PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves

Options

Comments

• noonesperfect
    Options
    webtalk wrote: »
    You can get it most places, and there are some speciality shops.

Doubt it is cheaper than bags. They use the 'sweepings' for teabags - essentially the close-to-dust-without-dissolving-bits.

Loose leaves are also easier for composting - one doesn't have to tear each individual bag open to remove the tea.

Oh dear,is my front garden is going to look like a teabag graveyard? I never tear the bags for the compost :eek: :rolleyes: :o . Sorry I do use teabags but at least they're Yorkshire.
    :wave:
  • bellaquidsin
    Options
    Oh dear,is my front garden is going to look like a teabag graveyard? I never tear the bags for the compost :eek: :rolleyes: :o . Sorry I do use teabags but at least they're Yorkshire.

Might well do, because those little bags do not decompose.:mad:

I think loose tea is cheaper than bags. After all someone's got to pay for it being put into those bags.:rolleyes: It certainly works out cheaper for me as I drink my tea very weak without milk.

I remember once reading Shirley Goode on the subject. She said loose tea worked out about half the price of teabags. Mind you that was a long time ago and things change.

Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Might well do, because those little bags do not decompose.:mad:

Is that really true ?:eek: I'm astonished, I've been chucking them on the compost for years.
  • saving-grace
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    I've been chucking them on the compost for years.

Me too, and no trace of teabags in our garden.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Is that really true ?:eek: I'm astonished, I've been chucking them on the compost for years.

So do I, and mine disappear without trace. Though there was a period where the tea decomposed, but left empty bags (and I don't tear them open, either). I wondered if they were made from polypropylene :confused: They were easy enough to fish out and chuck ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • bellaquidsin
    bellaquidsin Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So do I, and mine disappear without trace. Though there was a period where the tea decomposed, but left empty bags (and I don't tear them open, either). I wondered if they were made from polypropylene :confused: They were easy enough to fish out and chuck ;)

Penny. x

Yes, that's a point, maybe different manufacturers use different materials, but my little bags have certainly been with me after a couple of years. As we only use teabags when we have visitors it's never been a problem as there have never been too many. My husband heard recently on the radio that thay are not made of bio-degradable material so I thought that was official?!!!:rolleyes:

Bella
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    I'm a loose tea person too. Until v recently I was using punjana loose tea (£1.68 in tesco) mostly cos I hadn't sourced any other tea. But then discovered that asda do loose tea at 59p for the same size (I think about 250g). The asda tea is a bit more powdery but since we are getting through huge amounts of it at the mo I'm mixing it 50/50 with the punjana to no ill effects. M&S also do loose tea which is nice as well - it was on buy one get one half price until recently.
  • carolinosourus
    Options
    Mum's been composting since I can remember and we've never had random bits of tea-bag in the compost!
    :D**Thanks to everyone on here for hints, tips and advice!**:D
    MSEers are often quicker than google

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear" - G. Orwell
  • beetrootjuicer
    Options
    I drink organic loose green tea and it's certainly cheaper than bags especially the way I make it. I make a pot of tea first thing in the morning, drink that and then simply add about a 1/4 teaspoon top-up of tea for every subsequent pot. I first did this as an experiment in economy as the first organic green tea on the market was an exorbitant price (£4 pack) but then found I liked the flavour better and theoretically it's better healthwise as the antioxidants etc. have more time to be released into the tea. I'm told this is how the Japanese make tea but that may or may not be true, I don't know. If you try this don't leave a lot of tea in the pot or it will stew and you'll end up tipping your antioxidants down the sink. Don't know if this method would work with the black teas - they might be too strong.
  • ScoobieGirl
    Options
    Hi,

Was in Morrisons last night and they had some OB loose tea that was 75p, but was either on BOGOF or 2 for £1, I think it was the former.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback