2018 New year, new focus and new mission

Comments

• pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Loved your comment about being on January lockdown!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • Tea & Aaleigha - I couldn't live with the guilt of fibbing, but happy managed to use the voucher. I am on a mission in jan and can get away with not paying any cash to my you gear trip as it's not due for a month! This should give me £100 safety net, hopefully won't need it.

Pidge - definitely on lockdown and we call in no fun January! All treats / trips out have to be free which makes it hard. My dad gets Cineworld 6 x vouchers from his bank so hopefully combined with meerkat movies that'll be 3 visits to the cinema.

I'm really lucky that the children understand our financial position at the minute. The eldest is definitely a saver and has offered to pay for the outstanding balance of DodE. As much as I appreciate the gesture I've said not a chance thank you. Just take this as a life lesson never get into debt!

Accounts all look the same apart from EF which has £1000.24 (not 23p)
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Afternoon Choccygirl. It's good that DC understand the money situation and the value of it and your eldest offering to pay for the DofE is lovely.

If mine ask anything about finance they always get an answer. DS is only 13 but obsessed with buying his own home when he's got a job and wants to know things like how much our mortgage and bills are etc. so we happily tell him. I don't understand how they learn about things otherwise. A lot of people would probably think they know too much but I want them to be prepared for the road ahead of them which I don't think is going to be an easy one for their generation.

Hope the DC are feeling better. Have a great day. :)
  • Our eldest is the same as your DS. Sges a complete saver and polar opposite to the youngest who fritters it away. The eldest is already meal planning for whilst she's at uni :rotfl: she's going to get a beef joint roast it on Sunday, chips and beef Monday and mince what's left for chilli or spaghetti Bol. I love her forward thinking.

I always said there's three life skills I'll teach them, swimming driving and cooking. They can conquer the world with them.
  • Posting a day early but going to post every outstanding debt, but so I can keep track of the totals abd track our progress.

Mortgage 1 - Nationwide £100338
    Mortgage 2 - Barclays £41755
    Zopa 1 loan - £8887.65
    Zopa 2 loan - £3792.49
    0% cc - £3523.73

Grabs total = £158296 give a pence! That's the first time I've ever added it all up together. It's actually less than I thought. We're cash rich abd cash poor

Target 2019
    I'd love to clear £7500 (which includes min payments & loan instalments of approx £375 per month = £4500) in total off our debt but it's going to be a real push depending on my job situation.

Finding 3k is going to be really hard if I lose my job, but I desperately want to clear the 0% credit card before the deals ends on 1/12/19. I love a good challenge!
  • Pay day at last for hubby and my 0% min credit card payment and mortgage already gone. Scary looking amount in our account with losing large chunk of his pay.

When I think about when we had od's we'd be at £600 down at this time of the month. It's amazing how much it messes up with budgets and things. I never want to be in od again and I feel panicky that we may fall into it over next two months. We can use our EF is we have to, but that would be my last resort.

Balance joint - £1416.45 / available £1323.91
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Happy New Year to you and yours Choccygirl. Hope it's a good one for you in all respects. x
  • Happy new year! Thanks tea, you too lovely. 2019 will be a great debt busting year for us all x

I love bank holidays when all the direct debits are pending but our account still has plenty of cash it in! No activity to report.

Today will our first of many NSD.
  • Lovely start to the new year. Lazy day for me baking and cooking a leg of lamb and all the trimmings. I've squirelled away a chocolate gateaux (my fab) and a bacon flan into the freezer. Did huge stack of road ties with dinner thinking I'd get a few in feeezer, but no chance with hubby and children.

They all went from a huge walk around the village before dinner, so were than ready for it! The children stripped the table and blitzed the kitchen for me before sitting fine to a movie evening.

I was safely tucked up in bed by 10pm abd feeling shattered. We've nothing planned tomorrow so looking forward to another lazy day pottering abd starting the great 2019 declutter!
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Just read from the start and what an amazing diary.

You haven't only cleared £67 though because didn't you add 4k too? So you've actually cleared a lot more! Along with the overdrafts and everything else. Along side not working and being unwell. You should be proud of yourself!

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure