Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 2:19 PM
    • 8,898Posts
    • 45,851Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 2:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 2:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
Page 4
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Feb 14, 2:05 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 45,851 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I actually didn't think of it like that EH! But you're right of course, we've obviously not used as much as they're charging us for.

KC, I'd not heard of flexible direct debit either!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Feb 14, 4:49 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 45,851 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ha, meant to say at you losing your Christmas pud down the back of the cupboard KC A great way to save it!

More spending declarations today - I told you I was no good at NSDs!

First up I was early this morning so popped to the 99p shop - always fatal...

4.95 (a million (well, 60) hair bobbles, hair clip, gel pens, batteries, and one of those giant fleecy mittens with an ice scraper on it )

1.25 small chocolatey treat for us and some entirely unnecessary chocolates to take with me tomorrow (if they last that long)

Had a very shameful moment when the ice scraper was confiscated by security Never occurred to me it could be used as a weapon!! But apparently 'you could put it on and inflict a nasty slash down someone's face with that, love'

Got it back now fortunately Just need a car to go with it...

In other news - I've been saving 2 coins and last year I opened a credit union savings account to keep them separate from other money Saved 400 last year, half went to charity, and a couple of weeks ago I spent 150 on a fancy pants GPS running watch thing FINALLY got round to transferring the money from the credit union to bank so I think I might add 100 of it to the long term savings fund since I'd forgotten about it and budgeted the month with out it

(sadly the other 50 never actually made it into the credit union in the first place so I've already spent that )

50 left in credit union, and I'll be adding to it all year too whenever my 2 coin stash gets to 100
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Feb 14, 8:31 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 45,851 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Didn't think I would spend any more today but remembered I meant to enter the Liverpool half marathon and if you do it before Friday you get your name printed on your race number

34.50 for the privilege of running round Liverpool in circles Oh, and a medal and a technical running t shirt too of course But even so -

Got to get over there too (not til the end of March) but at least once I'm there I can stay with family.

I was going to enter the triathlon I'm planning for May too, but I couldn't bring myself to pay 51 for that right now on top of the half marathon... It had best be a bloody good medal for that!!
    • lionheartedgirl
    • By lionheartedgirl 6th Feb 14, 7:05 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,266 Thanks
    lionheartedgirl
    Just a quick one to say entry fees are horrendous aren't they, it's all becoming very popular now and prices are going up and up

Last year I made a decision to stay away from big sponsored events and keep to little ones where the money went straight to a charity or a community, the fees are lower and the experience is often more fun. Hill racing (fell racing doon sooth!) in Scotland is often only a couple of quid to enter and you get a bowl of soup after - haven't done any yet but definitely on the list for this year.

Not sure what your September plans are but if you fancy a fabulous race in utterly jaw dropping scenery, with a tiny entry fee that goes straight to the community and everyone turns out to help, check out the Applecross duathlon. I did it last year, 6 to enter which you more than get back in tea and cake after. Entries open on june 1st I think, it's always massively oversubscribed so be quick (on the entry front anyway, you can be slow on the day!). And you get piped over the finishing line

Best of luck with your training! Which watch did you get as I'm thinking about getting one too
    Never sit in the comfy chair - Jake Humphrey
    • Tescodealqueen
    • By Tescodealqueen 6th Feb 14, 7:49 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 4,045 Thanks
    Tescodealqueen
    Hey Cheery found your new thread by accident, was following your blog then the laptop broke and could not find it again, teas saved in my favourites ( think I sound like a stalker now)
    Glad you are still loving your job and loving your ramblings, pleased to hear they still involve cake
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Feb 14, 8:27 AM
    • 32,404 Posts
    • 191,546 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'd no idea that the fees were so high! Sad to see that its happening more and more.

But hilarious to find your ice scraper confiscated as a weapon, sorry
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • Bad Weather
    • By Bad Weather 6th Feb 14, 9:04 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Bad Weather
    Just a quick one to say entry fees are horrendous aren't they, it's all becoming very popular now and prices are going up and up

Last year I made a decision to stay away from big sponsored events and keep to little ones where the money went straight to a charity or a community, the fees are lower and the experience is often more fun. Hill racing (fell racing doon sooth!) in Scotland is often only a couple of quid to enter and you get a bowl of soup after - haven't done any yet but definitely on the list for this year.

Not sure what your September plans are but if you fancy a fabulous race in utterly jaw dropping scenery, with a tiny entry fee that goes straight to the community and everyone turns out to help, check out the Applecross duathlon. I did it last year, 6 to enter which you more than get back in tea and cake after. Entries open on june 1st I think, it's always massively oversubscribed so be quick (on the entry front anyway, you can be slow on the day!). And you get piped over the finishing line

Best of luck with your training! Which watch did you get as I'm thinking about getting one too
    Originally posted by lionheartedgirl
    I am scottish and also made the decision to stay away from the big ones. I've been running forever so don't do it for charity (I give alot to charity just dont run races as its not a challenge). But I DO think they big races are great for fundraising.

There are so many races that are free or small fees - Parkrun for a start is free 5k every saturday. You get a time and I think even the frist 3 get prizes - for a FREE race! It is brilliant.

I went to applecross last year - was a trek and a half from Glasgow and that road to it is SCARY (it was misty and raining when i went) but the duathlon sounds FAB! Do a lot of people camp? As there is not much accomodation in that region? x
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Feb 14, 1:02 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 45,851 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, exciting things!

KC, Bigger races are indeed expensive... I'm doing both of these with someone else though so it's all arranged this time And while I'm so slow I feel safer in a large group (and I do like to get a medal!) I don't do tooooo many so don't mind tooooo much. It's partly because you get a lot of support and goodies (drinks stations, medals, t shirts etc), and also because they close the roads to the public for several hours, which is expensive. Triathlons they obviously need to pay for the pool etc too, which costs even more!

Hi lionheartedgirl Applecross sounds fun (especially if the two are running and biking - I never was a fan of the swimming! ) Will investigate. Although my marathon is first week of October so don't want to hamper that too much!

bad weather I do do my local parkrun most weekends, very jolly indeed (although the first three don't get a prize, they get a larger number of points, and I think at the end of the year the people with the most points get prizes - just as likely to be the slower ones who go every week as the fast ones who only go once or twice!). I love the parkruns

TDQ, lovely to see you! Have you found my blog again now? (can't remember if it's in my profile on here, must check!)

More spends to declare today (although at least none of them got confiscated...)

2 bin bags
    97p new washing up bowl

Also I'm just at the end of 2 weeks of jury service, and they give you a 5.71 allowance for the canteen each day. Whatever you don't spend, you get back at the end, so I've taken leftovers with me every day and built up a profit of 34.93 which will be spent on a couple of nice lunches or evenings out

Will have to pop out again for milk later (and feeling a need to have a few hyacinths on the windowsill) - one day I'll actually get organised!!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Feb 14, 4:59 PM
    • 32,404 Posts
    • 191,546 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow, what was jury service like? The only time I was ever picked, it was at the last town I lived in, but I'd moved here the previous month, it was weird - I told them my new address, and they said I was now ineligible, fair enough, different county and all that. Didn't know that about the buildup of lunch money, thats quite something, especially for an mse-er
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Feb 14, 7:13 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 45,851 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    It was sometimes fascinating, and sometimes dull, and occasionally quite distressing, so a mix! LOTS of sitting around waiting to be called, and occasionally being sent home all together quite early on. Really interesting to get a vague idea of how the courts work. I hadn't realise how many people wait til they get all the way to court, THEN decide to plead guilty (meaning they no longer need a jury) - happened at least 6 times at least in the fortnight I was there.

I had 3 cases - first one very distressing all round, and even more so when it was called off after the defendent attempted (and very nearly succeeded) suicide on the first night Quite awful. Second one someone said something they shouldn't in the courtroom (not us!) and they had to start all over again with another jury. Third one actually got all the way to the end, so we had to be shut in a deliberation room and everything.

Judges were lovely, really nice, recognising that none of us knew what was going on, and taking time to explain everything - 'the prosecution counsel is objecting here, and he is right to because...' etc. Really helpful. Court staff were all lovely and we were really well looked after.

Some bits are like you see on the tv - prosecution saying 'I put it to you that you saw this!' and witness saying 'no I didn't!' Other bits very much not so.

I didn't know about the lunch money either til I started They encourage you to spend it in their canteen, of course, but on the first day my baked potato was only half cooked, and the other options seemed to be mostly cheese toasties, cheese sandwiches and cheese paninis (spot the theme?), or chips, so I took my own lunch - only sensible thing to do!

Nothing else to declare today - popped out for milk but Mr Cheery paid for that from the food budget Just made myself a really not-very-interesting tea so might have to either start again or resort to porridge
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Feb 14, 11:07 PM
    • 32,404 Posts
    • 191,546 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks Cheery! They put you through a lot, didn't they ... heavens. The judge sounds lovely. A friend of mine who lives in London is a magistrate, and you couldn't imagine anyone less likely; the more humane and empathic the legal bods are that are in the system, the better things will be all round, I reckon.

Hope you found some lovely yummy food somewhere

Or did you need protein? I'm rubbish at finding my own smileys, sorry - sleep well tho
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Feb 14, 10:51 AM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 45,851 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Not entirely sure what I ate in the end KC, picked all evening and eventually fell asleep in front of the tv

Off today

Just rang water company to change direct debit to joint account - thought I'd already changed names on it, but it appears to still be in the name of Mr Cheery's ex-ex girlfriend he bought the house with (and who, er, moved out in 1992...)

Still, all sorted now and I learned something - didn't realise we only pay water bills for 8 months of the year (the only reason he could give was 'we've always done it like that'...). Which means Dec, Jan, Feb, March, no water bill goes out of the bank account I'd budgeted for 50.50 every month - so Feb and March that 50.50 can go into the long term savings (December and Jan already eaten up for this year sadly!)

So 100.10 saved (kind of) this morning!

VERY annoyed with council tax - tried to change direct debit online but spent 10 mins registering only to find they have to send you password in the post. Tried ringing, but spent 5 mins listening to automated voice telling me all the things I could and should do online.

Tried to log back in to request a pin number (they don't send one automatically) but apparently the information I gave 'does not match our records' - since they only asked for ref number (RIGHT), bank account number (RIGHT), surname (RIGHT) postcode (RIGHT) and amount of last direct debit - I can only assume their DD has gone up a matter of pence since the November bank account I have in front of me...

Grrr.

So it seems I can't even request a pin number!

Will try to ring again later when I'm not quite so annoyed with them

Anyway, off to give blood - haven't been able to for ages because of anti thyroid medication - you have to wait 2 years after finishing it, but I've done that now Let's see if I have enough to give! (sometimes it's quite reluctant to come out... )
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Feb 14, 4:13 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 45,851 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    More spends to declare...

4.30 all day bus ticket
    2 on 100 tealight candles
    14 paint and paint pad for attic wall

Feel quite sheepish buying paint, i've actually never really done it before, not new and a colour i've chosen! Never actually decorated a room even vaguely from scratch, EVER, so this feels very odd!

Of course our attic is already full of stuff, has green curtains and red patterned rugs on the floor, but it's currently painted entirely white and i thought a bit of sunshiney yellow might cheer it up

does feel quite scandalously wasteful not seeing what's in the cellar first although i know full well there's nothing like this!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Feb 14, 4:17 PM
    • 32,404 Posts
    • 191,546 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You've been off that anti-thyroid stuff for two years? Wow! That went really quickly ... hope they had nice biccies at the blood bank if I carry on feeling this well, I might see if they'll let me donate this time - I'm Group O, which is handy for them, tho I'm also Rh pos, which cuts down the usefulness a bit, but not too much.

Your council tax peeps have been Officially Annoying! I managed to speak to a real live person at the council office after about 3 minutes, when I was doing my taxes, and she was really helpful. Hope you get one of those the next time you try to get the situation sorted...
    Retired August 2016
    • starnac
    • By starnac 7th Feb 14, 6:30 PM
    • 5,366 Posts
    • 25,304 Thanks
    starnac
    Jury service sounds really interesting.

to the name on the joint account though! I mean I can understand, she only recently moved out after all
    Savings 200
    Overpayments made 0/1208.15
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Feb 14, 7:08 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 45,851 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    i've only just got her off the tv licence starnac! they wouldn't let me change it unless she signed to say it was ok rofl rofl i cancelled it altogether and set a new one up - and they still sent her a letter asking her to confirm the cancellation rofl

(as it happens she only lives round the corner and we get on very well, but i'd feel a bit daft asking her to cancel a 20 year old tv licence rofl rofl )
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Feb 14, 8:21 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 45,851 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oops, missed you there kc, sorry! Tis indeed two years - operation was december 2011, which seems both ages ago and like yesterday... Feel SO much better now though!

Might have just had a takeaway...
    • starnac
    • By starnac 8th Feb 14, 6:52 AM
    • 5,366 Posts
    • 25,304 Thanks
    starnac
    i've only just got her off the tv licence starnac! they wouldn't let me change it unless she signed to say it was ok rofl rofl i cancelled it altogether and set a new one up - and they still sent her a letter asking her to confirm the cancellation rofl

(as it happens she only lives round the corner and we get on very well, but i'd feel a bit daft asking her to cancel a 20 year old tv licence rofl rofl )
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    when we moved in this house, DH set up all the bills but the electric bill came to Mr A *our surname*. DH's initial is C so I rang them up and said I think you've made a mistake. The electric company wouldn't change it unless they spoke to Mr A himself. I kept telling them there was no MR A but they were adamant. We gave up in the end and we still get letters for Mr A!
    Savings 200
    Overpayments made 0/1208.15
    • DedicatedDFW
    • By DedicatedDFW 8th Feb 14, 9:22 AM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    DedicatedDFW
    Hi Cheery and everyone,

I have to say i think making a quick call to a company is becoming more and more elusive - i am still surprised now if i complete a call within 15 minutes with no need to call back / do anything extra. And it is so frustrating listening for ages about on-line info especially when you can't do what they want you to on-line / have access to on-line.

Anywho's back to the important stuff - what was the takeaway ?

Let us know how you get on with decorating - it sounds like it will be a nice cheerful colour
    CC1:T 2531 1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: 10575.20 Target 12,100
    MF Date: August 2042 May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Feb 14, 11:38 AM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 45,851 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    It was actually a pretty tasty Chinese - I had fried bean curd in satay sauce Not feeling remotely guilty as that's exactly what the treats budget is there for, and at 11 for both of us it hardly broke the bank

Nice MSE day so far today - just ran 10.5 miles (!!) and am now fit for nothing but lounging around being waited on
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,665Posts Today

7,459Users online

Martin's Twitter