PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lidl launch "damaged vegetable" box

Options
Lidl are launching a DAMAGED vegetable box - of 5kg of vegetable "seconds" at just £1.50 in all of their stores !

Good on yer - Lidl !!

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A nice idea, except the ones I saw in my store were only fit for compost heap
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My box was brilliant 4 apples 4 oranges 4pears 2 bananas and a bag of grapes and a bag of blueberries 1 tomato 3 leeks anda bag of mushrooms there was a few other things but they have been eaten.I was very impressed but only managed to get the box once as they go really quickly first thing when the shop opens.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not for me. Too big a quantity and will contain things I don't like/won't eat. They don't half flog some funny old veggies these days :)
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    We have bought them twice , once 2 weeks ago and once yesterday.
    They are excellent. Yesterdays purchase was 2 boxes and included mushrooms which I had been going to buy in any case. Also Grapes and Strawberries, apricots and courgettes. We composted one apricot, 3 apples and half a satsuma. The box from 2 weeks ago had apples that I had been going to buy anyway,, we composted 2 pears and that box included fairtrade bananas, jersey royals,a mango, 2 ready to eat avocados, snack sized cucumbers and tomatoes. The value of the boxes is around 10 times the paid price (I looked it all up to check) so a few bits that end up in the compost is really no great disaster.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not for me. Too big a quantity and will contain things I don't like/won't eat. They don't half flog some funny old veggies these days :)

You could always compost the whole lot ..
  • tiredwithtwins
    Options
    I had a look in my local lidl about a month or so ago .. it was mid day so perhaps the decent boxes had already gone, but the 3 boxes left were full of very unusable fruit and veg ... mouldy and bruised beyond use .. perhaps I need to go earlier :)
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 May 2019 at 9:14AM
    Options
    I hope these vegetables are not the same as the yellow label discounted vegetables in my local Tesco's. They cost about one fifth of the full price but many items are not suitable for human consumption in my view. I have found several items in the early stages of rot judging by the oder given off when their packages are opened. Also I have found lettuce in packaged ready-made salads reduced to a green slime at the bottom of the package.

Discounted cheap food? More like expensive compost.
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but a Lidl has just opened near me and I was hoping to get these boxes. Has anyone had any recent experiences with them?
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • I_like_Weymouth
    Options
    Our Lidl have them and if you are not going to eat produce from the box the same day, forget it. The "oldies" go through the boxes and swop items, so some boxes have nothing but the same produce:mad:.
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh really? That's a shame :( I was really hoping they'd be a good bargain lol
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family