Fixed speed cameras on M1?

Comments

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There have been speed cameras on the m1 north and south between Notts and London for ages. All the smart motorway sections have them. They’re often slightly hidden by the variable speed limit light signs that stretch across the road. I’d swear they move them from one sign to a different one every now and then too but that could also be my imagination �� likewise the m25 also has multiple speed cameras fixed to some of the variable speed limit light up signs. I usallh see traffic officers parked up behind walls on there, presumably with portable cameras.

This is yet another M1, and the one least likely to be used routinely by the residents of our dear island home. (The other island.)
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry, theres seems to be some confusion here - i posted this on the Northern Ireland board, so not talking about the M1 on the mainland nor the one in the ROI.

Its the one in NI. :)
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I heard the ones on the M1 have machine guns fitted. If they detect that you are a central lane hogger, you are obliterated.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • motorguy
    edited 11 January 2019 at 9:17PM
    tara747 wrote: »
    1. Speeding = speeding = breaking the law.
    2. Are the authorities obliged to disclose the presence/location of speed cameras?
    3. As you don't speed, you have no worries in either case.

Not so clear cut :-

1. I didnt say you wouldnt be breaking the law, i was saying you wouldnt get done for it. You can speed and not be done for it. Generally under the basis of the threshold of 10% + 2 MPH from memory. I personally wouldnt trust that, but you can almost with absolute certainty break the speed limit and sit at 72MPH for example with no fear of being done for it. Generally the police wont bother you on the motorway for doing anything up to 80MPH.

2. Yes.

3. Mild passing curiosity led me to ask. :)
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    I heard the ones on the M1 have machine guns fitted. If they detect that you are a central lane hogger, you are obliterated.

We have no middle lane here.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • We have no middle lane here.

Yes we do, there is a middle lane on parts of the M1 and M2. And yes, many people don’t know how to use it properly.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    tara747 wrote: »
    2. Are the authorities obliged to disclose the presence/location of speed cameras?
    Yes...
    So far as I recall, they have to be visible, not hidden (dayglo paint is usually involved), they have to have been signed beforehand (a lot of roads over here have permanent speed camera signs, even though the cameras are mobile/temporary). I can't recall the distance/frequency of the signage, but not having it renders any fines void...

The justification here is that cameras are for safety, not collecting revenue, and it's not safe if someone bombing along spots a camera unexpectedly and jams on the brakes.
  • motorguy
    RikM wrote: »
    Yes...
    So far as I recall, they have to be visible, not hidden (dayglo paint is usually involved), they have to have been signed beforehand (a lot of roads over here have permanent speed camera signs, even though the cameras are mobile/temporary). I can't recall the distance/frequency of the signage, but not having it renders any fines void...

The justification here is that cameras are for safety, not collecting revenue, and it's not safe if someone bombing along spots a camera unexpectedly and jams on the brakes.

And thats totally how it should be. And as you say, these are supposed to be able safety not revenue collection.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I dont agree that cameras should be visible. People should have a good understanding of the law and seek to be compliant. Its really easy to do. Just ensure that your car doesnt exceed the speed limit.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    I dont agree that cameras should be visible. People should have a good understanding of the law and seek to be compliant. Its really easy to do. Just ensure that your car doesnt exceed the speed limit.

Just out of interest... How often do you get your speedo calibrated? They're usually not all that accurate...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure