Crunchy's Final Debt Free Diary!

Comments

• crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Glad YNAB is working for you. I'm sorry your business didn't work out either, but at least you realised quite quickly and didn't spend a long time doing something that you hated.

I hope 2019 is everything you want it to be. x

Thank you - you too!

Im actually going to use everything I learned, just not in the way that was intended (if that makes sense).

Crunchy x
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • crunch_time
    Evening diary!

Starting strong for 2019 and it's not even here yet!

The first DIY job of 2019 is decorating the sitting room so we bought paint (all budgeted for) but bought one too many tubs so will return one or exchange it for another colour for the next room we do - £20 saved.

We also budgeted £100 for a few ikea organising bits and only spent £73 so I have 'slushed' the rest over onto the Virgin 0%.

Speaking of which, I have added £2380 of credit onto it with a fee of 4% but 0% until 30th November 2019. So this now stands at a horrific £8882 and will be such a big nut to crack!!

I also had a £35 in my purse as some Christmas money but decided to put it towards my HSBC credit card since this is the smallest. Although it is not much, this now stands at £2715.

So some good stuff to begin with. All decs are now down and the big sort out of the house begins before I start my new job next Thursday!!

Crunchy x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Evening diary,

Phew what a week! New job has been started - its such a lovely relaxed school compared with where I was used to and the children are lovely. I forgot how much I loved just being with the children and helping them learn and feel sad that the negativity around teaching got me down so much I actually quit. I can't imagine doing it for the next 30 years in its current form but I shall build my career around my love for it.

There might be an opportunity for more days after Easter so I have been doing lots of calculating around how much money that will actually be after childcare etc and it also made me think long term about what I want from September. DD is going to start school so in theory I could go full time but i want to be there to pick her up from school a few days a week at least and her not to go to club (and for me to work on my other side project etc so perhaps 3 days a week for the next 18 months or so will suit me down to the ground. the difference between full time and 3 days a week per month is about £600 ish so would be worth it and no constant liaising with a job share. I've probably chatted about this loads before but now I feel like I know where I am going in my career and would like to have more of a strategic plan in place. Being at home with my kids in the holidays is one for my priorities right now so it might be teaching for the foreseeable future - till they go to high school - and then I can go forward with my own dreams.

In other news, the dishwasher has broken and the warranty expired (although I am going to double double check this) so will be using the lovely emergency fund to pay for another one (£400).

YNAB is going well so far. Husband and I have agreed our next step is to check our budget on the app more regularly than we do.

We have also been looking at a snowball calculator. With current payments it would take is 6 years to pay it all of - 6 years! Not going to happen we MUST be debt free before 40 (2-3 years).

We have our big holiday this year and then we shall start hammering the debt down to be debt free by the time husband is 40 at the end of 2020. That's a nice target. If I work 3 days a week from September it will be paid off by then so it is doable so long as we stay focused and STICK TO THE BUDGET! That is the theme this year for sure.

I have a day off tomorrow without children so am planning to do a big house audit (after finishing some school work) and perhaps dust off my ebay app as I have a whole boot full of carp waiting to be taken to the charity shop and I'm sure I can find some treasures to be sold.

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • Glad the new job is going well and you're enjoying teaching again. I have a couple of friends who have children; one does 5 mornings a week PPA cover so she has no marking and is always there to pick her children up after school.... the other works 3 whole days, so that she has a couple of days a week to do as she chooses.
    The weighing up of 2 vs 3 days is always tricky.... the third day never brings in as much as you hope as the income gets hammered by tax and childcare. Sounds like you have a solid plan though.

I've looked into teaching myself; I'm currently a radiographer (similar wages after a few years, I think), but the short term pay cut to start at the bottom of a career ladder again would be a bit painful.
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Belated New Year to you and your family crunchy!

Your plans are tip top - all the best for 2019!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Glad the new job is going well and you are liking it. It's such a shame that amazing teachers are having to leave because of this. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • crunch_time
    Evening all

YNAB was going great until somehow the HSBC credit card for some reason wouldn't match the actual balance. Husband couldn't make head nor tail of it so we have scrapped it and started again with a new budget. Everything is all in budget except for food but we still have lots in stock so will get frugal and hopefully we wont have to raid the emergency fund too much. I think I am too optimistic with food and perhaps extending our budget would be better from £450 to £500 and really properly plan what we buy.

It's time to talk about the holiday.

We have booked a big holiday this year in August to somewhere in the Carribean! We are mega excited of course and it is mega expensive but will totally be worth it. The balance left to pay is £5300 by mid-May which is not totally possible. Our aim is to pay it all off before we go so it must be gone before the end of July. We also have to get new passports for the kids and me, hotel for the night before, a couple of excursions, spending money and travel insurance so can add on another £600-£1000 on as well. I'm not too worried about that right now. Paying off the balance is £760 ish a month which is totally doable so long as we are careful with everything else.

Husband and I have agreed that this is a fantastic challenge for us and we are on it in terms of hitting that target as soon as possible. Getting some more days at work after Easter will go far towards this goal as well.

Payday should be this coming Friday. I'm going to ring up HR tomorrow to check I'm on the payroll so fingers crossed. If it is that should be the first £500 towards the holiday balance.

I've just renewed my home insurance and got cashback - it should be at least £75 if not £120. That will be a nice little addition to the holiday pot. When I get paid I shall do the same for travel insurance.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Morning all

Signature updated!

I have included all debt even though some of it is expenses we are STILL WAITING for husbands company to pay him back!

Also the car loan even though that's not as high a priority right now.

And the holiday balance which is the main focus at the moment.

Also current emergency fund totals just so I can see that it is not all bad.

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Afternoon all!

I've been 'on it' the last few days.

- I made a casserole from stores yesterday and it was lovely!
    - I audited the summer (i know!) clothes from the suitcase on top of the wardrobe so I can start planning what we need NOW rather than panic buy at the last minute after we have stretched ourselves too thin. I have absolutely no summer work clothes so shall need to start thinking for me and the children.
    - We seem to have smashed a few mugs and glasses recently so I bought some new ones today using my nector points - only £1.75 over.

Ive been emergency taxed on Friday but it should be enough to pay my own credit cards bills for the first time in a year!! Im also getting my hair cut and coloured for the first time in a year on saturday using my own money. Hurrah!!

Off to do the school run now!

Crunch xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Nothing wrong in forward thinking the summer clothing crunchy.

Happy hair anniversary!:D
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income