have to deal with the garden waste ) and meeting tonight (small donation)

Don't think there's much spendy planned for the rest of the week either:

Monday: work - train (20), buses (3), slimming world (class paid for, probably 4 in cereal bars and raffle)
    Tuesday: work - possibly at home but if not train and bus (23), then meeting in evening (2 ish donation)
    Wed: work at home, nothing planned for evening, possible NSD?!
    Thursday: Fieldwork - travel paid for, will take lunch, possible taxi on expenses - another NSD?? (depends whether I indulge in an extra cuppa on the train)
    Friday: off work, meeting in evening, but otherwise no plans
    Saturday: no plans - possible family visit (36 train)
    Sunday: community garden in morning

Crikey, don't often get a full weekend with not much planned! Might even get a couple of NSDs in!
    • DedicatedDFW
    • By DedicatedDFW 9th Feb 14, 9:22 AM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    DedicatedDFW
    Hi Cheery

Sounds like a very productive day / weekend Are you sharing pics of the attic when its finished ?

Are you part of a few groups? As i see you go to the community garden But you also mention meetings in the evening too

I am trying to plan what to do if i complete my degree this year - i wonder what i'll do with all that time seeing as i will have decluttered to the nth degree by then too So even more time available. I have planned to be more committed to running - when i have an assignement due - which just seems to be all the time now, i can't justify any chunk of time off - i break the day up with little house jobs. I am thinking i want to do an MA again *if* i get my degree and *if* i get a good enough grade but i don't think i can afford it. Best just deal with the module i'm doing now first eh?

Hope you have a good day
    CC1:T 2531 1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: 10575.20 Target 12,100
    MF Date: August 2042 May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Feb 14, 8:36 PM
    • 8,908 Posts
    • 45,897 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    One thing at a time indeed, you never quite know what's around the corner!

Meetings are mostly Al Anon - kind of like AA but for relatives and friends of problem drinkers (ex mr cheery had a chronic alcohol problem and died of heart failurr at 31). Been going for about 9 years now, given me a lot of sanity! I go once a week myself but have also started helping out with the teenage version, but that's on a rota so just a couple of evenings every few weeks

popped over tonight but only gave very small donation as that's all i had without breaking into tomorrow's bus fare so todays spends literally about 17p

got two pieces of carrot cake though

back at work tomorrow, should just be travel and whatever at slimming world.

And then i'll have to put the attic back together before working at home on tuesday

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Feb 14, 6:53 PM
    • 8,908 Posts
    • 45,897 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    today's spends:

20.40 train to work
    3 buses at my end
    3.10 tea and cake (met a friend from work who's on maternity leave at the station with her teeny tiny 2 week old baby )

will go to slimming world tomorrow morning so should be no more spends for today now
    • DedicatedDFW
    • By DedicatedDFW 11th Feb 14, 9:05 AM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    DedicatedDFW
    Hi Cheery,

Thank you for sharing re. your al anon group, i am sorry to hear about ex Mr Cheery x

How does the attic look now? Did you get it all back together again ?
    CC1:T 2531 1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: 10575.20 Target 12,100
    MF Date: August 2042 May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Feb 14, 9:16 AM
    • 32,426 Posts
    • 191,690 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Tea and cake with a new baby to admire thats a good day

Good luck at Slimming World!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Feb 14, 9:48 AM
    • 8,908 Posts
    • 45,897 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Stayed the same - I'd say 'sadly' but quite frankly I deserved to put on several lbs this week and the only reason I haven't is probably because I also ran 17 miles

Ah well

Popped to shops too

10 co-op (milk, fruit, yogurt, sugar, and some BOGOF pretzels for Mr Cheery) - will recoup from food budget
    5.45 cereal bars

Working at home today although I confess it's going to be an 11-7 job today since I haven't even got started yet...

And, er, no, I haven't put the attic back together Heading up there in a second, will clear enough space round the desk to sit down, then I'll have to do 25 mins work, 5 mins sorting throughout the day - hopefully it'll be back to normal by the end!

Other money related things to do today...

* try to ring council tax again to change bank account

Actually, I'm not even going to put anything else on there - that one will undoubtedly annoy me so much, and I shall be SO pleased when it's done, that it's probably enough!

Have a good one all...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Feb 14, 1:11 PM
    • 8,908 Posts
    • 45,897 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right - I am on the telephone to the council tax people trying to change the bank account, and I will NOT get off the phone until I've done it!

mind you, I'm anticipating that they may well not talk to me because mine isn't the name on the account, even though I'm obviously on the electoral register here, and am on the joint account it'll be paid from. If that happens, well, I suspect they'll talk to me pretty sharpish when I close the bank account it currently comes out of

6 minutes on hold and counting...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Feb 14, 1:22 PM
    • 8,908 Posts
    • 45,897 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ok - 15 minutes on hold and as suspected, they can't discuss with me because my name isn't on the account.

However, what they can do is ADD my name to the account, then I can call back tomorrow and they WILL be able to discuss it with me

Not entirely sure what that level of security has achieved, other than !!!!ing me off slightly!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Feb 14, 8:34 PM
    • 32,426 Posts
    • 191,690 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thats a weird level of security - we can't because your name isn't on the list, but we'll put it on the list right now, and then we can talk to you tomorrow! Very chic, very Catch 22!
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Feb 14, 10:08 PM
    • 8,908 Posts
    • 45,897 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I thought it was very odd! But Mr Cheery pointed out that it's one thing to ring to discuss account when you could be anyone, and quite another to commit to having your name associated with (and responsible for) the council tax. I suppose he's right... but it was still a bit annoying just another 1.50 meeting donation to declare today
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Feb 14, 10:11 PM
    • 8,908 Posts
    • 45,897 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    oops, formatting went all funny there, was trying to add to the end but it just kept saying todayayayayayayay

anyway, was going to say don't tell anyone, but i might attempt a NSD tomorrow... Don't *need* to go anywhere, working at home, mr cheery will do food shopping, no evening plans. Might pop to the gym but that's already paid for so doesn't count.

That would bring feb NSD total to, er, one...
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Feb 14, 1:14 PM
    • 9,515 Posts
    • 49,001 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    How's your non-spending going?!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Piquant
    • By Piquant 12th Feb 14, 1:16 PM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    Piquant
    Aha! This is where you're hiding out! Found you and subscribed. I shall be an out in the open stalker

So how's the first NSD going?
    Total debt at October 2008: 67,213.30
    Total debt today: 0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save 12K in 2014 - 6,521.90/6K member 138

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Feb 14, 1:41 PM
    • 8,908 Posts
    • 45,897 Thanks
    Cheery Daff

I forgot it was meant to be an NSD However I have not been out of the door so haven't spent anything anyway Will pop to the gym later but already paid so won't cost anything, and I don't pass a shop on the way there...

... gosh, I might actually make it!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Feb 14, 2:15 PM
    • 9,515 Posts
    • 49,001 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Go Cheery! Go Cheery!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Feb 14, 2:42 PM
    • 32,426 Posts
    • 191,690 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Those are the best NSDs, when they happen by accident - good luck!
    Retired August 2016
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 12th Feb 14, 4:18 PM
    • 15,032 Posts
    • 99,335 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking

I forgot it was meant to be an NSD However I have not been out of the door so haven't spent anything anyway Will pop to the gym later but already paid so won't cost anything, and I don't pass a shop on the way there...

... gosh, I might actually make it!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    You honestly crack me up.

That's a good thing

Remember NOT to pass the shop on the way home either.

Waves to PIQ too - how lovely to have lots of smiley faces on here and waves to the other smiley faces too
    Total debt 26/4/18 <1925 we were getting there.
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 7867.38
    minus 112.06 = 7755.32
    Sleeves up folks.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Feb 14, 10:01 PM
    • 8,908 Posts
    • 45,897 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I made it!!

Well, i know there's technically an hour left but i am tucked up in bed under two duvets and NOTHING is going to get me out

I did indeed pop to the gym, a short run and a bit of a swim, but i don't go past shops in either direction and it was SO vile out there i wasn't going on a detour, even for treats!

Not sure how tomorrow will go... on fieldwork so train paid for

potential spends:
    1.50 bus to station
    1.40 emergency cuppa
    8taxi home
    1.40 er, another emergency cuppa...
    all of which i can probably claim back on expenses
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,551Posts Today

7,197Users online

Martin's Twitter