Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,316Posts
    • 13,852Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 6:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 6:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975
Page 14
    • murie
    • By murie 14th May 19, 4:20 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 10,089 Thanks
    murie
    "Aww Peppa.Mr V didn't want a cat either!So we got 2. "

Vulpix- you are my kinda gal!!!
    lovin' this site!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 14th May 19, 8:39 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 17,397 Thanks
    Peppapig
    "Aww Peppa.Mr V didn't want a cat either!So we got 2. "

Vulpix- you are my kinda gal!!!
    Originally posted by murie
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 15th May 19, 9:02 AM
    • 935 Posts
    • 16,592 Thanks
    vulpix
    Today as my Auntie Eileen used to say I am going to knock spots off.My mobility is improving daily.

The blue drawers are finished but only look ok to a blind man on a galloping horse. I have bought some good quality pine drawers from fb for £5.They had been painted with crackle glaze and then varnished.They are coming up a treat.Will probs sell them on to add to the holiday spends pot.

Need to spend some time in my garden today,I did my Mum's garden yesterday.Am loving this weather.

Life is looking so much more positive.

0246 have you had your op yet?

Love to all Vx
    • murie
    • By murie 15th May 19, 10:58 AM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 10,089 Thanks
    murie
    Vulpix- that is fabulous to hear!! You are going great guns lady xx
    lovin' this site!
    • murie
    • By murie 17th May 19, 4:23 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 10,089 Thanks
    murie
    Think summer may have come and gone again

Im hoping that the old adage that things break/go wrong in three's isn't true (although it has been in the past).My microwave has been playing up so DS has picked a nice new one up, and the tumble dryer is making a terrible racket every now and again, so probably on its way out. If the adage is true, then please let it be something cheap and easily replaceable!!
    lovin' this site!
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 18th May 19, 8:15 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 13,473 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    not hugely a cat owner, but definitely a cat loving one. Had one cat, Bramble (so called because she was a blackite-local name for blackberry-) who was a sweetie, very friendly and affectionate, lasted 17 years, and actually died on the day l got my breast cancer diagnosis. Cant face having another. There is however , locally a gorgeous old white and black cat who believes that he lives with ALL of us, 6-8 houses, comes for a pet, a drink and a fuss, sleeps in the conservatory, goes up the stairs, scares the bejazus out of you when he appears on your bed at midnight asking to go out and go home.
    This lovely weather has given me the chance to get the garden tidied up and ready for phase 4. Also have done the planters and baskets for 3 of my neighbours and given plants to 2 others.
    On the black side, tho, my friend has been turned down for PIP so we need to start the mandatory consideration paperwork this weekend. Hope you all have sunshine and a great weekend. x
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 18th May 19, 9:25 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 17,397 Thanks
    Peppapig
    MRSINVIS strangely enough our gorgeous Jack Russell Bonnie died completely unexpectedly between my diagnosis and going in for surgery. DH wonít countenance having another as he was so upset by it. Iím hoping he might come round to a kitten although heís never really been a cat person. On the upside I donít miss the daily dog/cat hair purge. Thatís a pain for your friend. Weíre still chasing the DWP for PIP arrears due from last Summer. It keeps being put through for payment but someone misunderstands and blocks it. Theyíve said itíll definitely go through this time so fingers crossed theyíre right.

Nothing festive happening due to my current garden obsession and redecorating the bedroom (again) but I have thought about it a couple of times recently so thatís progress.

Itís just stopped raining here so hereís hoping it brightens up now although Iím not holding my breath.

Only two weeks today til our hols, yay!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 18th May 19, 4:38 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 16,592 Thanks
    vulpix
    My black cat was called Bramble too. Peppa consider an older cat too,how could "Daddy pig" refuse an animal in need.All but 2 of my cats have been 2nd hand.Glad to hear you have the gardening bug.My garden is looking lovely atm.I am looking at houses on rightmove,knocking all the internal walls down and redesigning the garden,gives me sleepless nights!

I have absoloutely nothing to say but don't want the thread to fizzle out again.

Love to all Vx
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 19th May 19, 6:52 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 13,473 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    aaarrrGGGHHH. Just when you think all is going well, you get an email saying your sons car insurance has auto renewed!! He went back to a motability car so he doesn't need this! guess how l will be spending my morning!!!! On a better note, l am going out for a curry with DS2 and 2 of his friends tonight, y-u-m.
    • murie
    • By murie 19th May 19, 7:28 AM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 10,089 Thanks
    murie
    Mrs I- hope you enjoyed your curry x.

Vulpix- Im the same, I dont have anything to say but I post cus I dont want it to fizzle out!

My first cat was called Trouble (because DH didn't want a cat and I did so I knew she would likely cause trouble between us. She did- for all of an hour til he fell in love with her!) She was a black and white British short hair She was 3 weeks shy of 19 yrs when we lost her. My second was Simba, he was the most loving tom ever, ( large tabby) he had a passion for frogs and single handedly decimated the local frog population. He was 11. The little panther (Russian Blue) that currently treats the place like a hotel is Bailey- he is 3. For the first 6 weeks after we got him he was 'Mylie'- even the vet said so. He was so tiny - today he is a large rangy happy boy who rules the roost. Whenever he comes home he makes a beeline for our German Shepherd (Ruby ) and has to fuss and kiss her. Unfortunately for Ruby that means he stands on her head and pushes her around til she is in the right position for him to give her some cat kisses. She is very good with him (not that she has much choice really).

On a Christmas note- I saw my first Christmas tree this morning! Someone has set one up complete with tinsel and bauble in their front garden! It made me smile although I did think I was seeing things to begin with!
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 19th May 19, 8:27 AM
    • 935 Posts
    • 16,592 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hope you are soon sorted out Mrs I.

Murie I remember when you got Bailey.Russian Blues are just so handsome.My big rescue boy,Rover was a very close relative of a Russian Blue. He could have been one as he was picked up as a stray so no known history.

Just a thought Peppa, perhaps a different species might help Daddy pig.A cat won't remind him of your lovely dog. Animals are so sensitive to humans.Whilst I have been so ill my neighbours cat Millie came to check up on me several times a day.I only see her occasionaly now.A nurse cat.She even brought me a mouse.

My two cats have pushed our bedroom window wider and are currently dancing about on the extension roof.Mr V who didn't want a cat is in the garden videoing the spectacle!

Today is the day! I am going in the loft,with my boot on I might add.We have raised enough money to pay for the holiday,pay for car parking at the airport,the visas and now onto spends.There must be rich pickings in the loft!

Vx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 19th May 19, 8:43 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 17,397 Thanks
    Peppapig
    VULPIX youíre definitely on a roll with the fundraising, youíve done amazingly well. Good luck with unearthing your treasures from the loft. Iím still laughing at the idea of DH as Daddy Pig.

MURIE I think May might be a bit early even for us Christmas nuts - or is it?

MRSINVIS thatís so annoying. Iím pretty sure theyíre supposed to notify you a few weeks before they auto renew not just tell you theyíve done it so give them what for .
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 19th May 19, 8:58 AM
    • 7,938 Posts
    • 53,314 Thanks
    kerri gt
    vulpix please be careful in the loft! Well done on all the fundraising, I need to do a car boot but finding the time ATM is a struggle, free weekends are few and far between and I don't really want to shoehorn something else in... so currently it's looking like August that never seems a good time as people are either all on holiday or just out for a stroll with the kids. I shall have to see.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,684Posts Today

6,916Users online

Martin's Twitter